Popular Tags: [View All]
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The German edition which I possess suggests that the thief gets the stolen money immediately, i.e. in his turn.
Now i figured that it is in contrary to other language mutations of the rules. Nevertheless, my experience is that the "German" way makes the thief character more attractive and still not too powerful.
Would anybody have an idea why the German translation is different from the rest?
thanks, kv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Are you sure? Faidutti's site makes no mention of differences between thieves in various editions---only that the King is different, and that the rule for not having the same building in your city twice was forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my german rules tell me that the thief gets the stolen money when the target character's turn begins. And I think that any other way would be too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
yes, i am quite positive. in my copy of the german card of the thief, it says, he gets his stolen gold "sofort". i do not have the card in front of me now to give you the full text but we played yesterday evening and we had both the german and the czech versions and there was this clear difference. today i figured at BGG that in almost all other languages i can monitor the non-german version prevails.
but again, i have to say i like the "german" version better. in the original version, i feel, the thief would be too weak.

k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Holst
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this rule is often misinterpreted, it is still clear even in the German edition: the thief gets the money "sofort" when the victim's turn starts. This "sofort" means, that the money changes hands before the victim can do any actions, and not immediately after the victim's role had been announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, the Thief is not too weak - no matter the translation. An advantage that newer players tend to overlook about the thief and the assassin is that they act so early in the turn. Also, as the thief can't steal from the assassin, the thief is generally not assassinated. Therefore, being able to act early in the round, being almost never the victim of assassination and getting extra gold later to boot - not exactly what I would call weak - especially late in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.