Conquest of the Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1 action = several battles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Again somehting is unclear to me. If you move, you activate one province and you can move your troops from there to several provinces (= 1 action).

How about combat, can i inflame a battle on several provinces with 1 action (landbattle that is)? Reading the rulebook, i would say "yes", it is possible, but it seems odd to me.

Since the rulebook also implies, that you could buy unguarded influence tokens even from you ally, which is -officially- not possible, it could also be a flaw in the rulebook regarding battles....

Thanx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's one battle per action. ("At least, that is my interpretation of the English rules," ha ha.)

Chiuso wrote:
Since the rulebook also implies, that you could buy unguarded influence tokens even from you ally, which is -officially- not possible

Where do you see that? (I don't think the rulebook implies that, and the FAQ doesn't say it's not allowed...)

edit: strike goofed up part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
kuhrusty wrote:
No, it's one battle per action. ("At least, that is my interpretation of the English rules," ha ha.)

Chiuso wrote:
Since the rulebook also implies, that you could buy unguarded influence tokens even from you ally, which is -officially- not possible

Where do you see that? (I don't think the rulebook implies that, and the FAQ doesn't say it's not allowed...)

" The active player may buy influence in any province where an Influence token is unprotected.... ".

You could read this quote the way, that it is allowed to buy Influence Tokens from an ally, as long as they are unprotected. But somewhere in the Eaglegames.com Forum this was officially clarified (not in the FAQ), and so it is not possible (http://eaglegames.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=6103).

" The active player may choose to attack only enemy (non-allied) units that share the same province with his own units. HE declares the battle location, and which player units he is attacking "

Here someone could read, that you can undergo battles in different provinces with the same action. Since the rules for movement say explicit that you must select one single province and an similiar quote is missing for the rules about battles i think my possibly faulty interpretation is also an option by the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiuso wrote:
But somewhere in the Eaglegames.com Forum this was officially clarified (not in the FAQ), and so it is not possible (http://eaglegames.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=6103).

That's bogus! (Ted's answer, not the link--thank you for that.)

Ted, what were you thinking!? What in the rules would lead a person to that interpretation? (I don't see anything under "Buy Influence," and your answer contradicts the rules there.) My claim is that the only people who will play it that way are the ones who happen to have read that forum post, and that's not good for the game.

If that change is really correct/official/etc., then at least it should be in the FAQ. (And as others have mentioned, FAQ answers which change the rules should be published as errata.)

Chiuso wrote:
Since the rules for movement say explicit that you must select one single province and an similiar quote is missing for the rules about battles i think my possibly faulty interpretation is also an option by the rules as written.

Well, I think "he declares the battle location" instead of "he declares the battle locations" implies that only one is allowed, but I agree that it could/should have been written more clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kuhn

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I didn't follow the train of thought in this discussion.

But if the question is whether a player may purchase the influence token of an ally, the answer is "No."
This isn't an errata or an addendum, because it is stated (p. 7) in the rules manual:

"A player may purchase and replace another (non-allied)
player’s Influence Token in a province where
the purchasing player has a General or a Caesar
and the player whose Influence Token is being
purchased has no Military Units present."

If I misunderstood the discussion, my apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedFK wrote:
This isn't an errata or an addendum, because it is stated (p. 7) in the rules manual:

Sigh. You're right. (And, uhh, I apologize for implying that you were some kind of brain-damaged, game-destroying freak.)

That should have been repeated in the section about buying influence, though! "Glenn Drover and Theodore Kuhn, what were you thinking!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TedFK wrote:
"A player may purchase and replace another (non-allied)
player’s Influence Token in a province where
the purchasing player has a General or a Caesar
and the player whose Influence Token is being
purchased has no Military Units present.

I had gone over that little rule too! I guess we play pretty aggresively here so as to stop carefully reading the rules!

nelciara wrote:
Quote:
How about combat, can i inflame a battle on several provinces with 1 action (landbattle that is)? Reading the rulebook, i would say "yes", it is possible, but it seems odd to me.

Well is it possible or not?

Is it one action one battle?

Johan

Yes, please,somebody answer that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what in the rules made you guys think it might have been more than one battle per action? I agree that the rules could be more explicit here, but "He declares the battle location, and which player's units he is attacking" does sound like only one battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.