Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Hello,
I've just got into gaming and the wife's keen too. We currently play Carcassonne and T&E. They're both great games but we prefer T&E.

The Mrs has given me the go ahead to get a war game. I've been reading plenty of reviews on here and I'm leaning towards one of these 2 -

Rommel in the Desert
Europe Engulfed

I also looked at ASL Starter Pack #1 but I really prefer the idea of a block game.

I'd like to point out that were not afraid of the game being complex. If the rules are long we'll reread them. If there's ambiguities in the rules I'm sure someone will of asked for clarification on here already

What we ideally want is a block war game that is fun but not too heavy on the political front. We want to set the game up and be attacking each other fairly rapidly. Were also not bothered about historical accuracy.

I'm not sure if any of the games I'm looking at fit into that description. I've looked at Hammer of the Scots, Memoir 44, Crusader Rex and others but RitD and EE are top of the pile so far.

I'd appreciate any recommendations from you seasoned professionals meeple

Cheers
Nick .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick,

The jump in complexity from T&E to Rommel in the Desert or Europe Engulfed is probably a lot more than you imagine. I'm sure others here will join me in recommending you first start with simpler fare, such as Hammer of the Scots. Hammer is a great game that I think you will really enjoy. It's not only the complexity of the rules, but the time it takes to play, that makes games like Rommel and EE somewhat difficult.

Some other choices to consider would be "Napoleon" and "Bonaparte at Marengo", if you have any interest in the Napoleonic Wars. You'll find that the type of wargames you'll like is related to how much interest you have in different parts of history. Theme is a lot more significant in wargames than it is in Euro's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick,

If you are thinking about any of the Columbia games (Rommel, Hammer, etc.), any ideas on sourcing them yet? I've been thinking of getting one or two of these myself, but Columbia games seem to be hard to get hold of over here.

I heard talk of Columbia planning to distribute to the UK again, but I've not seen anything yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated above the level of complexity in some war games is far more than I think you understand. A "light" war game like Axis and Allies would be perfect you, and even thats a significant jump in complexity and rules over the games you've played. T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Rommel and EE are probably rather much of a jump for you right now. Hammer of the Scots or Crusader Rex would seem a more natural intro to wargames. I know you're not afraid of complex, but you'll probably enjoy yourselves more if you don't make the learning curve quite so steep. The mechanics for wargames differ significantly from those of Euros, so it's best to get used to them first. Both HOTS and CR are straightforward (yet interesting and replayable), can be played in a single evening, and will let you start smacking each other around very quickly.

I played Memoir '44 for the second time last night and just can't love that game. I find that it's more luck-driven than either Hammer or Crusader, with less interesting choices. [bracing for possible flame war]

If/when you decide to consider non-block games, take a look at Wilderness War and Paths of Glory. Both of those are very nice intros to chit wargames. For traditional wargames, the rules are simple, but even these games are quite a step up in complexity from HOTS or CR. Once you wrap your brain around them, though, you've got hours of juicy gaming goodness in store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobsworth wrote:
Hello,
Were also not bothered about historical accuracy.

I'm going to jump on that part and recommend you look at Wizard Kings from Columbia also. Pure fantasy, but the same block mechanic and tons of fun with massive replayability. Army and map expansions available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies. I'll take all your advice and work my way up to RitD, EE etc.

Ben: If I can't find the games Im after on here or ebay etc I'll just order direct from columbia games (should get the game in time for next Christmas then ) I think there's a copy of EE going for £50 in the UK here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=listforsa... not columbia games I know, but I nearly bought it

lmyrick: Oh No ! You've just added more wood to the fire there I hadn't noticed Wizard Kings, but now you've bought it up it looks very interesting.

Thanks again for the help everyone, I think I'll be going for either Hammer of the Scots or Wizard Kings, either of which I'm sure will be highly enjoyable

Nick .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick,
Sounds like you have done your research so you probably already know this but just in case - Columbia Games posts its rules for Hammer of the Scots, Rommel, etc online (Columbiagames.com). So you might read before you buy. I think that Columbia also has Hammer for online play for free (I think) so that you can play before you buy.

I agree that length may be an issue for you to consider. Hammer is shorter many others and Rommel does have some shorter scenarios. I also like East Front but its scenarios run longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the acolades for Hammer of the Scots and Crusader. Rommel in the Desert is really a great game though and the learning curve is worth it in the end in my opinion. There are very few games that have a tension level as high as RitD.

