Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Looks like a "delay, let 'em attack you, retreat with minor losses" strategy, then counter-attack on your turn if you draw good cards (which is quite possible since you get seven). Gotta hold a lotta cards at all times, I'd think....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B.
United States
Frostburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, remember, if the game is properly balanced, Prussia should win about 1/4 of the time.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prussia's strategy is actually quite boring, but one that it is well suited for (no pun intended) given all the different cards in hand, and that is to always be retreating by 1. With perhaps the occassional smackdown but only in cases of overflow of cards in a suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't won as Prussia yet (I've lost to Russia, Austria, and the Imperial Army), but here are some things I did last night as Prussia which helped Russia win in the 7th or 8th turn.
- Pick the wrong time to not run away. In an early fight with Austria, I had a chance to retreat with a loss of 2. I didn't; he was tougher than I thought, and my two generals, with a combined strength of 12, retreated with a loss of 10. Ouch!
- Spend all your spades on building new guys, on a turn when you're probably going to be attacked in spades in three different places. I don't know what I was thinking! I lost 3 generals that turn (two to Russia, and one to Sweden. Sweden!) Everyone thought it was some sort of trick, and wanted me to explain why I was just giving up in so many places. (It would be kind of funny to do that on purpose, though--"let" them notice that you're defending in spades in a number of places, and let them see that you're spending all spades on reinforcements, and make some comment about how you're not worried about losing in spades. Maybe they won't actually call your bluff that turn...)
- Let Russia draw all the Reserve cards. He was holding four of them at the end of the game!
- When you know Russia is one turn away from winning the game if you aren't able to beat him in one of two suits, use two of your three relevant cards to teach Sweden a lesson. Stupid Sweden! That was one I should have run from. (A lucky draw might have made up for my mistake, since that was an attack on Sweden's turn, but it didn't happen.)

Regarding not losing, keep in mind that there's more to it than retreating (and avoiding stupid mistakes). Your opponents generally have to worry about their supply trains more than you do; going after those can slow them down. (Last night I was able to take stomp four or five of them, which was fun.)

(Ha ha ha, here's one other way to "lose": after the game, Russia was showing off the sheet with his generals on it--"look, I'm at my maximum!"--they were all at 8. Dude, your maximum is 16!)

verandi wrote:
Prussia's strategy is actually quite boring

Ha ha, right, that must have been boredom sweat I was having.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
Prussia's strategy is actually quite boring, but one that it is well suited for (no pun intended) given all the different cards in hand, and that is to always be retreating by 1. With perhaps the occassional smackdown but only in cases of overflow of cards in a suit.

This strategy only works until the other players find out that they can throw five or six attacks at you each turn. Your whittled down armies has to play the first card each battle, and the last (sometimes this is the same), therfore you play one card more then the alliance in each battle, as well as losing one army. This seems to work for a while, but your hand will soom be much smaller than austrias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.