Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Fun Stuff > Other Stuff > Game Glossary is a cool list of gaming terms and definations.

It would be nice to have that list updated with some geeky chat terms. Terms like "5 and 10 List (or 5 and dime)", "FLGS", "P500", etc.

Took me forever to figure out what FLGS was and I kinda know what 5 and 10 means and right now I've no clue what P500 means.

Is there a way to keep this list updated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
right now I've no clue what P500 means.

P500 (or Project 500) is a preordering system for wargame companies to guage the demand for their games they plan on printing. It was pioneered by GMT games around 1998 and many wargame companies use the system though they might call preordering, pledging, request, etc.

Essentially it works like this:
- The Company announces new game and provides demos at conventions, artwork & rules online, etc.
- Their customers if they order willl get a discount usually 30% off the final list price. They do have have credit cards on file, but they will not be charged until the game goes into production.
- When the game gets 500 orders the game is put in final development.
- The preorders ensure there is enough money for the initial print run of the game.

For the companies, it works pretty well. Most wargame companies are on the edge of profitability or even survival, one or two bombs can literally sink any of these companies. A few years after P500 was started, GMT launched a non-collectible CCG called Flagship without going through the P500 process (it was an attempt to expand their core market) and it nearly sunk the company.

For customers it can be a mixed bag. For some customers (especially those who like games that are sequels or in a series of games), the games they want reach the threshhold quite quickly. For games that are unusual (sometimes innovative) or games that simply don't match the style of the games the company produces, it sometimes takes longer and sometimes a game gets pulled from the P500 list. The key is that any game that gets charged will be produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
You raise a good point. I will discuss with Aldie later today...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!

Richard - thanks for the P500 info too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.