Columbia games also produced a couple of introductory level block games earlier called Quebec 1759 and War of 1812. Both are solid games that are an excellent way to make the transition to block/war games. Both can be played in an hour to an hour and a half. The Canadian Wargames Journal also printed a couple of articles on the games allowing for more depth and some good optional rules to add a little more complexity and historical accuracy. Send me a msg if you are interested in aquiring these articles.

Good luck with your foray into block gaming!

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nick,

If you can stand the 50 pound (where's the pound key?) cost of Europe Engulfed, and you're fairly certain you want it, you might want to jump on it now - I've read in more than one place that's supplies are thinning, and it may be oop soonish...

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Keith: Good call. I had noticed that columbia games had some downloads but hadn't paid much attention. I'll check out the rules, thanks.
I also belive that Wizard Kings has a short scenario that can be played through in one hour which would be a good learning tool.

Brent: I will check out those games you mention, thanks. I will get RitD at some stage but I think I'll get something a little 'simpler' first, as advised on this thread

Scott: I've just paid closer attention to that EE add and I notice that it was placed in Nov 2004 !

I will leave it a few days while I chew over the advice I've been given and read more rules and reviews.

I understand that there is a lot of luck involved in HotS with the draw of the cards, more than most war games, is this correct ? How does the luck factor compare with Wizard Kings ?

Nick .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I also belive that Wizard Kings has a short scenario that can be played through in one hour which would be a good learning tool.

It is a good learning tool for a very basic game. After you learn the game, it is not always necessary to use scenarios. I prefer using a 100 point army for each player and any two maps. I would also encourage buying the kit or extra armies if you decide on Wizard Kings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
jobsworth wrote:
I'd like to point out that were not afraid of the game being complex. If the rules are long we'll reread them. If there's ambiguities in the rules I'm sure someone will of asked for clarification on here already

Rommel in the Desert is great if you can handle the complexity, and it has some excellent short scenarios (in the 2-3hr range). The rulebook is very clear and you shouldn't have any trouble understanding it. But having said that, there are a lot of rules to digest. And the game is quite unforgiving: one tiny mistake and you've lost. Your best bet is to download the rulebook from Columbia's Rommel page and see if you're up to it:

http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?prod...

jobsworth wrote:
What we ideally want is a block war game that is fun but not too heavy on the political front. We want to set the game up and be attacking each other fairly rapidly. Were also not bothered about historical accuracy.

If set up and play time is limited, Bonparte at Marengo is another good block game to consider. The rules are short (but again, difficult and unforgiving), and you can get through a game in 90 minutes. Europe Engulfed takes, uh, considerably longer to set up and play, so you might want to hold off on that for a while.

Something else worth mentioning is that Rommel and BaM are more about manouvering than combat. If you're looking for a game where you blast the crap out of each other, they might be a bit low on action for you.

A word about components: they won't be up to the standard of Carcassonne etc. Most block games have a map made of thin card rather than an actual mounted board (Bonaparte at Marengo is the exception, and has a proper board). Also, if you do buy a Columbia game, you will also need to buy a dice brick (a set of at least 20 six sided dice). Whatever you choose, be sure to download the latest rules from the publisher's site, and a player aid from BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a similar question about Hammer and Rommel several days ago. Here is the link to the excellent discussion:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/765121#765121

Good luck in your decision.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia Games does have some excellent games to choose from but I'd also like to suggest Worthington Games. I purchased Victoria Cross and have enjoyed it greatly as well. And it's a game that you can play even in you're a newbie like my wife is into the wargame realm. There are no fiddly counters. The blocks are sturdy and the art is decent for the game. I'm afraid my vague description doesn't do the game justice but i'm having a hard time feeling enthused on anything at work. Just give the game a boo... won't cost more than some time and if you're going to spend some scratch... then making sure you've balanced your choice is always a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info everyone.

Last night I looked at the rules on columbia games and did some more reading on the geek lists. I got the impression that both HotS and Wizard Kings are great for getting into block games.

I couldn't decide between the two, so I got the wife involved and she quickly got very excited about Wizard Kings, so we ordered it.

$40 + $10 postage + £x import tax so not the cheapest option, but for all the fun it will [hopefully] bring it's not expensive either

Once again, thanks for all the help and advice folks.

Nick .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.