Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the lookup here at BGG, I found another game player who is in the same town, about 2 miles down the road. He's the only one anywhere near me, so I was hoping to contact him. I have sent him a pm here, but he hasn't been back since he signed up, even though it wasn't long ago (around Christmas). I looked his name up in the phone book, so I have his address and phone number, and I thought about calling him. I'll probably give him a week or so and see if he shows up here. Anyway, the whole question...is it strange to call someone like this? I don't want to freak him out, I just want someone in the are to play games with! Any suggestions how to approach this is the least creepy way possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calling may be a little too forward. i would give them a little time to return to the geek. if they don't, u could maybe send a postcard with your contact info...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you really want to game with someone that didn't visit BGG very often?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanthePez wrote:
Using the lookup here at BGG, I found another game player who is in the same town, about 2 miles down the road. He's the only one anywhere near me, so I was hoping to contact him. I have sent him a pm here, but he hasn't been back since he signed up, even though it wasn't long ago (around Christmas). I looked his name up in the phone book, so I have his address and phone number, and I thought about calling him. I'll probably give him a week or so and see if he shows up here. Anyway, the whole question...is it strange to call someone like this? I don't want to freak him out, I just want someone in the are to play games with! Any suggestions how to approach this is the least creepy way possible?

I think that would be a bit disconcerting if someone called me based on some site I visited once and then promptly forgot about. I'd let it go.

EDIT:

I understand how frustrating it can be to have all these games to play with and no one to play with. Have you tried other methods yet? Post in a FLGS? See if the local university has a game group? Church?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't find the "Look up Here" feature on BGG.
Can someone help, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be better off putting up a small poster ad at your local game store (or possibly university) looking for other people to play games with.

Ringing the guy up might be a little bit creepy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm a woman so maybe a little more cautious, but frankly if someone contacted me at my home info based on my being on a website, I'd be pretty freaked out. I DO understand your frustration, and I have gamed with local people that I've met here on the 'geek, but we corresponded through the site first. I'd second the suggest to wait, and to try posters at your FLGS, etc. It's better to make YOUR information available and wait for people to contact you than to make assumptions about how someone else might feel about you contacting them when they have no idea who you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean Conrad wrote:
Can't find the "Look up Here" feature on BGG.
Can someone help, please?

Dean, From the top drop downs:
Utilities >> Users >> User Search

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean, it only works for US users. And Europe merely being a tiny offshoot of Canada doesn't count. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess I just got excited that I finally saw someone who lived near me, heh. I'll wait it out and see what happens. I've sent pms to people on the days of wonder site in the area as well, but haven't gotten any replies there yet either. I'll just keep looking and we'll see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ray.

Thanks Jon.

I live in East Yorkshire. Anyone wanna play with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo, just seen Jon's 'Beyond Monopoly' group in York. I'll check out the website.

York. That's in Saskatchewan, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean Conrad wrote:

I live in East Yorkshire. Anyone wanna play with me?

Try pasting each of these strings into Google:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "Yorkshire" -php3 -gamexml boardgamegeek.com/user

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "York" -php3 -gamexml boardgamegeek.com/user

and sift through the results. Unfortunately the second one will throw up a lot of New Yorkers unless you tweak it a bit more first!

Alternatively, you could scroll down here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/607093

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tim. Very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I see things a little differently from most of the posters here, having been on the receiving end of a call from a local gamer. Several years ago I was pruning some dead wood from my collection and placed a for sale advert in a gaming magazine. My caller saw the ad and made a polite enquiry as to whether I still played games. I was just delighted to find another gamer in the neighbourhood. 19 years later we still play games together every couple of weeks.

I think the key, should you decide to make contact, is not to be too pushy. Give the other guy easy opportunities to decline your offer or to get together on his own terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think theres a big difference, Andy.

You made your info available with the intention of people contacting you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make your information available, then perhaps you should assume that people will contact you.devil

However, I agree with darlok: BGG, e-mail, card, If they don't respond, they're not interested.yuk

We're playing 'Caylus' and 'Old Town' next Thursday in East Yorkshire. E-mail if you're interested: interested@deanconrad.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.