Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
> OK, break time! Pull up a chair. We are going to tell a story.

> I will start, then you add on. If you are stuck for ideas, think of a story telling game like Tales of the Arabian Nights, or pick a smilie and work it into the story. Just pick up where the last person left off. Each person should add at minimum 5 sentences, and at a maximum several paragraphs.

> If you make commentary outside the story, please insert a > at the start of the line. Please try to use your imagination to expand the story. Try to use plot elements from previous posts (i.e. bring Desri back later). Also, please try to leave little items that can be brought back into the story (Desri, the lamp, the horse, the relationship between the kingdoms, perhaps a lady, a witch, or a mermaid.) Also, please keep this readable at work (i.e. leave anything racy up to the readers imagination.)

> OK, ready? Let's have some fun!

> P.S. I reserve the right to edit/delete posts in this article if it does not contribute to the story at hand. No censorship is intended, but rather the good of the whole of this particular story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once upon a time there was a prince of an ancient middle eastern kingdom. He was young and inexperienced in worldly affairs, having been shut up in the palace all his life. Oh, he had been schooled to be knowledgeable and trained in hunting and fighting, but of the world outside, he was quite unaware. He had lived his life on the palace grounds horse riding, and hunting.

On his 18th birthday the King ordered Prince Jinn to go on a quest, in part to see the country, but also to deliver a message to the neighboring kingdom of Basginhi, a kingdom currently friendly to the King's Kingom of Aradon. Price Jinn departed on his journey early one morning on his trusty steed.

By late afternoon, Prince Jinn encountered an old man on the road, who appeared to be almost a beggar. He was selling battered trinkets and begged the Prince (who was dressed as a ordinary merchant) but to purchase something so that he could eat tonight. Taking pity on the man, Prince Jinn offered him a coin, but the man said, "I am not a beggar, sir! I may not have much, but I do have my pride!" So he purchased a battered oil lamp which had seen better days for a handsome price (as he did not have change). The old man said, "Oh, thank you sir! My name is Desri, and I pray that the Gods favor you with ten fortunate events to come your way." And Desri scurried off to the nearest city for food.

It took Prince Jinn all day to reach the border of the Kingdom of Aradon, and by nightfall he had just entered the Kingdom of Basginhi. He made camp in the forest and set his horse to graze. After eating from his supplies he looked at the lamp and noticed that in his pack some of the dirt and tarish had worn off the side of the lamp. He could see letters that (translated) seemed to start "Beware the evil which lurks . . ." Prince Jinn found himself curious, and tried to polish the rest of the message so he could read it. No sooner had he about cleared up the rest of the message than the bottle started to shake violently in his hands. It fell to the ground, and with an explosion of vapor, an evil Djinn appeared out of the lamp.

"WHO DARES TO DISTURB MY SLUMBER! I SHALL MAKE SURE YOU DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH. LOOK NOT TO ME FOR FAVOR, AS I WILL RAIN DOWN A CURSE UPON YOU!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I suggest that whomever writes the next part of the story makes a quick post that says "BUSY WRITING NEXT SECTION" or something to that effect so that two people don't end up writing at the same time. It would be kind of annoying to write a whole section only to find out that someone was already working on it.

Fearful for his life, Prince Jinn promptly wet himself. His urine was particularly odorous this time around. It must have been that asparagus he had eaten earlier in the day.

Seeing Prince Jinn's garments darkening around his groin area, the Djinn began to laugh hysterically. "I HAVEN'T LAUGHED LIKE THAT IN YEARS!", the Djinn shouted.

"Why are you shouting?", replied the Prince. "Can't you see you've already scared the crap out of me?"

"Looks more like pee to me", the Djinn retorted.

"Whatever!", returned Prince Jinn, quite annoyed by this point.

The Djinn then proceeded to explain how great it felt to finally laugh again. He hadn't had a belly-buster like that for years! He then apologized for his grumpiness, and offered the Prince his choice between a new sports car or a hottie for a wife.

"I thought Djinn's granted wishes", the Prince replied to this strange offer. He didn't even have any clue as to what a sports car was.

"Yeah, well I'm not that kind of Djinn. So, what'll it be? A sports car or a hottie?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing what a "sports car" was, Prince Jinn said, "I will take a hottie!"

The Djinn waved his arms, and *poof* he produced a hot potatoe, steaming with melted butter which he handed to Prince Jinn. The Djinn broke into new peals of laughter and *poof* disappeared into nothingness.

