Subject: Looking for solo game with depth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Olson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Good day all.

My wife really ins't into overly complex games. The best she gets into are the simple Milton Bradley board games.

I, however, like more challenging strategic and/or empire building games. I'd like to find a game for solo play that is a bit more in depth than a card game.

Something I can play at the kitchen table while she watches TV, or when I travel for business.

I like horror/detective/empire building/sci-fi/fantasy genre's.

Anyone have recommendation other than a PSP or Gameboy?

I see a couple of recommendations for Runebound. However, looking at the 2nd ed., it says 2 players? Is thsi the correct verision?

Thanks in advance,

-Jayson
New to BoardGameGeek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not played it, but look into Arkham Horror.

Also can recommend Ambush, but not sure it fits your criteria...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian and Keisha Pihl
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings co-operative game works well solo. There is a solo variant but I just play with various number of hobbits with open hands. Friends and Foes expansion is good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarian Prince while a bit old school is still great fun solo and free to download too!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1631

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarian Prince is fun a couple of times, but there is a lot of random dice-rolling involved. Just know that going in. (also note that the "wolves" that attack are horribly broken under their combat system)

I found Ambush to be particularly enjoyable. There are around 10 scenarios in the base game, as well as several expansions. The game takes on a great narrative if you name your squaddies. And even though it's hex-and-counter in WWII, it doesn't really feel like a wargame. I'd recommend it. Worst-case, you buy a copy on eBay, play it, then resell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McCabe
United States
Highland
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes is a pretty good fantasy game that can be played solo. The rulebook is kind of shaky, but the game itself is very easy after you play a practice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Jansen
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spamiam wrote:
Return of the Heroes is a pretty good fantasy game that can be played solo. The rulebook is kind of shaky, but the game itself is very easy after you play a practice game.

I'll second this one, but I think that "shaky" needs to be replaced with "useless". Grab the rules from RotH's game page, and you'll be much better off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Arkham Horror for a solo game. I've played it solo a few times, and will continue too until I can persuade my wife to play which might be a long time.

One thing I have to add about Arkham Horror is that it takes up a lot of space which maybe something you need to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
jaysono wrote:
Good day all.

I, however, like more challenging strategic and/or empire building games. I'd like to find a game for solo play that is a bit more in depth than a card game.

Something I can play at the kitchen table while she watches TV, or when I travel for business.

I like horror/detective/empire building/sci-fi/fantasy genre's.

I see a couple of recommendations for Runebound. However, looking at the 2nd ed., it says 2 players? Is thsi the correct verision?

Thanks in advance,

-Jayson
New to BoardGameGeek

Jayson, people are recommending you try a "co-operative game", where a group of player normally work together against the game itself, and play it solo taking on more than one character, and some classic out-of-print titles; very few in-print titles have workable solo options.

Along those lines, SHADOWS OVER CAMLEOT is another "co-operative" game that couldwork solo with you taking on 2-3 characters. As the name indicates, it's Arthurian-themed:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15062

And it would be just wrong to talk about out of print solo games without bringing up

Chainsaw Warrior: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1827
wherein a Schwartzenegger/Rambo supercommando taken on a multidimensional house filled with demons and zombies,

TimeTripper: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5503
where a crack engineer and stoner in Vietnam tries to use his functioning time machine to visit and escape from various era on his way back home,

and INTRUDER: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2613
which is essentially the most Obvious, Shameless (and very well done)ripoff of ALIEN You Ever Saw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Like to suggest you look into "Vanished Planet"

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7240

Great solo play. Science Fiction Theme. Co-operative game. Excellent Depth. Components are very nice. AND it will scale up to 6 players.
Was a huge surprise to me how great this game is.
Give it a shot.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm partial to the Vesuvius Incident. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2324

It really does a great job of capturing the feel of an Aliens -type movie. However, the rules are a bit weighty, so you need to be willing to go through them carefully before your first game, and again afterward to see what you missed. I've been itching to play this one lately.

Chainsaw Warrior is fun, too, but hard to find outside the computer adaptation. If you like the original Star Trek series, there is a Star Trek III set of three solo games. I played two of them a couple times each and quite enjoyed them, but got a trade offer I couldn't refuse. I've since seen it go for fairly cheap, so I may even pick up another copy someday just to try out that third game. Again, there was a fair bit to the rules: more than a typical Eurogame, but less than most wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.