If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
When?! Where?! The masses demand it! We must have more BGG.CON! No resting on your laurels, you two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
We're working on getting the dates set and negotiating with the hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Blessed Aldie! Thank you! I'll be there! I've learned the error of my ways, by not being there in '05.

BGG.CON '06!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG.con '05 was awesome. I will certainly plan to attend again in '06. If possible I'd like to help organize a game design aspect to the con - be that just a corner in a room for playing prototypes, or something more organized.

In any case, I suspect if BGG.con '06 happens again (which is pretty likely) it'll be in early November again - for the same reasons as last year.

Thanks Aldie (and I guess you too Derk) for your dedicated work on the site, the con, and the boardgame hobby in general.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
When?! Where?! The masses demand it! We must have more BGG.CON! No resting on your laurels, you two!

I would think that they wouldn't rest on their laurels, since they are both hardy men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
If possible I'd like to help organize a game design aspect to the con - be that just a corner in a room for playing prototypes, or something more organized.

I'd be up for that. I've got a couple of games, that I've designed, that are currently pocket games-ish, that could be scaled to full-sized board games. I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to go to BGG.CON this year just so I can meet Aldie and say the following:

"Aldie! I don't like that shirt. I like the old one. That shirt has too much going on, and isn't friendly to people meeting you for the first time. You should have carried a life-size cardboard stand-up of you with that shirt on first, so we could get used to it. You've really lost me with that shirt, man. I just don't know."

Then, on the last day of the con, I'll shake his hand and say:

"You know, at first I didn't like your shirt. But now I can't even remember the old one. I think I'd still like the option of you putting that shirt back on, if I wanted you to. But I'm okay with the new one, I guess. It could still be friendier for new people though."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Zing! Nice one, Agnes. Double zing, even.

nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you could do is set aside a group of 2 or 3 tables in the corner "for reserve". That way sedjtroll could reserve the tables at certain times for prototype testing. I could reserve the tables for a T&E Tournament (shameless plug: I also run them on BGG). Everyone would know where to go for a scheduled event.

I know you guys want to have an open convention and that's as it should be. But if you set aside a couple of tables then others can take responsibility for organizing events (tournaments, testing, what have you). You are simply providing a location and are not in anyway sponsoring a tournament (I suppose you would have to go to the work of tracking the signups for reserving the tables).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I know you guys want to have an open convention and that's as it should be. But if you set aside a couple of tables then others can take responsibility for organizing events (tournaments, testing, what have you). You are simply providing a location and are not in anyway sponsoring a tournament (I suppose you would have to go to the work of tracking the signups for reserving the tables).

And once you do that, if someone squats on the "reserved" tables (shiver--reserved tables at an open gaming con), will the person go to Scott or Derk to have them evict the squatter? It just goes downhill as soon as you start something like a reservation process.

If you give a mouse a cookie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

I say go head to head with WBC. The old horse vs. the upstart. A con that's perceived to be wargaming vs. one that's thought to be all-Euro. I'd pick BGG over WBC and I wonder if you'd really lose any attendance at all.

Only downside is that it's too late in the summer. To accommodate more people, I think you'd need to have it in June or July, when school is out. Not because you want school kids attending, but because teachers can't get away and for gamers with kids, it's easier to ship the kids off to the grandparents in the summer than it is to have the grandparents come into town to watch the kids AND get them to school and do their homework and...

But I doubt you're looking to move into prime convention season (summer) just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
mdp4828 wrote:
One thing you could do is set aside a group of 2 or 3 tables in the corner "for reserve". That way sedjtroll could reserve the tables at certain times for prototype testing. I could reserve the tables for a T&E Tournament (shameless plug: I also run them on BGG). Everyone would know where to go for a scheduled event.

This is actually something that Derk, Vickie, and I brainstormed on after BGG.CON '05.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy,

If I recall the November timing was selected so that all of the new Essen games would be available to play.

Besides, the summer has enough other cons. Not to mention the heat in Dallas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

And once you do that, if someone squats on the "reserved" tables (shiver--reserved tables at an open gaming con), will the person go to Scott or Derk to have them evict the squatter? It just goes downhill as soon as you start something like a reservation process.

If you give a mouse a cookie...

After going to BGG.con_1 I can't imagine that behavior. If it accidentally happened then I think politely pointing it out would be enough. I've seen some feathers ruffled at WBC over table space but that's a whole other order of magnitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with Nov is that it puts it only weeks away from the new Dallas gaming convention Cagecon, which is backed by the people who run A-Kon. There is also Animefest in Sept.

August would be great, as there is no competition with any other DFW convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By all reports Cagecon was less than a success. It really,
really isn't in the same league as BGG Con.
It would have been nice to have another good gaming convention
in the area, and Madness Comics does a lot to support gamers, but
the reports I heard placed CageCon pretty low on the gaming scale.

I know that the people of Madness Comics tried to put
on a good game session, but the A-Kon people gave
less than little support to the gamers.

Besides, I've been to Cons put on by the A-Kon people before.
It won't happen again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
One thing you could do is set aside a group of 2 or 3 tables in the corner "for reserve"...

This is actually something that Derk, Vickie, and I brainstormed on after BGG.CON '05.
Oh? what was the result of that? General positive or negative response?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so itiching to sign up for this year. The sight and sound of Derek bellowing around the convention hall alone is worth the price of admissionshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Honestly, that's just kinda how I am. Perhaps a bit magnified due to lack of sleep and nervousness that our first con would be a successful con, but the one thing I am is loud...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I go to get information about being a vendor at this convention?

Heather

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.