By this time Prince Jinn was quite annoyed. But he ate his potatoe (actually quite delicious!), and then spent the next hour cleaning his clothing in the stream before setting it out to dry before falling asleep.

That night he dreamed of a beautiful woman, of handsome disposition, who wore but thin veils of a dancer in bright yellow, orange, and read colors which however covered her charms adequately. She approached Jinn and said, "I have a great gift for you!" but before he could ask what, he awoke in the bright sunshine of morning.

Prince Jinn decided he needed to have adventures and dreams that were more interesting and less annoying as he dressed and mounted his horse for the days ride.

He had ridden but two hours when he came upon a small town. He decided to stop to water his horse and gain some refreshment in the local inn. Sitting at the bar was a talkative gentleman who told the prince a story of a witch on the outskirts of town who would grant people wishes, but warned that sometimes they would not work. Sometimes disasterous results would occur. The prince left the inn to go and try to find the witch on his way out of town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"The TV says, 'Joey McCobb, ladies and gentlemen! Joey McCobb!' People are clapping on TV. Enid says, '"Joey McCobb" He is our God.' Rebecca says, 'I want to do him!'

"In the next panel Enid says, 'I bet! Actually he reminds me of that one creep you went out with, that one skinny guy who dressed like he was from the forties...'

"Wait a second," said the witch. "This would really go a lot better if you'd look at the pictures with me."

But Prince Jinn was already asleep.

"Perfect!" cackled the witch. She stepped over the slumped form of Jinn.

"How funny your name is Jinn. My name is Jhin. Ah, but no matter," she rasped in a hoarse whisper. Taking a small penknife out of the mesh sack she always had tied to her waist, she opened the knife, slashed open Jinn's belly, and began scooping out the as yet undigested potatoe.

"Hey, what gives?" Jinn shrieked, awakening painfully, screaming, and quickly dying.

"My potatoe! My potatoe!" the lovely Jhin rejoyced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
> Oh, dear. Let's see if I can give this a better direction.

Jhin began reading from her book. "Ohm madri isi himn. Gla shicta nobi timn." As she read, the wounds in Jin's belly slowly healed and he began breathing again. Soon he was whole and asleep. (> Let's not be killing off the main character please!)

Jhin took the remains of the potatoe and recited another incantation over them. The remains morphed into a potion in a bottle, which Jhin carefully set upon a shelf (> which hopefully removes the potatoe from the story.)

She then turned to Jin and recited more incantations over him to fortify his bowels and cure is problem perminantly so that he could face a charging rhino with no fear. (> Which hopefully gets rid of the bed wetting. Lets not get into constipation please.)

She then whispered into Prince Jin's ear a subliminal message: "Go to the town of Errm. There in the bar called Wrn's Inn you shall find the dancer of your dreams."

She then removed all memory of herself from his mind, placed him in the forest near the road, and left.

Prince Jin arose refreshed and ready to continue his travels. He seemed to recall a town of Errm down the road which seemed quite interesting, so he set off on his journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Errm was quite a distance away by horseback, and it was not a journey he was looking forward to. It was odd, he thought, that in recent days he'd uncovered multiple ways to gain boons from amorphous gasses and hungry, derange crones and yet he was still left with an dilapidated old horse upon which to travel.

Prince Jinn sighed audibly and hopped astride the hairy beast given to him by his father. Why had he encountered so much evil on what was to be a short journey to the Kingdom of Basginhi? Had he displased the Gods? What had he done?

A wave of nausea hit him before he was but a kilometer from the witches domicile. He jumped off the horse and vomited into the sand. A wrenching headache assailed him, and he involuntarily contorted his body, twisting this way and that, sand splaying about and working it's way into the folds of his clothing.

The agony lasted for minutes, and at the end, he lay, panting and alarmed. Slowly, laboriously, he stood. The mare, seemingly unaware of the actions of it's master, had strolled but a short distance away to munch on something.

"What was the cause of this?" The prince mumbled aloud. More evil? A coincedence? Unlikely. He tried to regain his earlier train of thought, but struggled to remember what he was pondering prior to the attack.

"I am afflicted," Jinn spoke to the oblivious horse. "But by WHAT?" Thoughts of travels, genies, witches, Desri the beggar, the woman of his dreams. Desri the beggar! That's right, he bought a lamp from him. The side of the lamp, what did it say?

