Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrowing dogfights, family drama, shootouts, a tender moment, amazing monsters, humor.

There's a tempo to Star Wars. We all remember Luke screaming NOOOOOOO at Vader. For different reasons, we remember Anakin turned Vader screaming NOOOOOO. But we also remember Leia offering a little cracker to an ewok. We remember first seeing Darth Maul's double lightsaber. And we remember Han saying "I know."

It is NOT all pew-pew-pew. It is NOT all Vrusssshhhhhhhzwwwmzwwwmmm. It's a cycle of teasing action and drama.

Even though the X-Wing Minis game plays out some incredible dogfight sequences, the play of the game is NOT a straight forward flow.

I've got dozens of rounds under my belt now, and I've been wanting to write a review, and it finally came to me what it is that makes this game such rip roaring fun.

It's not the astoundingly detailed minis. And anyone complaining about scale needs to take a close look at the movies, where the scale of the ships to each other changes from shot to shot due to the compositing techniques used at the time.

The minis are awesome. I'm somewhat surprised that different ships use different plastics, but I understand why. That denser stuff used on the X-Wing would collapse a Falcon into itself.

The prepaint jobs are incredible. The cards gorgeous, the components just off the scale. Even with the bit more they must pay in royalties to Uncle George, the massive appeal of this game allows them to make a ton of copies and the price, while at first glance seems daunting, isn't a lot for what you get.

What makes the game work is the pendulum swing. The rhythm.

First, the setup. The agonizing squad building. Is it worth 2 points to raise this pilot's skill, not knowing what the enemy force contains? It could easily be two points that have ZERO effect on the game. Terribly tough gambles. Now that wave 2 is out and you could just as easily face a hulking mothership like a decked out Slave I or a swarm of the world's most annoying TIE fighters, you really have to prepare for a wide contingency of opponents.

This setup is tense. You want flexible. But strong. Synergistic support between squad members, but not so much that the loss of a key ship means defeat. And you ALWAYS want about 3 more points for that perfect build. No matter how many points you choose to fight, you will kill for another 3.

So it's got that whole squad building aspect down great. Especially now that there's a ton of options. Who knows what your opponent will bring?

But the flow of a turn is brilliant.

Everybody chooses their maneuvers. No downtime. But here in the game is where you are playing cat and mouse. Maybe psychologically toying with the opponent, making them think your plan is A when it is actually B.

Hidden agendas and secret moves. That's the next game that plays out after the squad building math.

Then the wonderful move system. Everyone slowly reveals their moves, in what might be the games most questioned rule. The lowest skilled dudes go first, and eventually the better skilled dudes, which mean they have a fairly good chance of accidentally hitting and losing their action, where the lower skill guy might pull it off.

But it works in the long run, because it keeps higher skills in tailing positions.

Bit in this phase of the game, again, very, very little downtime, as the nefarious plans and maneuvers are revealed.

Squeals of glee and grunts of horror abound as unexpected collisions happen and skillful turns are executed.

But then comes the start of your devastating on the spot decision making. While plotting your squadrons moves, you had an overall plan. Now, each ship must choose it's precious action.

Evade? How many guys might end up firing on you? Target? Are you clear to get the shot this or next turn? Focus - the all purpose "Egads, I need help" token. Or maybe that barrel roll or super freakin cool new Boost - move a bit maybe out of a firing arc or -surprise - snap someone into your arc. Maybe you execute some trick of your specific pilot.

Here is where you are tempering your odds. Things that will alter the upcoming luck sequence. carefully guiding the gods of luck to your favor.

The tokens build up on the board as actions get selected. At first, this is a pile of confusing cardboard. In a few games, the counters become invisible, simply reminding you of who plans what.

Whew. So, strategic planning in the squad build, then the secrecy of move plotting, then the agonizing action choices. What more does this game need?

Raw luck.

Bring out the dice. Or the iPad app, if you prefer.

Its Star WARS and the dice bring on the war. Now MORE decisions that hurt. Do I spend my focus token to get that extra damage possibly in, or hold on to it to help me avoid possible damage? What if I hold it and no one fires? What a waste... Two hits coming in... Do I evade? Or hold on to the evade since a crit might come next?

Hopefully, you've pile bonus upon bonus on your fighters. Distance, skill, weapon, focus... Or maybe all you've got is a shot in the dark.

Fire away.

Even defenders are active, choosing focus and evade moments.

Again, very little downtime. Lots of whining and cheering. Little downtime.

Start the cycle again. Hidden choices, movement reveals and actions, combat.

