Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico
My Heart's Devotion
Let it sink back
In the ocean...

No, not really. I enjoyed the game. After being part of the Fort Worth Gamers for 1.3 years, I finally got to play PR! My excitement was only bound by the sounds of 20th century music excerpts, blasting through the ceiling speakers at higher than usual volume levels.

So I finally got my chance to learn and play Puerto Rico. I have played San Juan several times before, so I had somewhat of an idea of what it was all about.
This was the second time I had the privilege of Michael K. explaining a game to me. He did an excellent and thorough job, and we were able to get started in about 20 minutes. Which is not much more than it takes to set up the game anyway.

I wound up with corn being my first crop. I decided to concentrate on it and tobacco as my main sources of income and victory points. I was able to generate some cash and a fair amount of victory points during the first half of the game. Then, however, I felt the pinch of not having any quarries, thus having to skip several chances to build. I was not able to build (my only) production building until about half way through the game. As in San Juan, it takes a few plays to understand the value of the different purple buildings. I was able to put the large warehouse to good use, but only got a single chance to make the Wharf work for me.

Steven was the producer king and filled up his tablet with crops and quarries. Mike ended the game by filling up his tablet with buildings. I came in short in both categories.

In the end Mike won with 51 points, Steven had 44, and I 43.

I certainly enjoyed the game and look forward to playing it again. Thanks to Michael K. and Steven for playing.

Christoph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.