Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm setting up a BG tourney for the HS Game Club that I am the advisor of and I need some suggestions.

Here's what I'm thinking:

*3 rounds of games - all 4-player
*People score 3 pts. for winning, 2 pts. for 2nd place, 1 for 3rd, 0 for last
*After 1st round, top 8 scores move to 2nd round. Then top 4 will move to final game.

This should work out nicely if I have a number of participants divisible by 4. So what I'm looking for is any suggestions you may have if I have an "off" number of players (Currently, there are 14 signed up.)

Thanks for your help.

-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
STOP POKING MEEEE!
badge
This is not my pokerface... I'm just really dull.
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming it stays as 14:

For the first round, make those short-handed games first-come, first -served. The people who signed up for the tourney first have an easier first round.

After your first round, You'll have:
Four players > Three Points
Four players > Two Points
Four players > One Points
Two players > Zero Points

So for your second round, your "Threes" will play together, Your "Twos" will play together, three of your "Ones" will play together, and the other "One", selected at random, will play with your "Zeros". Do something similar for the third round.

And of course, your semis will be 1-4-5-8 at one table, and 2-3-6-7 at the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the minimum number of games does each player get? It sounds like you paring to 8 players after the first game.

If the games handle 3 or 5 players well, the best solution is to assign players randomly to odd number games but make sure no player plays in more than one until all have played in one. Also modifying the scoring system in odd number player games might be necessary.

If the game doesn't anything but 4 players well, then that's a bigger problem. The best solution then is probably give byes to some players. Maybe you can arrange it so everyone gets a bye.

Also 3-2-1-0 scoring system might not be the best system:
- It tends to generate a lot of ties, so you need tiebreakers to break them. (Number indicating place in each game: 123 = 222 = 114 all get 6 points, etc.)
- It tends to create possibilities for players to metagame: Let's say after the next to last round, I know only one player has a chance of knocking me out and the other players are effectively out of the running. I will end up gunning for my big rival. Or another player has already qualified, but now he could effectively kingmake to get a weaker in the next round. Or I know I'll make it if I finish in second place, so I don't try to win the game. The possibilities are numerous. Anytime the players have incentive NOT to win the game, then there can be problems.
- If the game has ties or doesn't accuratly reflect position other than first. Some games "place" doesn't really have any meaning--games that isn't scored on points. This could play havoc with any scoring system.

A possibly better alternative 7-3-1-0 (Note the next higher place scores 2n+1 points of the next place. This system tends to to encorage wins.)

But the most important rule any tournament is: Have Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I was planning on 4 games in the first round if there are 16 players (5 games if 20). All players would play each of those four games. In the 2nd round, there would be 2 games. All 8 players play both games. (I'm now thinking of increasing this round to 4 games also.)

Quote:
Also modifying the scoring system in odd number player games might be necessary
This is precisely what I'm having trouble figuring out. Any thoughts?

I like the 7-3-1-0 system. (Not sure how this discourages the meta-game you mention.) Maybe with odd numbers I could do 7-3-0 or 7-4-3-1-0. What do you think?

I would appreciate any more suggestions that people have.

Thanks,
-TR

P.S. FYI:
1st round - Blokus, Guillotine, Ticket to Ride, Pirate's Cove
2nd round - Catan, Bohnanza (maybe add Carc and San Juan or Wyatt Earp)
Final - Risk 2210 (by request of the students - LOL)

Tie-breaker games (if needed): LotR: Confrontation, Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.