Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought it was important to respond maturely to comments on Geeklists and other postings here at BGG. In fact, I'm a bit anal about respecting and preserving the comments. For example, I made a mistake in my review of Twilight Struggle, citing the victory points needed as 30 instead of 20. I did fix the text of the review, but I also kept the comments that corrected the mistake.

Therefore, it's extremely bad form, in my eyes, to post a Geeklist that's asking for controversy:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

...And then delete the comments you don't like--several, in this case, not just mine. Fortunately, this conduct is the exception that defines the rule at BGG. Just as fortunately, the BGG database preserves your comments, even if the Geeklist owner deletes them. For sake of posterity, and to show the kind of comments that the Geeklist author deleted, here's what I wrote:

Ha ha ha. Ho ho ho. Hee hee hee. I'm in stitches. Those kooky French--they can't do anything right!

Well, except that they beat the Germans in WWI. Oh, and there was that time they seized the Suez Canal with the British and Israelis, only to have the US pressure them to give control back to the Egyptians. Uh, and I forgot about the fact that they fought alongside US forces in Operation DESERT STORM and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, and they worked side-by-side with the US and other NATO countries to turn the Balkans from a walking nightmare to something liveable. And there was that Napoleon guy...And the Hundred Years War...Y'know, come to think of it, those Frenchies actually have done a good job on the battlefield once in a while!

If only I could add some games here that chronicle those conflicts. Unfortunately, that might spoil the joke--except it wasn't that funny to begin with.

I can stand criticism, including when people point out downright mistakes I've made. I can't abide censorship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The 'gentleman' who created that list is not only devoid of any knowledge of history, he is also making an enormous ass of himself. Remember the name, he's not worth dealing with.

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
best policy is to ignore the list and not give it attention. Whatever twinge I felt to share my thoughts on the list I swallowed because that only feeds the troll, no matter what you say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the reason for my response is that I'm tired of the stupid "French surrender monkey" jokes. When my wife and I were in Paris a few years ago, we visited the Museum of the French Resistance. One of the items displayed was a letter written by a very young member of the maquis, who was captured by the Gestapo and awaiting execution. The letter, written in his own blood, was his farewell to his family. Every time I hear a stupid "surrender monkey" joke, I think about that young man, and what a cruel dishonor we do to his memory--not to mention the millions of other French who fought the Germans in WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think he deleted it.
Your comments are still there. BGG auto-wraps after 20 comments.
You can click "Show all comments" to see what you wrote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Cow! I must have seen that geeklist right after it was posted. There were only three replies then. I thought somebody must have just discovered that google search gag that was posted here months ago and was trying to pass it off as original humor. I pop-in a few hours later, skip over that one and see what this thread is about. It seems the geeklist author has created his own indefensible position like ...jeez...help me out guys...I really don't want to say Dien Bien Phu...

Anyway, it's one blank non-game geeklist joke too many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I had been hesitant to even look at the referenced G-List as I thought it might be a cesspool. I just took a look, and, whew, every bit as bad as I thought! As an American, I am embarrassed by that post. While I may have issues with the current French government (and the American one as well!), one cannot deny the French assistance during our Revolutionary War was key to OUR victory!

As for the "bad form", it does appear that all comments are there, but the first 20 are wrapped - you can still see them if you wish. I for one am staying far, far, away!!! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone could create a counter-list dedicated to French victories ...

The games appearing in Vae Victus magazine are bound to yield some titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Story
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Rigtheous indignation. I love the stench of it all.

Hey, over time all countries change. Good become bad. Defender becomes Aggresor. Half a century ago America was fighting the biggest megalomaniac in the world, now we have one in our top seat. So to site history as a litmus test about the current state of a country just reinforces the fact that any true historical insight is lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Don't think he deleted it.
Your comments are still there. BGG auto-wraps after 20 comments.
You can click "Show all comments" to see what you wrote.

Good God, you're right! I apologize to the author of the Geeklist. There is still at least one posting that I know I read earlier today that's now missing, but it might be the poster deleted it, not the Geeklist owner. I'll leave it up to the Geeklist's owner to tell me if I should delete this journal entry, or leave it as a monument to my own error. By default, I'll just leave it here.

(I still want to hear how he responds to the comments he got. Thus far, not much of a response.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If post are indeed being deleted, then I agree with the tenor of this comment; however, as for this:

Kingdaddy wrote:
If only I could add some games here that chronicle those conflicts.

If it 'chronicles' the conflcts, its NOT a game; there has to be some user interaction and the opportunity for players to overturn history, or you might as well read a book.

By way of real respect for the brave French in battles down the ages, I have posted here some images of their Victory Arch in the Champs Elysees - taken this New Year...
http://www.ludorum.co.uk/BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no good or bad countries. If you think your country is "good" or "bad" then you are kidding yourself. If you think your country is doing something at the international level to help people other than its own citizens, you may or may not be right, since it is usually hard to tell when you're in the situation. In general, countries and governments act in the international forum with its own citizens' benefits in mind, therefore nothing is done out of pure selflessness or charity or goodness. This is just the tip of the iceberg, of course... If you think your current government or any government is looking out for all the citizens of your country, you are kidding yourself! etc., etc., etc...

as for deleting comments on a geeklist, it makes me unhappy I understand if someone is being a complete ass on a geeklist you invested time and effort in, but if you were an ass to begin with, well, you were asking for it. so the person who created that list should either delete the whole list or nothing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.