Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been watching the series Freaks and Geeks on DVD (courtesy of Netflix), and I just finished the last episode. Is anyone else familiar with this short lived series from 1999-2000? It's a drama/comedy depicting life in high school in the early 1980s. It's probably the most accurate depiction of how high school cliques work I've ever seen on screen, and I do believe I saw myself a few times as I watched. It's extremely funny, but almost painful as it hit pretty close to home, capturing most of the major crises and issues involved in being a geek, or a freak for that matter.

I liked the way the writers, sensing cancellation, were able to wrap up the show in the last couple of episodes, resolving all or most of the major plot lines. I also liked how there weren't any "bad guys". Even Allen the school bully comes out as a sympathetic character in the end. On the other hand, I'm not sure I cared for the final scene about Lindsay going off to be a deadhead and her completed transition to being a freak. I guess the deception of her family was what mainly rubbed me the wrong way. Still, it's an excellent series.

You know, I can't believe series like this and Firefly get cancelled, and yet so much crap stays on the air that nowadays I only watch DVDs, Seinfeld re-runs and the occasional program from the history channel. Sorry, small rant there.

Anyway, I highly recommend this show if you haven't already checked it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a travesty that this show got cancelled after the first season! If you grew up hanging with the geek crowd, or the stoner crowd, or the headbangers, or the outcasts, or the gamers, or anything similar to any of those, this show is for you.

http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/home.shtm

I'm still waiting to see Firefly. If it's half as good as Serenity was, it will be a great series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely loved this series. It is amazing how accurately it captures the feel of my high school life where I was able to walk the line between geek and freak. Highly recommended to anyone who grew up in the late 70s and 80s. If you enjoy the freak side of this series, be sure to check out the film Dazed and Confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
shotokanguy wrote:
So I've been watching the series Freaks and Geeks on DVD (courtesy of Netflix), and I just finished the last episode. Is anyone else familiar with this short lived series from 1999-2000? It's a drama/comedy depicting life in high school in the early 1980s. It's probably the most accurate depiction of how high school cliques work I've ever seen on screen, and I do believe I saw myself a few times as I watched. It's extremely funny, but almost painful as it hit pretty close to home, capturing most of the major crises and issues involved in being a geek, or a freak for that matter.

I liked the way the writers, sensing cancellation, were able to wrap up the show in the last couple of episodes, resolving all or most of the major plot lines. I also liked how there weren't any "bad guys". Even Allen the school bully comes out as a sympathetic character in the end. On the other hand, I'm not sure I cared for the final scene about Lindsay going off to be a deadhead and her completed transition to being a freak. I guess the deception of her family was what mainly rubbed me the wrong way. Still, it's an excellent series.

You know, I can't believe series like this and Firefly get cancelled, and yet so much crap stays on the air that nowadays I only watch DVDs, Seinfeld re-runs and the occasional program from the history channel. Sorry, small rant there.

Never missed an episode. One of many, many top shows that didn't get their due. Other "lost classic" shows receNtly/soon to DVD would include:

PROFITT
NOWHERE MAN
JOAN OF ARCADIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my all time favorite shows. My mother in law got me the DVD's for Christmas this year. So far, I have watched the first of six (I plan on watching one disc in a sitting, in order). I had seen pretty much all of em when it was on TV.

Set in 1980, I really could relate to the geeks in it, as I was a freshman in 1980, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched it every week as well although I was definitely a geek and not a freak when I was younger. The "Come Sail Away" scene in the first episode was priceless because that's totally how school dances were. Coming in a close second is the D & D scene.

I also was simply stunned by it's cancellation. The stories were realistic and they were all very good actors (how can you not love Joe Flaherty's dad character) most of whom went on to other shows & movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Paprocki
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great show. Caught it in reruns on some cable channel a few years back and instantly loved it. I picked up the Undeclared DVD set recently only because it is from the same creator/writer. Undeclared is the college freshman experience and the format is half-hour sit-com. I'll qualify the following mini-review by disclosing that I've only watched the first couple of episodes so far. The characters don't seem to hit as close to home and the comedy is not as subtle as in Freaks and Geeks, so the writing doesn't seem as inspired. However, it is still pretty damn funny and entertaining and worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
shotokanguy wrote:

Hell yeah! Only the best showe evar on television!

The way I feel about short-lived TV shows that rocked (I include Futurama in there too, btw), is this: At least they never sucked. Seriously, most TV shows, no matter how good, end up sucking. Look at the Simpsons. Eventually, the writers change, or the show gets too full of itself, or they just run out of material. Whatever. So, Freaks and Geeks got cancelled. It will always remain perfect and non-sucky. Every cloud has a silver lining, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
shotokanguy wrote:
Even Allen the school bully comes out as a sympathetic character in the end. On the other hand, I'm not sure I cared for the final scene about Lindsay going off to be a deadhead and her completed transition to being a freak.

Oh yeah, I just wanted to say that I felt the exact same way. I *love* that ep with Allen, where he just can't bring himself to let his defenses down, no matter how much he wants to. You actually feel sorry for this guy you HATED half an hour before! And I also hate the deadhead thing with Lindsay. It seemed totally tacked-on to me.

My other favorite scene is the D&D game. God, I laughed so hard at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.