Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the "off the board" endgame for this scenerio (i.e. when someone becomes the Elder King all the player are magically teleported to some nebulous location and have a big brawl). I think it takes away from the flow of the game somewhat. So I have an alternate suggestion for the endgame:

The goal is still for the Elder King to kill off all the other heroes, and for the other heroes to try to kill off the Elder King thus becoming Elder King themselves. However it's done a bit differently.
When a player collects a set of vassals, he becomes the Elder King, but all the players remain in their locations on the board. The King selects 3 vassals to keep and discards the rest. He also gains the following advantages: when in a town during the Market step, he can take any market cards from that town's stack for free and he also gets healed for free in any town (he IS the King after all). He can also split off any of his vassals and send them off to kill other heroes. Split-off vassals then go to the undefeated challenge area and the appropriate number marker is used to represent them on the board. These vassals move the same way as heroes using movement die on the controlling player's turn and get healed for free in towns (however they cannot use market items). Play then continues as normal. When the Elder King is attacked, the attacker must fight any vassals that are with the King first. The King decides in what order the vassals engage. If the King defeats all the other heroes, he wins. If he is killed by one of the heroes, that hero now becomes the Elder King, selects up to 3 vassals from his hand, and play continues as before until only one player is left.

I havn't tried actually playing with this variant, but it seems like it may be fun. Let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,
I totaly agree with you, that the normal ending does not "feel" right. Your idea sounds interesting. I will give it a try with my group. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, has anybody tested this variant? Sounds promising, but - alas - no feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
How about rolling one die to see how many items the King can get from the market place. Then it would be luck as to what they could get. And you could further limit it by saying he can only do this three times. Just a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.