BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Warmachine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Embark
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this is the BOARDGAMEGEEK but I just wanted to see if anyone else around here has any experience with this minis game. I recently picked up 6 of the box sets for a song and am in the process of painting my armies up.

So far things look really good. I enjoy building military models but this will give me a needed break from researching historical paint schemes and worrying about accuracy of builds.

The ruleset is in the mail but from what I have read about the game, it looks like it's a nice alternative to the Games Workshop line of games. The prices on the figures aren't cheap but since I got quite already, I might take the plunge and see about getting at least a small force together.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Overall, I think it's the best miniatures game on the market. Considerably better than anything put out by Games Workshop.

The rules are great. Not terribly complicated, but consistent and fairly detailed. The miniatures aren't exactly cheap, but they're all solid pewter except for the bases, and you don't need as many of them as you do with many games.

The only real competition I'd say is Confrontation by Rackham, but from a purely game standpoint I think that Warmachine is the better of the two. As far as the miniatures themselves go, many will give the edge to Confrontation, but they're really rather close in quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Warmachine. It's pretty much the only miniatures game that I play.

There's a thriving Warmachine message board community at the Privateer Press website -- you should check over there for info about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Six of the box sets? Are you referring to the battlegroup box sets? Do you have the four factions plus the two mercenary battlegroups?
Warmachine is a pretty nice game. It is considerably less complex than Warhammer, which is both its strength and weakness. The minis are great.
I am selling my Cryx army ( 657 points, plus colour cards, rule book, and templates ) as I decided that I'll play Privateer Press' Hordes when it come out in April. It is more traditional fantasy ( no steam powered contraptions ). The two games are compatible.
I stopped playing Warmachine when I got into Confrontation ( third edition ). It is also a skirmish game, but is more along the lines of Warhammer in its complexity.
Warmachine is neat to introduce new players to. All you have to do is play one box set battlegroup versus another for a good intro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Embark
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have all six of the battlegroup box sets. The four factions and two mercenary sets.

I am painting up the Khador figures right now and plan to tackle the menoth next. It definitely looks interesting and I love painting so if nothing else, I have some cool minis to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine is excellent. I'd given up on GW miniatures games because of the endless dice rolling and looking up of tables and special rules. Warmachine has got me back into miniatures again. It's dripping with atmosphere, easy to play and lots of fun, and the minis are very well designed. And you don't need hundreds of them to play. I've been having good games with just 2 battlegroups (those are mine on the blue background here in the BGG Warmachine image gallery).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
me and my friend are having a lot of fun playing that even that we are the only ones that play in our countery (mabye i'm getting too far but no contets meetings nothing). we even haven;t bought new units more the the basic set but we still enjoys it and thinking on buying new minis. i think you would enjoy it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in it since the start and it rocks, great company with excellent customer service..if you didn't already have the rules, I would suggest you wait for the new Hordes coming out, which will be playable by itself or an addition to Warmachine...which essentially turns it into an 8 faction game!!!!!!ninja

I play Menoth, and once you start snagging figures and working out different combos, it gets HIGHLY addictiverobot...especially if you choose to play with people you enjoy using tactics...which means keeping the point score around 4-500, that means you have to be VERY selective about what you field....GREAT GAME!!!!laugh

http://www.privateerpress.com/

http://www.privateerpress.com/HORDES/default.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.