I think THIS is why X-Wing is such a stunningly successful design. It bobs and weaves each turn. No phase is long enough to overstay its welcome. And you must juggle and balance each phase to support the others.

An excellently designed system that overcomes any of it's perceived problems due to the overall strength of play.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely review.

I played four matches in five hours on Saturday, and I wasn't tired of playing. I went to sleep that night thinking of maneuvers I should have done to make that A-Wing work just a little better. Or, could I substitute a different missile to be more deadly. What if I went with an Outer Rim Smuggler instead of Tycho? The choices seem endless.

This is just an outstanding game. It's only drawback? The price point to really get into it.

Looking forward to playing more, and more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. This game is just awesome FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: What does this mean for Up Front?Microbadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: Cult of the Old
More an ode than a review, it nonetheless makes for a beautiful read.
Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't just a game for grognards and collectors. Gameplay is simple, and you don't need to collect the latest and greatest expansion to be at the top of the game. X-Wings and TIEs will ALWAYS be viable no matter what expansion comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: What does this mean for Up Front?Microbadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: Cult of the Old
Norsehound wrote:
This isn't just a game for grognards and collectors. Gameplay is simple, and you don't need to collect the latest and greatest expansion to be at the top of the game. X-Wings and TIEs will ALWAYS be viable no matter what expansion comes out.
At least I hope so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Overlord
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, they now pay royalties to uncle Mickey not Uncle George.

But great review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Pretty much sums up my feelings about the game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, overall this is the Promise Fulfilled from FFG as an 'experience' game. It's enthralling and evocative.

However, I do think hobby gamers should know it's still fiddly and more of an hour-plus game at the squad level. I don't mind FFG advertising to the lowest common denominator, but X-Wing is definitely an investment.

Just one that is worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that settles it, officially off the fence and on my way to target, curse you thanks Paul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you field multiple squadrons maybe the game is more than an hour, but typical 100pt matches usually go that long, depending. I've ended games in a half hour before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
If you field multiple squadrons maybe the game is more than an hour, but typical 100pt matches usually go that long, depending. I've ended games in a half hour before.
I lost in just twenty minutes last weekend! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
If you're unfamiliar with your squad, it can take on the longer side.

100 points can easily hit 45 minutes, and yeah, sometimes less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cobb
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
However, I do think hobby gamers should know it's still fiddly...
Fiddly how? The casual gamers I introduced it to found it very straight forward: plan, move using templates and hopefully shoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome review.
Just got my copy on Wednesday.
Every ship but the Two new big ones.
Played a half hour figuring out how to play.
Have since read the rules.

Still not sure I understand the overlapping affects yet.
Does affect both ships. Or just the one causing the overlap.
Do ships collide?
Is their damage involved?

Thanks
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:

Still not sure I understand the overlapping affects yet.
Does affect both ships. Or just the one causing the overlap.
Do ships collide?
Is their damage involved?

Thanks
Joe
The one that "HIT" the other is actually dodging, flying above the other. This causes it to lose its Action. It may not shoot that ship. No damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the ship you run into can still shoot you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:
No. You can check the Forums for detailed answers to all your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:
A ship cannot shoot a ship it is in contact with (except for Arvel Crynyd), regardless of which one caused the contact. But only the one that caused the contact loses its action (since the other ship either already took its action or hasn't moved yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:
You can't shoot in base contact, except some special pilot ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Thanks guys.
I didn't think they could shoot each other.
Just finished reading the rules again.

I see now, only the activating ship loses its action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
SlimJim wrote:
You can't shoot in base contact, except some special pilot ability.
Only in the same round there was an overlap. They FAQ'ed that "touching" is only defined in the same round which an overlap occurs.

So if you overlapped this round and are touching in combat phase, you can't fire on each other. If some how the next round you both move and are still touching (but didn't overlap and have to back track on template) you both can fire on each other.

Really the only time this would happen is if the overlapping player is following and "rear-ends" causing the overlap... Then the next round both players select the same straight movement so bases still touch but did not overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Yes you can. You just can't target the ship you're touching. You can shoot anything else. So you CAN shoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
jacob4408 wrote:
Alex Brown wrote:
However, I do think hobby gamers should know it's still fiddly...
Fiddly how? The casual gamers I introduced it to found it very straight forward: plan, move using templates and hopefully shoot.
It has a tonne of components for what it is.

In some ways, this adds to the experience, in other ways they seem to get in the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
Yes you can. You just can't target the ship you're touching. You can shoot anything else. So you CAN shoot.
Sorry. As a miniatures gamer, I had assumed that people read that as 'can't shoot people in base contact with'.

You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |