Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't work out why the player winds are the way they are. If East sits to the left and West totheright, North and South seem the wrong way round. South will be top and North at the bottom. Whether it's done by compass points or what, I can't tell, but it doesn't make sense to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an explanation for you:

http://www.mahjongg.com/invcomp.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Read
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it's to do with compass directions in heaven, which are apparently the opposite to the ones here on Earth. I haven't been there so I'm not too sure about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I was wondering why my Mah Jongg mat (pictured here) had E and W reversed.
That's the East character in the foreground, and the North is somewhat visible on the left.

My Chinese wife, and her brother who is an experienced Mah Jongg player, didn't know either. We just assumed the mat-maker goofed up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monkian wrote:
I think it's to do with compass directions in heaven, which are apparently the opposite to the ones here on Earth. I haven't been there so I'm not too sure about that.

Yes, it's the heavens. If you lay face-up on the ground with your head to the north, then east is to your left and west to the right. Astrological influences probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

When I explain it to my friends, I'll come across as knowledgable and wise.
Hopefully....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.