J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
I new to BGG and love spending time here. Seems like my new home away from home. Really nice to run into so many folks that share my passion/addiction.

But here is the problem:

People will not reply to my emails on trading.

I got to believe this is an old issue, but bear with me for a moment.

I have a very large collection of games. Many, I don't play any more. Want to trade them for other games. So I find direct matches to my trade wants and their wants. Send an email to folks asking about their games and offering to send information on mine that they are actively looking for in their profile. Then... Hear....nothing... not a "no thanks"... not a "take a hike" not a "later bud".... nothing...shake

Now that is not everyone. Out of say 37 messages I have sent, 4 have come back to me and said they would or wont trade. But, the rest. Nada.

So, I look at actually posting a formal offer. You know. Hello there, here is the offer, my game for your game type of thing. And ..... wait.... till .... it.....expires. Arrrrggghhh.... angry

Help out a BGG newbie here. What is a guy to do? I would like to think that most folks are kinder and more polite than this.

Maybe I'm going about the whole trade thing wrong. I've read the sellers guide and followed all the procedures so I guess I'm missing what I am supposed to do.

Can someone help me figure out how to get these folks to at least respond to someone's offer.

Or, better yet. Launch a full out blitz on trading what I have to folks that really WANT to do trades. Not just list that they want to do trades.

Any help at all that you can give me would be appreciated.

There ....see.... I'm calmer now.

Thank you,

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, it's the norm. I have made a good number of successful trades here, and just guessing, I'd say that the percentage of those that were the result of a direct trade offer are in the single digits. Still, you should stick with it. You'll eventually get to know some of the more active traders on the 'Geek, and they'll get to know you.

I've found that the Ultimate Trade and Math Trade type geeklists are by far your best bet for successful trading. For direct trade offers, always make sure that you check to see if the person you've asked to trade is still an active member. If you make a trade offer to someone who hasn't logged on in three years, your odds aren't good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I'm New ...But is that any reason to ignore my trade off
Anybody can make a trade offer. The trick is finding a win/win that both parties will be happy with. Don't give up trying, and some of us do reply to every email offer you're just picking out the bad apples it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick reply.

Are there links that you know of for getting started in Ultimate Trades and Math Trades?

Thinking up posting one with the 20 some games I'm looking to trade. I'm really just looking for about 3 or 4 games in exchange.

Is there a way for me to state that I would trade many games for one great one? Say Puerto Rico, or Goa, or Traders of Genoa, or... you know

Thanks again for all the help.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've made over 60 trades on the site; often times my trade offers get ignored, too. Sometimes it is better to send a GeekMessage instead of a direct trade. The one way for sure to get a trade going is to offer more to the other person in "value" than you are getting in return. My first trade I dealt Adv. Civ. for Machiavelli. But because I knew I would NEVER play my copy of Adv. Civ., and I would play Mach., it was a good trade for me and a great trade for the other person.
Keep trying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is to use geek mail to approach someone about a trade first. If the mail goes unanswered you can look at another trade with the same game without having to wait for an offer to expire. You can also make several inquiries about the same game.

I've made a few trades and had lots of geekmail/offers go unanswered. I don't get the not answering part myself. People could at least send off a quick "sorry not interested".

Stick with it. Trades are still cheaper than buying new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting into Ultimate / Math trading is easy. Just watch the trade related geeklists, wait for one to come up (like this one http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12668 ), and then jump in if you see something that catches your interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been here at BGG for very long either. Most of my trades have come from putting items on Math Trades when they come up. There are 2 possibilities for not getting responses.

1. Before sending a geekmail, see when the last time the user logged on. When I have searched for trades for specific games, many times I come up with people that haven't logged on since 2004 or sometime in mid 2005. They may not be responding because they don't come to the site anymore.

2. Some trades I've proposed through geekmail usually don't get responses. You might check if they've logged on since then. The other thing is that some people don't feel they need to send back a response to say that the don't like the offer.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
I've made over 60 trades on the site; often times my trade offers get ignored, too. Sometimes it is better to send a GeekMessage instead of a direct trade. The one way for sure to get a trade going is to offer more to the other person in "value" than you are getting in return. My first trade I dealt Adv. Civ. for Machiavelli. But because I knew I would NEVER play my copy of Adv. Civ., and I would play Mach., it was a good trade for me and a great trade for the other person.
Keep trying...

He speaks truth! I just finished a superb trade with him. Bill gets my highest recommendation as a trader.

There are lots of good traders out there....just keep trying!

And Direct Matches are cool, but when I use it I get stuff waaaaay out of whack (like, "You want their Dungeoneer, they want your Shogun"). It's better to just send messages to people, maybe make an offer, get a feel for what they want to trade and what they're not too crazy about. If you don't get a response within a couple of days, move on.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides checking whether or not the user regularly logs on (an excellent point brought up above), you might want to check out the user's trade lists. I've found that many times when the trade list (or want list) is unreasonably large, there may not be as much incentive to trade, as the game(s) in question may not be very important. I try and look for users that really want the game I'm trying to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all.
You have been very kind and helpful.
I will press forward.
I know something will pop soon.
It's nice to know there are some great folks out there in the BGG community.
Feel free to check my list and see if I have anything you might want to trade.
Guess you never know.
McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say that I have traded with J. David Koch (McGuit) and he was an excellent trader. I really appreciate the letter he wrote!

If you need help getting involved in the trade lists, just send me a message and I'll do my best to help you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
SliverXII wrote:
Before sending a geekmail, see when the last time the user logged on. When I have searched for trades for specific games, many times I come up with people that haven't logged on since 2004 or sometime in mid 2005. They may not be responding because they don't come to the site anymore.

