United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered this website and just love it. I'm suffering from a bit of analysis paralysis, I suppose you could say, from all of the cool sounding games out there and was hoping for some suggestions.

My parameters are (1) no abstract strategy games, (2) no wargames, (3) one hour playing time (although 90 minutes would be okay), (4) accessible enough to interest mostly non-gamer female friends, (5) different mechanic from the games I already have.

The games I either have or have on order are:

Ra
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Tikal
Lost Cities
For Sale
Bang!

The games I'm looking at are:

Samurai
Through the Desert
San Juan
St. Petersberg
China

What do you think about these games? Are there other games I ought to consider?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome to the addiction!

I've played four of the games, though St. Petersburg only online and I haven't played China.

Of the four I would recommend San Juan and Samurai.

Both games scale exceptionally well from 2 - 4 players.

Both games are playable in under an hour, in fact my wife and I can knock of a game of Samurai in 15 minutes or so.

Both appeal to non-gamers and gamers alike and offer different mechanisms then the games already in your collection.

That said, you might as well buy them all, as if you don't this time, you'll own them all soon enough!

Happy collecting and playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
...I suppose you could say, from all of the cool sounding games out there and was hoping for some suggestions....

...accessible enough to interest mostly non-gamer female friends,...
Bad news Ed. Board games, while loads of fun, are usually not the best way to convince non-gamer women to spend more time with you. blush

Just kidding...now on to answering your question. Of the games you are thinking of, my semi-gamer wife most enjoys San Juan. It fits all your requirements. The rest of your "thinking of", I have played some of them, but haven't played them with non-gaming women, so I can't help you so much.

Really, with your current games, I think you have a good set. TTR especially I think will be good for non-gamers, it is so light and fun. Carcassonne and Lost Cities are also well known as appealing to a lot of non-gamers. Ra is one of my favorites, and my wife likes it too, but I've heard mixed reports on people who tried it with non-gamers; some said it went over great, others said it didn't...so maybe don't try that as a first game, I dunno.

So, pretty much, don't sweat it just yet. Try the games you have/have ordered. Then after you've played them a bit, think about more. If you must get more, I would recommend San Juan, but it's really not urgent I don't think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
Of the four I would recommend San Juan and Samurai.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Alhambra as well; it has a certain appeal to non gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of your list, I would recommend Saint Petersburg the most for non-gamers.

Samurai - Fairly abstract and although short fairly mentally challenging. One of my favorites but maybe not ideal for non-gamers.
Through the Desert - Fairly abstract. Fun bits. They might like this one.
San Juan - Perhaps slightly too involved for non-gamers.
St. Petersberg - Seems most accessible to non-gamers. The theme may not interest them much, though.
China - Fairly abstract and competitive.

I too would also recommend Alhambra to you. Although some people don't like it, I guess because they feel there isn't a lot of interaction.

The games on your list are all great games. None of them are heavy games and none are terrible choices for new gamers. It depends on how interested your non-gamers are in gaming - but I guess if they were super interested they wouldn't be non-gamers, would they?

Everyone's taste's vary, of course. But I would say, if they like more challenging games like Ra and Tikal, then any of the games on your list would be good bets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd describe my daughters as non-gamers, and they both picked up on San Juan quickly and enjoyed it. I'd recommend it. BTW they also like TtR, For Sale and Razzia! (Ra-lite).

Through The Desert and China, though I like them a lot, are quite abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Carlton
United States
Webster
NY
flag msg tools
Stop Mousing over me! :P
badge
Other movies available :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket To Ride is a winner for entry BoardGame.

I've just ordered Bohnanza, San Juan, and Bang, to get a little more into entry level Cardgames.

Also you need to look at it from a mechanic perspective. TTR is a set collection game with a map/progress element. For Sale, Modern Art, are auction games.

My brothers, who are big poker players, love Modern Art, and Perudo. The mechanics of those games are more "their style".

