Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Kester
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got into gaming and am trying to start a game night with my friends. The problem is that they're very skeptical about playing board games for a few hours. What ONE game (I have very limited funds ninja ) should I use to try and get them into gaming. I've done some research on the subject but would like some of your opinions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago would be a good choice. It's relatively quick, the victory condition is easy to understand (get the most money), and it has a fun bribery mechanism. It's also simple enough that you can play from the one-page rules summary. Also consider Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to use one game with which to introduce new people to eurogames it would definitely be a tile-laying game because it's a mechanic that people are not familiar with in the games they're familiar with, but it's also a mechanic that is easy to pick up and learn quickly. Tile-laying involves a fair amount of luck, but it's not as boring as rolling dice constantly, plus there are strategies that they'll pick up as they play. Also, tile-laying games are generally relatively inexpensive, so that'll help in your situation.

The best tile-laying game in my opinion is Carcassonne (and you can choose any of the standalones, such as the original, or Hunters & Gathers, or City, or Discovery, etc.), but Alhambra is also great, and you could go with Tigris & Euphrates if you're ambitious and want more direct conflict. If you do go with Carcassonne, you may want to start by including one of the expansions (such as Inns/Cathedrals or Traders/Builders) right off the bat, to make the game a little more involved. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Weiss
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had success with Bohnanza, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne and San Juan. If you think you can swing it, I've found that San Juan can be a really quick bridge to the medium-heavy to heavy euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago - a bit too cutthroat for beginners.

Setters - one of the very best first games

I played it to death when I got into Eurogames. It remains a classic and is still fun (but not played nearly as often).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nachtrab
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I've had the most success with games that are very social, not too strategic/tactical, and fairly light. My number one game for bringing non-gamers into the fold, by a huge margin, is Bohnanza. It plays a lot of people (up to seven), is very social, and there's not a lot of 'take that' play or direct screwage that can turn people off. Among all my friends and family I've talked into a game of Bohnanza in the last year and a half, every single one has come away loving it. Probably four or five have purchased their own copy.

My second choice would be something from Days of Wonder like Pirate's Cove or Ticket to Ride. These games are light and simple but just complex enough to really get people hooked, and the fact that games last only 60-90 minutes is a plus as well. I actually prefer Pirate's Cove and friends and family seem to enjoy it a bit more as well.

Once I've got them hooked on one of these, and they're clamoring "what else do you have", that's when I pull out something a bit more complex, like Santiago, Samurai, Through the Desert, or Modern Art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Kobra about avoiding Blokus. I would avoid anything abstract (including, sadly, E&T), and concentrate instead on something with a colorful theme.
I WILL maintain the drone, however, about Settlers of Catan and Bohnanza. Nothing like telling someone they are now a bean farmer to get them to really stop and listen! Those two have never failed me in hooking the newbies.
In fact, Bohnanza is even cheap enough you can maybe get them both! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been introducing my business partners to gaming over the last few months when we get together. I started with Citadels because most adults are more familiar with card games and Citadels has good strategy as well as rules one can pick up in a very short time period. It proved a huge hit with them.

From there we've played Ra and Primordial Soup. Both of these have been very well recieved. Next up is Princes of Florence perhaps or perhaps Puerto Rico as i may do a trade for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I much agree with the colorful theme part. I think that's part of the reason Citadels works well for me with my partners to start with. Bohnanza isn't a bad idea either because it's a very fanciful game.

fendwick wrote:
I agree with Kobra about avoiding Blokus. I would avoid anything abstract (including, sadly, E&T), and concentrate instead on something with a colorful theme.
I WILL maintain the drone, however, about Settlers of Catan and Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
TKRKS wrote:
I recently got into gaming and am trying to start a game night with my friends. The problem is that they're very skeptical about playing board games for a few hours. What ONE game (I have very limited funds ninja ) should I use to try and get them into gaming. I've done some research on the subject but would like some of your opinions

diplomacy is a few hours game although when i tuagher my friends to play it the demanded to have a meeting playing seven players. we are a very slow players and each year can take us a hour and a half although most of the people plays much faster then us. we played once from 2 P.M. to 1 A.M. and it wasn;t enough for us. if your friends have problems with such long game syou might don't want to show this to them but i can tell you that this game went instanly to one of the favorites of all my friends/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.