VICTORIACON January 27-29/ 2006: The Northwest Wargaming Con

3-Day Admission/24 Hour Gameroom: CAN$45

Guest Speakers:

Kevin Zucker and Tom Oleson

Howard Johnson City Centre
310 Gorge Rd. East, Victoria, B.C., Canada, V8T 2W2
Phone: (250)382-2151

Game Auction:

Flea market space will be available for collectable, used or unwanted games. The game auction will take place on Sunday (29th) at 12 Noon.

ROOMS are CAN$49 (up to double occupancy)

TICKETS can be purchased through Stalag 17 Wargames, email stalag17wargames@yahoo.ca or phone (604)421-4281

Games to be played at VictoriaCon (still room to register more games!):

Invasion: Sicily
Triumph of Chaos
Petrograd 1917 (playtest)
ASL- SK series (starter kits 1 & 2)
The Longest Day
Four Lost Battles (OSG)
7 Days of 1809
Grand Fleet (L2 Playtest)
Totaler Krieg/ Dai Sensuo (playtest)
7 Ages
PanzerGrenadier: East Front Deluxe/ Beyond Normandy
Great Battles of Alexander the Great (GBOH)

These include the Operational Napoleonics sessions/instruction by Nathan Hiebert.

Jan 28: Malcolm Green will run a Memoir '44 tournament, featuring a prize for the winner!

Jan 29: Rick White will run ASL-SK starter sessions for those newbies that'd like to learn or brush up on their ASL skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy, Kingmaker and Settlers of Catan have been added to the games being played.

There is also a one-day pass available for CAN$20.

H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Blizzard
Canada
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: VictoriaCon: January 27-29, 2006 in beautiful Victoria,
Hey, how was the con? How many people, what games were played, is this an annual event?

I'm interested because I'm planning on retiring to Salt Spring Island in a few years and need to know all the gaming activities in the area.

Thanks.

Dave Blizzard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This from csw:

"To quote Dennis Hopper from Apocalypse Now, "I am an average man, I am such a small man..." It was all of you that came together to make it all happen.

It is kinda weird reflecting back to MobileCon in August, where I met a bunch of the Victoria guys for the first time...It was a rush being around Stephen Newberg, John Kula, and Ian Weir; all major Canadian game designers/wargame journal publishers. I was just a guy with a bit of enthusiasm surrounded by the shakers and movers within the wargaming community in Canada. John's review in Simulacrum (on Friedrich) ensures MobilCon 1's immortality. It was this event that was the impetus for trying something even bigger, and VictoriaCon was born.

I would like to personally thank the "Coeur de Bois" (Rick White, Brent Louie, Nathan Hiebert, Clayton Baisch, and Craig Nynych); men who would never let a body of water stop them from heading into the unknown to pursue the dream with me.

A special thanks to Tom Cmajdalka, as he stepped up to the plate as the drive for the hotel rooms sputtered; and ultimately ended up being the guy that balanced the budget. In case some of you are not aware, when I went to cash out at the front desk; the manager reworked our deal (voiding our initial contract), and we were able to totally balance our budget (including the breakfasts and endless coffee). We'd be fools not to work with HoJo City-Centre next year for VictoriaCon 2...

It was great to see Garrett Woolsey again, knowing we had any security concerns covered if required Micheal Junkin once again showed his superior intelligence knowing that the question "what were the best games you've played in the last year?" was the ideal way out of an intense political conversation. It was also great to have finally met Brian Train, one of the wargaming worlds' best kept secrets in the field of game design...but I am guessing not for long, as I was saying the same thing 2 years ago about Paul Rohrbaugh.

I was so pleasantly surprised that Kerry Anderson traveled so far to be with us, adding a real sense of continuity conventionwise for myself, as he was also at Consimworld Expo and Fallcon. Kerry's contributions to wargaming made him a natural to join all the other Canadian wargaming celebritys we were so lucky to have at the event.

We also added to our circle of friends; Charles Webster, Rick Young,and Malcolm Green, all super guys and dedicated gamers. We hope that you guys are with us in the future as we'll certainly not forget to extend invitations to all get-togethers we organize large or small.

Once again, I thank everyone for making VictoriaCon a success."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebliz wrote:
I'm planning on retiring to Salt Spring Island in a few years and need to know all the gaming activities in the area.

Salt Spring! Do you already own a place there? If not, do you know how expensive real estate is on Salt Spring???!!!

There are about three small wargaming groups in Victoria. There's also a Go club, a Euro club and a small Game of Thrones club. There's a Chess club on Salt Spring - when they're not making cheese, carding wool or harvesting pot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.