Once you get some ideas on what mechanics work for people you'll be able to answer your question much more easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you list I'd say San Juan and Through the Desert are your best choices. San Juan is fairly easy to teach, has a decent theme that non gamers can get into (building a city) and doesn't have a lot of components so it doesn't look 'threatening' to non gamers.

Through the Desert is fairly abstract but the pieces are nice. It seems to work well with non gamers and isn't difficult to explain or play.

China is very abstract. If you're looking for a game with a nice Asian theme then this isn't it outside of a map of China. St. Petersburg I've been on the fence about for a while. It's not a bad game but it doesn't do anything for me and I don't really have much desire to ever play it. Maybe it's just me.

I'd also reiterate what another post has already mentioned. If you are mainly playing with non gamers, you have two of the best games for that group already in TtR and Carcassonne. Play the games you have and see how they go over with your group. Many nongamers tend to not like always playing something new. Just because a lot of us on this site have hundreds of games doesn't mean that's what everyone should do! Most people that have a large number of games have people they could play a large number of games with. If you're just getting together with some nongamers friends occasionally then stick with what you have for now. You don't want to overwhelm them. Start slow, get them hooked then maybe they'll buy some of the game sand save you some money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
If you're just getting together with some nongamers friends occasionally then stick with what you have for now.

Alan,

I know, I know, this would be the rational thing to do. They just all sound so GOOD, it's hard to resist getting them ALL. I'm secretly hoping either I'll convert my friends into gamers or I'll find some gaming buddies. I've gone to two game nights at two different hobby stores this week, and now I'm plotting how to get some of my co-workers to come over to my place to play. I don't think I've ever gotten so excited about something. Scary.

Ed

P.S. By the way, the game night I went to tonight completely ruined my system for picking games. I decided I was only going to consider games rated 7 or higher. I played Fresh Fish tonight, a game I never heard of, and I loved it. First thing I do when I get home is look it up on BGG and it's only rated 6.84! How does that figure into my system! Aack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McKeever
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your requirements are basically my own.

Of the games you've ordered/whatever, I'm familiar with ticket, lost, and carcassonne. I like both ticket and lost, but carcosonnes a "am I having fun yet?" type game. It's neither exciting, funny, or particularly involved.

Some other games I've found that work really well for me are:
Cranium Hoopla:
It's a noncompetitive charades variant, usually pretty funny if you try to act as much as you can (if that's your style). Really any charades variant should work. I'm just familiar with this one, and it comes with a timer you compete against.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen:
This game is awesome. It's noncompetitive, but is usually a lot of fun. It's a great "Oh crap, I ran out of things to talk about" type game, because you don't need anything to play it and can do it while driving/whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
ed95005 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered this website and just love it. I'm suffering from a bit of analysis paralysis, I suppose you could say, from all of the cool sounding games out there and was hoping for some suggestions.

My parameters are (1) no abstract strategy games, (2) no wargames, (3) one hour playing time (although 90 minutes would be okay), (4) accessible enough to interest mostly non-gamer female friends, (5) different mechanic from the games I already have.

The games I either have or have on order are:

Ra
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Tikal
Lost Cities
For Sale
Bang!

The games I'm looking at are:

Samurai
Through the Desert
San Juan
St. Petersberg
China

What do you think about these games? Are there other games I ought to consider?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

I'm a little different from the crowd in that I think RA might go over a little better than either CARCASSONE or SAMURAI; though it's both close and argueable, I think RA is the most accessible of the 3 to non-gamers because I think it's mechanics and scoring are the most approachable. I would also classify SAMURAI as fairly abstract strategy, but I'd say the same for LOST CITIES.

I think you should consider adding CITADELS to your list. Low price point, 5 players or less should easily fall into your time zone, totally unique in mechanics compared to your other games, and I think botht the identity-changing aspect and the counterguessing aspect (i.e. figuring out what characters other players will take and working that into your choice) is an interesting and subtle kind of brainwork I could see women finding interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.