♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
OK, so I have a copy of Gateway in hand, and the first thing I see at the top of the book cover is "Book One of The Heechee Saga." I don't mind reading series TOO too badly, but let's face it -- I have a huge list of books to read, and I have a hard enough time adding one new book, much less five.

Already, I've committed myself to the remainder of the Foundation series, and if a series is good enough, I don't mind catching up in that manner. Will I need to commit myself to the entire Heechee Saga, as well, or is this really a stand-alone book that became a series?

For that matter, what's up with science fiction books always being in a series? Don't these writers know how to write a NOVEL, instead of a saga?

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Whaley
United States
California
flag msg tools
Gateway stands on its own as a great book, but does leave many things unresolved, which is fine if you don't need all mysteries spelled out for you. I read the whole series a long time ago, and I recall they got a bit stale/repetitive by the end.

I'd perhaps recommend going for variety rather than finishing the Heechee Ssga. Have you read any of the Berserker books by Saberhagen? I'm amazed I had managed to live so long without ever reading any of them, they're great. I recommend the ones that are collections of shorts rather than single-story novels. The one that is a collection of Berserker stories by other authors is actually a really great one, it has some of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with science fiction, part of the experience is emersing yourself in the vision of the environment. Sci-Fi is part story and part setting. It's the setting that always sets it up for more in the series. Especially if it's a really good setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
MWChapel wrote:
I think with science fiction, part of the experience is emersing yourself in the vision of the environment. Sci-Fi is part story and part setting. It's the setting that always sets it up for more in the series. Especially if it's a really good setting.

I'll buy that. A lot of fantasy is written in a series, as well, and fantasy is part story and part setting, too.

Y'know, I read Sherri Tepper's The True Game series several years back after hearing a number of fans raving over it, and it fell flat with me. I couldn't get into it, and neither could I find anything compelling to keep me reading. The only reason I kept reading it is because I figured it had to get better. I wonder if I'm averse to reading stories with a prominent setting ... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked Gateway, and I think it holds up very well by itself. I think I read the next in the series and stopped there. To be honest, I don't remember a damn thing about the second book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others. Book one stands alone, but the whole series is a good read. If I recall, it's only three books, isn't it? Maybe four? I read them about 12 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Verkisto wrote:
OK, so I have a copy of Gateway in hand, and the first thing I see at the top of the book cover is "Book One of The Heechee Saga." I don't mind reading series TOO too badly, but let's face it -- I have a huge list of books to read, and I have a hard enough time adding one new book, much less five.

Already, I've committed myself to the remainder of the Foundation series, and if a series is good enough, I don't mind catching up in that manner. Will I need to commit myself to the entire Heechee Saga, as well, or is this really a stand-alone book that became a series?

For that matter, what's up with science fiction books always being in a series? Don't these writers know how to write a NOVEL, instead of a saga?

shake

GATEWAY stood alone for a very long time before being joined by several sequels I (and most fans) find pretty throwaway and not really up to the original. I thought the 2nd was decent enough, but the rest just plunge on answering questions that didn't really need answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
yossarians wrote:
I really liked Gateway, and I think it holds up very well by itself. I think I read the next in the series and stopped there. To be honest, I don't remember a damn thing about the second book.

I do, because it mentions a French kissing technique that's actually a pretty good move, probably a first for SF and nerdtertainment in general...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are actually 5 books in the series. In 2004 THE BOY WHO WOULD LIVE FOREVER was published, which is my third favorite in the series.

Gateway does stand on its own and can be read without the others, and is my personal favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.