"Beware the evil which lurks..." was what it said, prior to his rubbing. Now the rest of the text was revealed:

Beware the evil which lurks in the heart, for it too can escape.

He rubbed the lamp.

"WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER?! I AM CLEARLY MORE POWERFUL THAN ALL THE...Oh, it's you. What?"

"Terrible Djinn," began the prince. "What does the script on the side of this oil lamp mean?"

The Genie bent over to read it. "Seems clear enough to me."

"You are evil!" The prince dropped the lamp and pointed an accusing finger at the Djinn. "You have cursed me!"

"HA HA HA! You're a bright one. No, little man, I am of no disposition. It is YOU." And still laughing, the Djinn returned to the bottle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Where were all you folks when I was trying to drum up players for a game of Once Upon a Time in the forum? Sheesh.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/77309

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ow!" he proclaimed, for the climate was arid, and the ground packed hard by the passage of many camels. After a moment of silent contemplation, the prince climbed on his horse and rode off in search of breakfast.

After riding for some time, Jinn saw a fig tree; the branches bowed low under the weight of their burdens, it would be a simple matter for the prince to gather a sumptuous repast.

Reflecting on his journey to date, Jinn muttered under his breath "Oh, no; I'm not falling for that one", and urged his stalwart companion to a gallop.

Hungrier than ever, and with his hand still sore, Jinn continued his journey; truly do the prophets say that the road to wisdom is long and hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
> Oh, he "Hit the road" so his hand was sore. meeple

So it came to pass that Prince Jin arrived at the town of Errm. He was hungry, and spying Wrn's Inn, he decided to stop for the night and get some food.

He was just relaxing after an excellent meal when musicians came out and sat down to play some flutes, drums, and other odd looking instruments. As they started playing, a beautiful woman came out to dance. And it was not just any woman, it was the woman from Jin's dream!

She was quite beautiful, with a long tall face and golden hair that was so long it reached the middle of her back. She had two big, beautiful, . . . well, that too, but he was captivated by her deep sea-blue eyes. Dancing every night had made her limber and thin. She was dressed in the shearest of veils in bright yellow, red, and orange colors through which he could see she was wearing the barest of garmets for modesty.

Around each ankle was a golden chain which glowed faintly from no discernable source as she danced. The woman seemed tired, as if she had danced for far too long. Then Jin noticed a hooded man in the corner who muttered incantations as he pointed his finger at the girls ankles.

As the woman danced, the woman saw Jin, a stranger in the town. She approached him from the stage and whispered, "Help me!" to him as she danced.

As the bartender delivered the meal to the hooded stranger, his concentration was broken and the dancer was able to stop and rest for a moment, exhausted. Jin decided to try to distract the hooded man and help give her some rest.

"Excuse me, sir," said Jin approaching the man, "I cannot help but notice that you are a powerful wizard. Are you so powerful that you must use your power to control others?"

"I am, indeed, the most powerful wizard around. I am Rekor, feared by many, and no one can match my power. Now, begone before I turn you into something you do not want to be!"

"Ah, but you are not the most powerful around." said Jin.

"What??? You seek to challenge me? No one can match my power!"

"Ah, not me sir. But here, in this very lamp, I have a most powerful genie, who is far more powerful than you! But if you will let this woman go, I will give you the lamp, and you shall control the genie of the lamp!"

The wizard seemed to think on this a little, and then said, "Very well. I have grown bored of this dancer anyway. Give me the lamp, and take her away."

So Jin handed Rekor the lamp, with the most powerful (and evil Jin thought with a laugh) genie inside. Rekor gave Jin a small golden stick in return.

In later days there were tales in that town of a fearsome wizard, and an evil genie, who day after day were locked in battle between each other until the end of time. But that is getting ahead of the story.

Jin turned to the woman, and gave her the control stick. "Oh, thank you, sir! I am Mira, Princess of the Kingdom of Basginhi. I have been under the control of that evil wizard who made me dance non stop for 3 months and you have saved me! Tomorrow I shall lead you to my fathers castle, where he will reward you handsomely for saving his daugher!"

Jin and Mira returned to his room in the inn, where Mira had a chance to bathe and clean up. Jin anticipated a night of wonderous pleasure as he prepared for bed, but Mira, exhausted from 3 months of dancing, had already fallen asleep, and Jin was to sleep as best he could.