This is a really good point. Always check the "last logged on" date of any prospective trader. (It has been suggested before that people that haven't logged on in 6-12 months should have their trade lists cleared. That would help a lot.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
McGuit wrote:
Are there links that you know of for getting started in Ultimate Trades and Math Trades

I’ve written up a guide for math trades.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read all of the posts so I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but I would suggest updating your Owned Games List too. It shows that you own 12 games, but you have 20+ for trade. It just looks kind of fishy. If you own a game, mark it as owned even if you just want to get rid of it. Still, it's no reason for people not to respond to you. That's just rude. As others have said, make sure you check people's last login date. Some people haven't logged on in over a year. Personally, I don't offer a trade to anyone who hasn't logged on in the last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestion. I will upgrade my listing now.
Mark it up to being a BGG newbie.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McGuit wrote:

People will not reply to my emails on trading.

I got to believe this is an old issue, but bear with me for a moment.

I have a very large collection of games. Many, I don't play any more. Want to trade them for other games. So I find direct matches to my trade wants and their wants. Send an email to folks asking about their games and offering to send information on mine that they are actively looking for in their profile. Then... Hear....nothing... not a "no thanks"... not a "take a hike" not a "later bud".... nothing...shake

Now that is not everyone. Out of say 37 messages I have sent, 4 have come back to me and said they would or wont trade. But, the rest. Nada.

So, I look at actually posting a formal offer. You know. Hello there, here is the offer, my game for your game type of thing. And ..... wait.... till .... it.....expires. Arrrrggghhh.... angry

Is somebody saying something? I keep hearing this buzzing in my ear...

I will look at your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't want to put the kibosh on your trading aspirations, but after looking over your trade list, the games just aren't that exciting. i mean, most of them are thrift-store type games, so you probably won't find that many people REALLY interested in them. you might have to offer more value on your side to offset the averageness of your offered games -- i've done this plenty of times, and it works fairly well.

keep at it, and don't get too discouraged when people don't respond to your offers. i've had almost two hundred trades here, but i've probably sent five hundred or more offers... you just have to keep at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Favre4MVP wrote:
I didn't read all of the posts so I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but I would suggest updating your Owned Games List too. It shows that you own 12 games, but you have 20+ for trade. It just looks kind of fishy.

Interesting - I specifically differtiate between games that are part of my collection (i.e., "owned"), and those that I have for trade (i.e., working towards not "owned"). So for me, a game marked "owned" & "for trade" would be one I have a spare copy of to trade, whereas one just marked "for trade" would be one I decided I was no longer interested in.

OTOH, I've had no difficulty in finding a number of trades, both here and elsewhere, so perhaps it's not so fishy as to be worrisome for most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So for me, a game marked "owned" & "for trade" would be one I have a spare copy of to trade, whereas one just marked "for trade" would be one I decided I was no longer interested in.

that's actually a good idea. i've sometimes had trouble remembering if i still have a game, after trading a duplicate. hmm, but a big bother going through and changing all my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:

Interesting - I specifically differtiate between games that are part of my collection (i.e., "owned"), and those that I have for trade (i.e., working towards not "owned"). So for me, a game marked "owned" & "for trade" would be one I have a spare copy of to trade, whereas one just marked "for trade" would be one I decided I was no longer interested in.

OTOH, I've had no difficulty in finding a number of trades, both here and elsewhere, so perhaps it's not so fishy as to be worrisome for most.

That's what I do. I have a pile of games I fully intend to get rid of so they're only marked trade. Part of it is to be better organized and part of it is I'm not ready to admit to how many games I really have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah, I've been getting the ignored emails too. A simple "No thanks." is too much to hope for I guess. Or the "I'll think about it" and then nothing for days. Looking at your trade list, I suspect that those titles aren't necessarily ones many people will place on high priority, it is still polite to respond to an email offer. I didn't start making trades until my collection grew enough to have some titles that people were interested in. But keep at it. You never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I must also concurr with the frustrations. I've got some decent games, and they are all in very good condition--some better. I've also sent geek mail to propose a trade, asking users to reply with interest before I'd take the step to enter it into the BGG system.

I check the 'last login' date and don't bother with geek mail to those that have not logged in within the last week or so.

And...about a 10% rate of folks even responding. It can be discouraging...not because many are declined (which I certainly understand), but because they are folks that SEE the e-mail (their login date continues to be current), but simply because some fellow geeks simply don't see it as polite or necessary to respond.

Oh well...we are a diverse lot, after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback from all of you.
Just wanted to give a quick update as of tonight.

Since I posted this forum message I have had close to 10 people contact me to talk about trades, express their support, or simply drop a line telling me they have had similar experiences and to hang in there.

And that is in addition to all of your great feedback and support on the public side of the forum.

The good news is that I have put together two successful trades in the last couple of days.

Primarily based on folks taking the time to writing to me and starting a new relationship.

I'm honestly taken aback and touched that so many of you would time out of your day to simply let me know I am not alone with the frustrations that I have expressed.

So first, thank you.

Next, I really feel more prepared for the wild world of trading than I was even a week ago.

I've made a lot of new friends here and I will be on BGG for a long time to come.

It may sound corny but it really does feel like a great web home.

If ever I can help any of you or just support you, don't hesitate to let me know.

And finally.....

Let the trading begin....

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definately McGuit is a GREAT trader. I would trade with you again anytime so keep at it. I've faced the same experience as you. Generally about 10 offers per successful trade and better than half the people (even though active) won't respond at all to your offer. Like others have said, best to send a PM as opposed to an actual offer so you can hit up a bunch of people at once instead of waiting for days to have your offer expire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.