Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received Mü about a week ago as a Christmas present. On Tuesday night 1/10 my wife Sarah and I got together with our friends Lane ("dowobeha") and Mark who was in town for business. We were all familiar with the game 500, so I thought it would be a good group to introduce Mü to.

After wrapping our heads around the rules (you bid cards face-up?! 2 trump suits?! numbers can be trump?!) we started in, with a modest goal of 100 points instead of the recommended 200. Mark broke 100 after the second hand, so we decided to play two more hands, giving everyone a chance to deal once.

I fear, however, that I may have gained a reputation as a "Chief-Killer"...

1ST HAND

The bidding proceeds hesitantly, as none of us has ever done this before. I wind up the Vice, and pick Black as trump. Mark goes 5 Zeroes and picks Lane to be his partner.

Sarah and I make a good showing of setting them. Unfortunately, my high Black trumps (face-up) get sucked up by Lane and Mark's Zeroes (also all face-up) in the last 3 hands.

Mark and Lane needed to take 38 points, but they only count 37. But only 59 points are accounted for, and after everyone recounts, it turns out that Mark and Lane reached exactly 38, making their bid for a bonus of 70.

1ST HAND SCORE:
Chris: 12 | Lane: 92 | Mark: 86 | Sarah: 10

2ND HAND

Bidding moves more quickly as people get a grasp of what's going on. Lane winds up Chief, but everyone else, trying to curry favor with Lane, winds up tied for second place, so no Vice is chosen. Lane bids 5 Blue and picks me as his partner.

It was close, but Lane and I fall 1 point short of the 38 required. At least I don't lose any points!

2ND HAND SCORE:
Chris: 31 | Lane: 90 | Mark: 107 | Sarah: 32

3RD HAND

The bidding goes crazy. I drop out at 4, and Mark and Sarah slug it out. Mark ends up the Vice with 6 and chooses Blue as trump. Sarah bids 7 Green and takes me as her partner.

Things start badly. Mark and Lane take the first 4 tricks, and only need 7 more points to set us. But Sarah goes on a rampage and my hand complements hers perfectly: we grab the next 9 tricks. But Lane saves the right color 9 for the end and steals the last 2 tricks away from us. Sarah and I make 40 out of the 42 we need. I don't lose any points again, and Sarah, despite being set, still nets 14.

3RD HAND SCORE:
Chris: 37 | Lane: 110 | Mark: 127 | Sarah: 46

4TH HAND

This is to be our last hand. I show a lot of Black during the bid, and Mark lays down 5 different-colored Ones. Mark winds up Chief with no Vice, and surprises everyone by choosing Yellow as trump. Unfortunately, he also picks me as his partner, based on the presumed strength of my Black hand. Unfortunate, because that strength proves to be grossly exaggerated, as not only does Lane hold the 8 and 9, but Sarah is short-suited in Black. To make matters worse, I'm naturally short-suited in the trump suit, Yellow.

It's a blowout: we need 38 points; our opponents pick up 37. But again, I avoid a loss by being the partner. But my reputation as a "Chief-Killer" is secured.

4TH HAND SCORE:
Chris: 43 | Lane: 174 | Mark: 64 | Sarah: 99

- - - - -

After only 4 hands, I have to say I love this game, and I think everyone else really enjoyed it, too. The incredible variety available via the bidding process and the trump selection seem to ensure that every hand will be completely different. I also enjoy the fact that only 1 player at most will ever lose points each hand, so scores are always moving up, unlike other games where it's not uncommon for each player/team to have a negative score.

After only this one play, I'm going to have to rate Mü at least a 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that you had two ties for Vice in 4 hands, I have to ask if you were only counting the size of the bid, or were you also counting the values on the cards as a tie-breaker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games out of 4 with no vice? Are you sure you got the rules right? If several players tie for vice (regarding the number of cards), their highest single card breaks the tie, then their next card etc.

If you played it correct, try to avoid this case in the future. Having no vice greatly helps the chief, and reduces the chances of the opponents, so it was bad for 2 out of 3 people to allow the tie.

Well, it might happen that the tie is voluntary constructed by the player who is sure that he gets picked as partner. But this is a rare event in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, we missed the part about high card breaking the tie. (Or rather, I missed it, as I was the one responsible for teaching the game.)

Thanks for the correction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Well, it might happen that the tie is voluntary constructed by the player who is sure that he gets picked as partner. But this is a rare event in my experience.

In our group, playing matching cards to eliminate the vice was not all that uncommon. The unwritten rule was that the chief would pick as partner the player that cancelled out the vice. Obviously, if the chief failed to pick that person as partner, no one would ever be so kind as to eliminate vice for that chief in the future.

As a side note, having no vice is not always a good thing for the chief. It reduces the number of trumps which means the chief better have a good supporting set of cards in the non-trump suits.

Sometimes I might bid higher than normal for chief if it appears the most-likely vice player will name a color as vice trump that I have lots of little cards in. And often I will get burned when the vice-trump is named as something else or even if the vice is cancelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm guessing that having a Vice-trump would have gone a long way toward helping my partner and I get those last 1-2 points in rounds 2 and 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Easton
United States
Casey
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering getting this game, now, with your report, you've finally swayed me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.