Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About two years ago I bought a copy of Diplomacy thinking it would be great fun to play with my friends. Most of them are not gamers. A couple of them sounded like they might want to try it, but the others kind of vetoed it. It sits sadly unplayed. The most I could ever hope to have playing it face to face would be three. I read online about playing through email, but never had a place to leave the board set up for months. (Damn cats!) My husband and I bought a house last fall, so I think there must be a place to leave it set up.

Anyway, what I was wondering is is there anyone who might be interested in starting a PBEM game with me? I'm completely new to Diplomacy and to PBEM. I understand it might involve a lot of work and patience to play with a newbie, but I would like to play this game at least once before I decide to trade it away. My husband may also be interested in playing (also completely new to Diplomacy). I understand you might not want to play against a couple, but I will backstab him just as soon as I will you! Heh. Well, if anyone's interested, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a group of BGG players, some new, some veterans, that have played a few games on http://www.dipbounced.com recently. One game just finished up, and some of the players wanted to play again. Jonathan Nichol (quozl) [http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/quozl] and Michael Buccheri
(malloc) [http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/malloc] were GMing those games. One of them might be willing to do it again. If not, I would be willing. If we can get 7 players to reply to this thread, it should be pretty easy to get started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks for replying. My poor Diplomacy may actually get played. Now to read the rules again and check out dipbounced.com...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can host a game on dipbounced.com if people would like. We just need to agree on the length of turns and a commitment from 7 people for a few months of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in BGG002 on dipbounced.com. I'm interested in playing again.

Thanks to those that host.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I too can host games on www.dipbounced.com

I would be happy to setup/host another game for BBG folks. Reply here if you are interested.

if Quozl wants to host I can play as well.

-Malloc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in BGGONLY and was in BGG002; thanks to the GM's for hosting them.

I'm also a newly minted GM on dipbounced, so if both quozl and malloc want to play I'm happy to run the game. I've got one game going that I set up for my secret santa and his friends.

We also play Diplomacy very informally on Richard's PBeM server, http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv. The players are almost all inexperienced and we use a pbem "gameboard" and adjuticate using jdip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we have:

Mary Tomaszewski (mevitale)
Mary Tomaszewski's husband
Brent Mair (Spielguy)
Joe McKinley (The Unbeliever)
Jonathan Nichol (quozl)
Michael Buccheri (malloc)
Mark Ballinger (thniff)

The last four are potential dipbounced GMs. If everyone above will either play or GM, then we just need one more player.

I played in BGGOnly, BGG001, and BGG002, so I am willing to let someone else play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I can host a game on dipbounced.com if people would like. We just need to agree on the length of turns and a commitment from 7 people for a few months of gaming.

I would like to suggest 48 hour deadlines, with no play on weekends.
Do people like grey (anonymous) press?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
So far we have:

Mary Tomaszewski's husband
Brent Mair (Spielguy)
Jonathan Nichol (quozl)
Mark Ballinger (thniff)

The last four are potential dipbounced GMs. If everyone above will either play or GM, then we just need one more player.

I played in BGGOnly, BGG001, and BGG002, so I am willing to let someone else play.

My husband (Andy) says he'll play if we don't have enough, but otherwise he's not extremely interested. So two more people if possible. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a veteran player, but never tried Dipbounced. I'll join in the fun if that isn't an obstacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players:
Brent Mair (Spielguy)
The Marshall (CapAp)

Players/GMs:
Jonathan Nichol (quozl)
Mark Ballinger (thniff)

We need at least one more participant.

Do any of the GMs listed above prefer not to play? Really want to play? I wouldn't mind playing, but I will glady give up my spot to another GM or an eager player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bandit Ripshawd
United States
Sioux Center
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I'll be glad to play... I'm still pretty new at Diplomacy... I was Austria, for those of you who played the last game... =(, but would love to play yet again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in BGG001 and BGG002 and had a good time in both. I would be happy to play in a third round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont mind hosting. Hosting takes a lot less time. I have played a fair amount of dip over the last year or so. If there are new players in the game It might be best if I hosted.

Also I work with rob olsson so playing in the same game with him might convey us an advantage.

Lets hear form the other GM's and figure out whos running the show.

I suggest 48 hr deadlines with 24 hr grace. No play on weekends.
I am not a big fan of grey press only games, but tend to allow for grey (secret Identity) and white press in my games.

