Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play this game at my son's preschool when I brought snacks for the day during their free play time. My 4 year old son picked this out of the cabinet and I was able to read the rules in less than a minute.

Basic game play:
The board is the side of a building with windows, stairs, ladders and ropes. You roll a big oversize D6 and move that many spaces. If you land on a window with a chip, you get the chip which is a pet you are rescueing. If you land on a ladder you move up to the top of it. If you land on a rope you slide down to the bottom of it. At the end of each row of windows is a staircase to take you to the next level of windows. The game ends when someone gets to the helicopter on the roof and whoever got the most pets win.

Review:
I haven't played "Chutes & Ladders" in over 30 years, but I think it's basically the same with the Rescue Hero theme and the Pet rescue. The game has no decision making at all and is pure luck in the dice. You either get lucky and land on windows with pets or you miss them all as you move up the building.

However, if you have a big Rescue Heroes fan, there are 4 cool figures to represent your player included.

Overall, I give it a 2 since it is a game, but has no decision making in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Mccants
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be contrary, but this game, while being a Chutes & Ladders variant, is not that awful.

Pet Rescue improves on the classic Chutes and Ladders mechanics by encouraging players to move not only up, but rewards players for moving down.

Player motivation is not longer specifically about racing, but also about collecting the pets to rescue them. The game give a pale nod to co-op play, by suggesting all players are working as a team -- you can imagine how the preschool set reacts to that (they don't get it)

All pet cards are face-down to begin with, so you have no idea what pet you are collecting as u move up and down the board. My kids often trade pets depending on which ones are revealed.

The board design is challenged by it's "side" spaces, which have images of fire escapes, but don't feel very well integrated into the movement of pieces, so u sometimes forget to go up the steps and count the spaces as part of your roll.

A big friendly die with numerals rather than pips helps with the early reading set, and it nothing else, the pawns look great on birthday cakes.

In the end, it is Chutes and Ladders, which is almost as bad as Candy Land, part of what I call the trilogy of games, including Monopoly, that are used for punishing naughty children with bad play mechanics, ovelry long playing times, and fight inducing races that usually end with the board and pieces on the floor. But, Pet Rescue's new collecting mechanic, combined with slides (in this case ropes) that don't punish players, makes this version a little more tolerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.