Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally caved and went to spend a bunch of money at Toys R Us getting into the Heroscape obsession. I only intended to buy the master set, but then I was taken by a couple of the other figures... and then the trees looked like they'd be nice to have... and then I was enchanted by the lava tiles... and then I figured I'd already spent more than I intended, so why not a little more... and so on.

Anwyay, I came away with the master set + the bridge and heroes packs (Orm's return, I think?) + the lava guys + the four blister packs from Utgar's Rage (I think?). I haven't had a chance to read the rules yet, and I doubt I'll be able to even crack the box until late this weekend, but I'm curious if it was a good idea to buy one of each--or if people tend to buy multiples of certain packs to build cohesive armies.

I'm not really sure what the conventional wisdom is on this, so I thought I'd ask here. Do I need more stuff? Or, will I have enough to get a really solid game going? No one else I know has the game, so it'll just be my components we're using. Do people usually find others with their own sets to play with, or is one person's game enough to satisfy a group of people?

I was considering going back and picking up a couple more of the bridge packs and lava packs--since it seems like I don't have very much terrain--but then some of the online vendors have the previous sets of blisters that I could pick up instead. Where to go from here? (Other than just playing the dang game, obviously!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridge packs are a must (can't have too many trees)

Be careful opening the blister packs. It can be a pain in the butt to open those and get the cards out in one piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe! Welcome!

I played last week with a friend and we used just one master set and tiles and characters with that master set (plus my EOV units too). It worked out great with 3 people. Of course more units = more choices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all the products are still in their original wrap, return for immediate refund!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people buy 3 or 4 packs of the common units, but you can build good armies with only one squad of several commons or with several squads of the same armies. It is really just however you wan to play. I usually just buy extra sets of the commons that I enjoy playing with, or if they are on sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely recommend you hold off on buying more stuff. Get a feel for the game, find out if you're even going to find people to play it with you. Note also that TrU has a 2-for-1 sale twice a year, usually March and November.

You could merge multiple sets, but that would be problematic. You couldn't build the terrain until everyone was there, and you'd have to break it down when they left, and then figure out whose stuff is whose.

That said, I have four master sets, which does allow you to make some nice maps. I also have 8 & 9 year old sons, so I've got a very interested audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually buy a couple of the common sets but only one of the heroes set for each expansion. Even though I have multiple opponents and we frequently use my stuff, I don't think it's worth my money to have two of each hero because its pretty rare that someone will draft him.
The bonus is that it has encouraged a few of my friends to drop a buck or two as well since they have to have their own Krug to be sure of getting to play him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found just playing with the basic game is fun.

As for me. I have one of each expansion, except the tree and bridge, which I have 2 of. I think the more different type of units the better.

It gives each individual differnt types of units to fill their particular strategy. Some like brute force (DW9000 and the like). Some like ranged units (airborne, snipers, savarys) and some like special units (Grmnak, Mirmring and the like).

I always go for a balance army. Some ranged units, with a multiplier type (attack or defend) and some cannon fodder for glyph taking!

Most boys/men love this game/toy. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
I'd definitely recommend you hold off on buying more stuff. Get a feel for the game, find out if you're even going to find people to play it with you. Note also that TrU has a 2-for-1 sale twice a year, usually March and November.

You could merge multiple sets, but that would be problematic. You couldn't build the terrain until everyone was there, and you'd have to break it down when they left, and then figure out whose stuff is whose.

That said, I have four master sets, which does allow you to make some nice maps. I also have 8 & 9 year old sons, so I've got a very interested audience.

I like combining sets with my friends and family. We just write our initials on the bottoms of our things so they are easy to sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm curious about one other thing, though. I couldn't resist and went ahead and cracked open the box tonight--even though I know I'll have to wait a long time before ever playing it--and I noticed the water tiles in my box are shimmery/sparkly.

I've read a bit about the game on here, and this leads me to believe that this is a 1st edition of the game. What are the other differences between this edition and the 2nd? Am I missing out on anything, or am I just lucky to have shiny water?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
I like combining sets with my friends and family. We just write our initials on the bottoms of our things so they are easy to sort.

I could see that working for the figures, but doing it with the terrain pieces seems like it'd be a hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:

I could see that working for the figures, but doing it with the terrain pieces seems like it'd be a hassle.

Well as long as you leave with the same number and types of pieces is really doesn't make a difference, but marks of some kind would allow you to sort out your set with out having to count or even remember how many of each type you have.

I used 1/8 in colored sticky dots. I put them on the bottoms of the terrain pieces but on the tops of the bases of the figures as I could then use a differnt color for each copy of a common squad so that different players could draft and tell apart the same squads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm curious about one other thing, though. I couldn't resist and went ahead and cracked open the box tonight--even though I know I'll have to wait a long time before ever playing it--and I noticed the water tiles in my box are shimmery/sparkly.

I've read a bit about the game on here, and this leads me to believe that this is a 1st edition of the game. What are the other differences between this edition and the 2nd? Am I missing out on anything, or am I just lucky to have shiny water?

Thanks!

If you don't have a second edition Walmart set with the Elite Onyx Vipers, I'd say you did well to get the sparkly water tiles. Hasbro should go back this sort. The flat, opaque ones just aren't as nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
DavidT wrote:

Thanks!

The second edition has a single set of white dice instead of a set of blue and a set of red. The walmart copy of the second edition apparently has a new unique squad.

In terms of what you need... The master set alone is a lot of fun, and we usually reduce down to just that to teach people the game. I have one of everything. Some of the common squads and heroes really seem to rely on you having multiples, for which I simply substitute extra figures from other squads. With the number you get by getting one of everything you won't run out quickly. I happen to like the single master set maps more because it makes for a faster game in which you get engaged with the enemy quickly. Some people like having tons of master sets to build really tall, and large maps.

I would strongly recommend you try what you have for a while before investing in duplicates of anything. You already have a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.