Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a trading variant posted over at the Duel of Ages Forums. I find it to be an improvement!

While this will not be part of the Masters Addendum rules set, we are currently looking at an alternative "trading equipment/picking up equipment variant option", which might, if it plays out well over time, become the standard rule in future editions.

VARIANT:

Trading equipment and picking up equipment from the ground are not handled during the Move phase. Instead, equipment may be picked up and traded during the Free Action phase (and only during the Free Action phase).

* Characters in a space containing a hostile enemy cannot trade or pick up cards.

* Except for the above, any allies in the space may freely trade cards between them.

* When picking up cards from the ground, the cards may be picked up and traded around BEFORE the characters discard excess cards. This allows a group of characters to pick up a large stack from the ground without having to discard many of them.

There is a small realism loss here, and it does make Area weapons more dangerous, but it does simplify equipment trading rules. The question will be whether it overbalances Area weapons (our initial impression is that it might not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. I like this variant a lot more. It is a lot more cleaner and smoother than the current rules listed in the MA. It is also a lot easier to explain to new players and gives a good example what Free Action phase is for.

If you go to the original thread in duelofages.com, someone shared that a strategy option opened up. Now you can disrupt people from trading which can spell your demise. I like more options so I like this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like my variant I actually have played with it for so long now that I forgot that it was one

The intention behind the change is to prevent the weirdness that can happen from opfire killing someone who is trading equipment later in the movement. I actually see the slight boost it gives to the effective use of area weapons as a good thing, as those area effect abilities are tough to actually use anyways. They still are, in fact.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.