Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
Laissez les bons temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
With Willerd Fann in town, I dug out the Franco-Prussian war, on of my favorite S&T magazine games. Willerd is Napoleon III and I am Motke as we face off for the Battles of the Frontiers in August 1870.

The first 2 turns the Prussian 1st army makes good progress and begins to mask Metz. The 2nd and 3rd armies are held up by Bazaine at St Avold and MacMahon at Worth. The vaunted Prussian rail system fails to move needed reinforcements from Germany, I wonder if the Austrians are rattling their sabers.

On the 3 turn Marshal Bazaine is trapped near St Avold and 2 French corps are forced to surrender. However their sacrifice is not in vain. Napoleon III arrives at Metz and not only prevents the 1st army from capturing the city, but the French Elan carries the day winning a smashing victory over the 1st army causing 50% casualties. The remnants of the 1st army rapidly retreat towards Trier. With the victorious Prussian 2nd army on the flank Napoleon III cannot pursue. Marshal McMahon leaves a corps behind in Strasbourg to slow the Germans down and redeploys to support Napoleon III in Metz.

It takes 3 turns for the Prussians to reduce Strasbourg - permitting the corps there to leave under Honors of war. During that time there is a stalemate at Metz with the Prussians without the strength to storm the fortress or enough troops and supplies to bypass the city. The French are pinned as well since they do not have enough troops to campaign outside of Metz.

With the released troops from Strasbourg and secured communication lines, the Prussians begin to break into the interior of France at the end of September. The French do not have an army free to block these forces.

With the French out of troops and the Prussians out of time, Napoleon III and Bismarck agree to an armistice. There will be no 3rd Republic and the German Empire is not declared. Alsace- Lorraine remain French. Without a French desire for revenge, the impact on the world in 1914 is immense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.