Brian McBarron
United States
Harrison City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I'm looking for people in the near vicinity who would be interested in getting together approximately once per week on a weeknight after work for gaming. We have a group of about six semi-regulars, but too often we end up with 2-3, instead of the preferred 4-5. After exhausting my recruiting efforts by word of mouth, I thought I'd try BGG. A long shot, I know.
Interested parties, reply to the thread, or send a private message.

Thanks, Bri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if my schedule permits gaming that often, but if you all aren't doing anything on the second Saturday of every month, you should check out a GASP Games Day. You could meet many potential recruits. We typically have 30+ attendees. www.GASPgamer.com

This month, I'll be bringing Reef Encounter, Ra, Railroad Tycoon, and Havoc. Plus, I know of a few other games that will be available including Tigris & Euphrates, Amun Re, and Caylus. Really looking forward to this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this fits in with your schedule or not, but on Saturdays, from 1pm until at least 6pm (sometimes as late as 10pm), the CMU Board Gamers meet on the 2nd floor in the University Center (the big yellow-brick building next to Gesling Stadium), overlooking the pool area (above the O). We play anything from Die Macher and Age of Renaissance to

If that doesn't fit, feel free to PM me about your meetings, I live near the zoo, but will travel east for some gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texasjdl wrote:
Not sure if this fits in with your schedule or not, but on Saturdays, from 1pm until at least 6pm (sometimes as late as 10pm), the CMU Board Gamers meet on the 2nd floor in the University Center (the big yellow-brick building next to Gesling Stadium), overlooking the pool area (above the O). We play anything from Die Macher and Age of Renaissance to

If that doesn't fit, feel free to PM me about your meetings, I live near the zoo, but will travel east for some gaming

Are the CMU gatherings open to the general public and not just CMU students?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
ben_ethus wrote:
Are the CMU gatherings open to the general public and not just CMU students?

Yes, they are open to the general public. I've been going for a year, and the regulars are not affiliated with the university. There are a few CMU students, and a few CMU staffers who attend sometimes, though, and keep the club legit for the university. There is a huge game library that has been purchased over the last 10 years, and then several regulars bring new and/or favorite games along as well.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions, but here's a list of some games that I've played there:

Die Macher
Age of Renaissance
Manifest Destiny
Liberte
Age of Steam
La Citta
Age of Steam
Puerto Rico
Caylus
Goa (one of the most commonly played games there)
St Petersburg
Louis XIV
El Grande
Indonesia
Princes of the Renaissance

Or anything else that I've played on a Saturday if you look at my games played. I didn't log everything in the beginning, but it should be mostly there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep meaning to find the CMU gamers. The only time I actually made it out it wasn't being held (probably because CMU wasn't in session) Perhaps after this round of the playoffs ends.

GASP is also a fun group - you get a wide variety of gaming interests met there. Just too far for my slothful ass to make it anymore.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't have much time/need to travel around for games since I'm generally able to play everything that I like with my friends. Hitting up either CMU or GASP one day might be a good way to play games before purchasing to see if I like them or not, and an even better way of playing heavier games than I generally play with my friends. I might have to hit them up one of these days.

Just not enough hours in the week... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
GASP is also a fun group - you get a wide variety of gaming interests met there. Just too far for my slothful ass to make it anymore.

Agreed. Our location is definitely not ideal. We have a ton of space, availability is rarely an issue, and the price is right. But the location is way out there. If any fellow Pittsburgh BGGers know of a more central location where we can reserve an ongoing monthly timeslot, PM me please.

We miss you Matthew. You should come by again sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone does attempt to find the CMU gamers, here's how to do it, at least from Forbes Avenue:

Gesling Stadium is right on Forbes Ave, near Morewood Ave. You should be able to see a cul-de-sac in front of the University Center. Turn in when you see that cul-de-sac, and turn left, into Gesling Stadium (it's the bleachers, but also the parking garage). It's free to park there on weekends.

After parking, leave the garage the way you entered it (assuming you're following these directions). Turn left and walk to the entrance at the end of the football field, enter the building there. There are steps when you walk in, go up the steps, then turn left (looking at the aerobics studio), and immediately right (since you won't be able to go straight anyway).

Walk straight ahead, past "Si Senor" and the other concessions, and you will walk into the mezzanine of an atrium. Turn left (past a mural of Pittsburgh), and then turn left again. Walking straight from there, you should see the Pool (looking down on it), and looking right, you should see some board game geeks.

There are some pretty hard core gamers that go to the CMU club. There's usually at least 4 people, sometimes up to 10 people. Not quite as big as GASP, but it's all board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stas wrote:
Agreed. Our location is definitely not ideal. We have a ton of space, availability is rarely an issue, and the price is right. But the location is way out there. If any fellow Pittsburgh BGGers know of a more central location where we can reserve an ongoing monthly timeslot, PM me please.

Have you tried Phantom of the Attic in Oakland? No parking lot, but the second floor of the store is pretty much all tables for playing. It's not as big as the church, but you might check it out.

Another possibility is that you could probably use the same space that the CMU Board game club uses. As I mentioned in a previous post, most of the people who show up for the CMU club are not CMU-affiliated anyway, and there is definitely a ton of space where we meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robertson
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some talk has recently sprung up on the GASP forums about starting up a monthly gaming session in East Pittsburgh. Nothing's definitive yet, but you can follow the thread on the GASP forum for updates.

http://eonsreach.com/gaspforum/index.php?topic=187.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anticole
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll springboard off of Jim's comments to note that there now is a finalized a time and location for a GASP-Eastern Front Games Night. Hopefully this will work out to be a nice supplement to GASP's traditional monthly Game Days (2nd Saturday of each month) in the South Hills.

Friday, June 2nd
6-10 p.m.
Java Trails Coffee
Norwin Towne Square
North Huntingdon, PA

We have a back room reserved with space for around two dozen folks. You can follow the thread listed by Jim previously for more information or just send a message my way.

I'm looking forward to the evening and hope to see lots of folks there. Maybe we'll make it an every-other-month sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoking males over 40 can play Saturday evenings at Winsome Games. Contact info is given in the rulebook of every Winsome game, like Age of Steam.
Alle Deutsche sind willkommen, ich brauche die Uebung!

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robertson
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
Smoking males over 40 can play Saturday evenings at Winsome Games. Contact info is given in the rulebook of every Winsome game, like Age of Steam.

Wow, that's a pretty limited audience. Where is Winsome games located exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yoodle wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:

Wow, that's a pretty limited audience. Where is Winsome Games located exactly?

My place in Edgewood, the Regent Square area, by Frick Park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.