Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something I think the games database needs, and its omission has been bugging me for a little while now.

I'm referring to some sort of system to catalog all of the different versions/editions of each game.

Currently, edition-related info is really only found in 2 places: the list of different publishers, and the image gallery. For instance, I didn't know that there were 3 U.S. editions of Settlers of Catan until I dug my way down to page 5 of the Settlers image gallery, and tracking down information about the previous editions took even more effort.

I propose that each game page receive a section dedicated to the various editions of each game. Each entry could include the following info:

- Publisher
- Country(s) available
- Years available
- Language
- Packaging differences/variants
- Components differences
- Rules changes
- Misc. notes

Each entry could have a thumbnail of that specific edition (if available) that links back to the image gallery.

So using Settlers as an example, you'd have edition entries for the original Kosmos edition, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Mayfair editions, and then the new Kosmos (plastic-bits) edition. Not to mention the Japanese, Dutch, etc. editions.

Another possible use for this function would be cataloging things like the Cheapass Games Brawl decks: the 17 different decks available could all get their own "edition" entries.

I think this idea could go a long way towards making the games database even more useful than it already is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Re: Edition/version/variant information -- needs organizatio
I agree. Especially for collectors.

FWIW, IIRC, Aldie said that dealing with that sort of thing *is* in the queue of things to be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
FWIW, IIRC, Aldie said that dealing with that sort of thing *is* in the queue of things to be done.

That's good to hear, if it's true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.