So far with BGG001 and BGG002 i made the game not count for scores on dipbounced. I suggest that we do that again with new players. Also I turn on the orders help options. Something I usually prefer not to have, (bad orders are a part of the game) but the systax learning curve on bounced if a bit steep for newbies. So to keep them interested I allow for orders help. Also the whatif engine is helpful as well.

So I am throwing my hat in to host. lets get a final list of players.

For those who have not played on www.dipbounced.com you will need to get a username there and let the GM know what that usernae is so a private game can be created.

-Malloc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few things I feel all new diplomacy payers should hear before playing:

A few tips for the uninitiated diplomacy player.

1) Remember this is a game. The challenge in this game is to try and get the other powers to work with you to achieve your goals. This can be done through whatever means you can imagine. All is fair in this game, but remember what goes around comes around. Prepare yourself as if you were role playing a maniacal 20th century Rulers in Europe, bent on taking over the world. Assume all other players are doing the same thing. This means that you will never know if someone is lying to you or if they really want to help you. Expect to be stabbed… it is part of the game and guessing when and how someone is planning it can be much of the fun. Remember …… Trust…. But verify.

2) Play to win the game as a solo. This is a key to making the game fun for every player. Part of what makes this game work is the balance of power. If 2 or 3 powers join forces from the start with no threat to breaking the alliance it will give them a huge advantage over non allied powers. In more experienced games the others will see this coming and respond, but in games with beginners this can lead to the allies steamrolling Europe. Be ready to stop strong alliances by forming your own. Remember that even though I say play to win you are free to do this anyway you like. Allying with someone until you eliminate all but 1 other power is fine, but then at least try to win as a solo. Trust me when I say it’s a much more rewarding game this way.

3) know the map. It helps to go read the following. http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/god.htm know what powers tend to clash and why. Understand that Austria and Turkey usually don't ally and why when they do the surprise can be an advantage to them.

4) attempt at least a bit to write press in character. This is a hard one and I usually can only do this for a while in a game before it falls apart, however (IMHO) the game is a blast when press is written in character rather than an agreement on a bunch of moves. Also playing in character helps blunt stabs, the character was stabbed and can react however would be appropriate not you as a person.

5) Enjoy yourself. If you find for whatever reason you are not having fun then let the GM know and they will replace you. This game is not for everyone so do not feel bad if you dislike it. The others will have a better time if someone who enjoys playing is in your spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy - BGG003

Players
1) Mary Tomaszewski (mevitale)
2) Brent Mair (Spielguy)
3) The Marshall (CapAp)
4) Bandit Ripshawd (Bandit Ripshawd)
5) Rob Olsson (raolsson)
6) Mark Ballinger (thniff)
7) Jonathan Nichol (quozl)

GM

Alternate

Settings
Standard Diplomacy
48 hr deadlines
24 hr grace period
No play on weekends
White & grey press
No statistics
Help enabled

If everyone sends their dipbounced id to malloc, we'll be ready to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
post usernames here its easier than mail.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
post usernames here its easier than mail.

-M

Oops I just sent a PM. I'll post it here, too. My id on bounced is tamsin.

Thanks for hosting, thanks to the Unbeliever for kind of running this thread, and thanks to everyone who signed up to play. I hope my first experience with Diplomacy is fun, even if I lose horribly.

Would it be ok if we didn't start the game till Monday so I have some time to read through the rules and the link malloc posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm markball on dipbounced. Thanks to malloc and unbeliever for setting this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought...

You might want to consider not assigning the new(er) players Austria or Italy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In setting up the one game I'm running on dipbounced I saw the choice for player country selection. How does that work on dipbounced? When we connect to the game is there a choice box, is it done as on the judges with something like

I[AERF]TG

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thniff wrote:
In setting up the one game I'm running on dipbounced I saw the choice for player country selection. How does that work on dipbounced? When we connect to the game is there a choice box, is it done as on the judges with something like

I[AERF]TG

?

Here's a link to how it works (as far as I can tell having never played):
http://www.dipbounced.com/help/startgame.html#preferences

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
My dipbounced login is spielguy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play such that newer players dont get Italy or Austria, you just have all new players enter "[FEGRT][IA]" and all veteran players enter "[IA][FEGRT]"...

But I'll leave that up to you to decide amongst yourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.