Come morning, Jin and Mira climbed onto Jin's horse, and they set off for the castle of the Kingdom of Basginhi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon they reached the gates of the castle of Basginhi and . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...were taken aback to see a burly man standing at the gates waiting for them. He wore a large knitted blue sweater that seemed barely able to keep his belly in check, covered by a navy blue jacket with a golden anchor stitched on the cover. His beard was quite disheveled, and a tattered old captain's hat sat atop his head.

"Tell myself a story!" he asked, and this was enough to give any traveler pause. He was obviously slighty mad and in no mood to hear stories about djinns, potatoes, or hitting the road with one's fist.

The prince nodded to the Captain. "Ahoy!" said he.

The Captain glared at him intently before procuring a pipe from his torn left pocket. He lit the tobacco inside and soon the air was filled with the odor of stale tobacco.

"So, ye think ye be passing through here, do ye?" chortled the Captain. "Matey, I've traveled all over these seas. I've seen things most mortal men would ne'er believe. If ye think ye can best me in competition, then I'm yer man, have at ye."

The prince paused again. It was obvious that engaging in combat with the man would be folly. He glanced at Mira inquisitively. She simply blew a huffed breath at one of her stray bangs but said nothing.

"What will it be, then, me hearty?" asked the Captain. "But so ye know....if ye lose, I will feast on the both of ye bones. So what will it be, lad?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many sights and thoughts passed through his mind as he ascended the stairs. Much of it had a dreamy consistancy, as if it had all happened long, long ago. If only he still had control over that Evil Djinn. There were many questions he needed answers to.

"Bah, that evil being would have just corrupted the truth. And there was certainly enough corruption around here. Mira's father was clearly mad. And he was the King? Long ago now, Jinn was tasked with delivering the message to this kingdom, friendly to his father. But now he's here, and this king of Basginhi, is a fool. He must find out more about the inner workings of this kingdom. But that servant girl...

Damn and blast! Women. It was the search for Mira that distracted me from my task, and her did I find," thought Jinn. His mind continued, "and now this girl. This beautiful girl, a slave to what wretched thing that Mira calls her mother.

But to the task at hand. I must deliver father's message, and then free the servant, escape Queen ConnieLou's watchful gaze, and leave Mira here to fend for herself with her mentially questionable parents."

He got to the top of the stairs and saw Mira waiting, impatiently, for him. Arms crossed, she glared and asked, "What was the delay, odd Prince? Hm?"

"I was..." Jinn stammered, "admiring your palace's architecture. It's so spectacularly opulent, compared to my father's kingdom. It's remarkable."

Uncrossing her arms, one hand went into a fist, and the other pointed to Jinn's face as she advanced. "You swine! I saw the way you looked at my mother!"

Jinn was taken aback, "What look? Utter disdain?"

"Hardly!" She screamed. "I know my mother, and what she's like! She flaunts her wares in front of every young man that enters the palace. It has driven my poor father to madness! You stay away from her!"

"Gladly!" Jinn smiled. "Look, seriously Mira, I'm not interested." His composure in the face of her wrath seemed to placate her.

She relaxed, "Okay. Sorry, it's just that what's she's done to my father..." She sat heavily in a gilded chair and buried her face in her hands. She looked up at Jinn. "I apologize, Prince. I've become accustomed to your presence during our long and odd journey, but I need not burden you with our family's troubles."

Perfect. "No, it's quite all right. I'm curious to know more about your family. Our fathers have been friends for so long, and..."

"Friends!" Mira interrupted, "They're not friends, they're brothers!"

"Wait, wha?" Flashbacks entered Jinn's mind of the night he found her, and his thoughts, and he began to feel a bit ill. "But...that makes us..."

"No. We're not related. My true father died when I was very young. The man who I call my father is the only one I've known for so long, but he's just another of the men that my mother has corrupted over the years."

It was Jinn's turn to sit down heavily, but for two reasons. First, it was with relief that his originally (but now wholly absent) impure thoughts about Mira. But secondly, it was the message he was suppose to deliver. The Djinn was right of course, it was Jinn who was himself a harbinger of evil. But it wasn't his idea, it was his father's. It took him this long to accept the idea that he was to kill this King of Basginhi per his father's wishes, but now to find out that this King is his Uncle.

Jinn began to feel nauseated. Again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.