Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Most people seem to agree that the player pieces in Carcassonne are meeples (after all, it was the game which inspired the neologism, according to popular history, e.g. as in threads like History of the Meeple).

But what exactly is a meeple?

Surely they're not limited to Carcassonne specifically. E.g. in Cartagena each player also has their own color of little people, which surely are pirate meeples:

But if "meeple" is a contraction of "my people", then arguably only game pieces which are assigned to or belong to specific players, and which represent people can be "meeples".

So resources which are not people, e.g. the fruits in Finca, presumably could not be "meeples":

What if they are player-specific but not "people" but merely animals, e.g. dinosaurs in Trias?

Or even robots (e.g. in The Forgotten Planet)?

Or totally non-sentient machines, e.g. cars (3, 2, 1... START!)?

If we indeed restrict it to people, what about "people" who are not player-specific, but are of various types and which are acquired as the game progresses, e.g. the various types of vikings in Vikings?

And what about the material? All these so far have been wooden, but is that an essential property of meeples? Could they be some kind of plastic, like the golems in Essentia?

Can a meeple be metal?

(2017-01-10 edited to replace broken third party image link)

What about the form? All of these so far are thick silhouettes. Presumably a meeple must be a thick silhouette, as opposed to a fully 3-dimensional miniature figure, right?

But must a meeple be monocolor? Or can it be painted to add detail, e.g. these penguins from Hey, That's My Fish!?

And is it required that a meeple be oriented vertically, or can its silhouette shape lie horizontal on the ground, like turtles in Ribbit?

Poll: Meeples
What are defining characteristics of a "meeple"?
1. Are the only true meeples the pieces from Carcassonne?
Yes, all others are imposters!
No, other games also have meeples.
2. Must meeples be assigned in groups to specific players?
Yes, meeples are assigned (typically by color) to specific players.
No, resources and other pieces whose ownership varies over time can also be meeples.
3. Can meeples represent animals?
Yes.
No.
4. Can meeples represent robots?
Yes.
No.
5. Can meeples represent non-sentient machines like cars, ships, etc?
Yes.
No.
6. Can meeples represent fruits and other plants?
Yes.
No.
7. Can meeples be made of materials beside wood?
Yes.
No.
8. Must meeples be monocolor?
Yes.
No, they can have additional decorative colors e.g. to show faces.
9. Is a meeple a thick "2-D" silhouette?
Yes!
No, it could be a fully 3-D miniature figure.
10. Does a meeple naturally stand vertically?
Yes.
No, it could naturally lie horizontally also.
      955 answers
Poll created by russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let no one say we don't tackle the big issues here at BGG.
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
If it's shaped like a very small shorebird would it they called Sandpeeple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Guimarães
Guimarães
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
Let no one say we don't tackle the big issues here at BGG.

I agree. This might actually start out to be the turning point in philosophy on how to tackle the question of "Who am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going to?"

This is how it should be done, you take a sample and study the sample. Then you expand to a larger universe. Way to go meeple people! Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
If it's shaped like a very small shorebird would it they called Sandpeeple?

No, those are Tusken Raiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm a little uncertain... A 2d wooden silhouette of a banana is not a "meeple" but it could receive a name that ends in "(m)eeple."

Surprised that "meeples are wood" is losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say as long as it's a one-piece playing piece then it's a meeple. I can't define the the line between meeple and miniature, but I know the difference when I see 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Guimarães
Guimarães
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiamat wrote:
I'm a little uncertain... A 2d wooden silhouette of a banana is not a "meeple" but it could receive a name that ends in "(m)eeple."

Baneeple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has to be a "2-D" silhouette. That's what makes a meeple. They also typically must belong to a player, but I don't think that's a strict requirement.

Also, if it isn't people shaped, then it merely gets an "eeple" or "meeple" ending. Like "animeeples" from the Agricola expansion or even Vegimeeples in something like Gates of Loyang.

So, I guess technically, it has to be a people shaped item for it to be just a "Meeple."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot!

I got them all right!

except that more people got #2 wrong, it's kinda a trick question.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwfalcon wrote:
I got them all right!

Me too, every single one. Surprising, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you voted "no" to both "Must meeples be monocolor?" and "Is a meeple a thick "2-D" silhouette?" I ask you: Is this a meeple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
2D and made out of wood. I don't think monocolor is a requirement but details on meeples look weird so publishers, don't make those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course meeples can be oriented horizontally. Carcassonne meeples do it all the time when they're farming. Lazy farmers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Apparently a lot of people don't consider these meeples:

They don't belong to a specific player... Yellow (and blue, red, green, and a single purple) 'playing pieces' are shared among all players in Keyflower. The rules call these playing pieces 'keyples'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think meeples must be made of wood, does that mean the plastic figures from Carcassonne: 10 Year Special Edition and Carcassonne: The Phantom aren't meeples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
They are plasteeples or something.

I never played Carcassonne so I don't care what it thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
I can't define the the line between meeple and miniature, but I know the difference when I see 'em.

That's the standard the US Supreme Court uses to distinguish between obscenity and art, so good enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
If you think meeples must be made of wood, does that mean the plastic figures from Carcassonne: 10 Year Special Edition and Carcassonne: The Phantom aren't meeples?

I don't think material matters. Just shape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
Has to be a "2-D" silhouette. That's what makes a meeple. They also typically must belong to a player, but I don't think that's a strict requirement.

Also, if it isn't people shaped, then it merely gets an "eeple" or "meeple" ending. Like "animeeples" from the Agricola expansion or even Vegimeeples in something like Gates of Loyang.

So, I guess technically, it has to be a people shaped item for it to be just a "Meeple."

But if it's derived from my people, it wouldn't be very logical to use the eeple part of the word for things not-people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
MyParadox wrote:

But if it's derived from my people, it wouldn't be very logical to use the eeple part of the word for things not-people

And yet it is commonly done. Although manimals and megitables are interesting words, they don't convey the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted the way I did based on my following definition of the single term "meeple": a meeple is an iconic token representing a human(oid) presence on the game board by a player or autonomous faction, which is realized as a simplified silhouette cutout in wood or other solid crafting material.

Only the above can have the single, simple term "meeple". Other similarly-realized figures can have related names but are not, by this definition, a "meeple". Therefore, the votes were as follows:

* Are the only true "meeples" from Carcassonne? - No; other games have tokens fitting the above definition.

* Must meeples be assigned to specific players? - Well, not always, but the examples given as "community-owned" tokens are not meeples. One example I can think of are the grey builder meeples that are available to whomever wants them each round in Pillars of the Earth, in addition to each player's colored builder meeples. Since the overwhelming majority of meeples are not shared I votes "yes" here, but I think the answers were poorly formed.

* Can meeples represent animals? - Not as such, but I freely use the related term "animeeple" to refer to a similarly-designed token representing an animal. I may make an exception for games in which the primary player "avatars" are animals.

* Can meeples represent robots? - Yes, if realized in the silhouette format of a meeple and a general representative of some in-game faction. Robo Rally's robot tokens are "miniatures".

* Can meeples represent nonsentient machines? - No, those are simply "tokens", such as the example car tokens. I typically call them by the real-world object they represent and imply that they are tokens.

* Can meeples represent fruit or plants? - Not as such, but I freely use the related term "vegimeeple" for many such examples.

* Can meeples be made of other materials than wood? - Yes, meeples can be made of any material; it's their shape and in-game meaning that defines them.

* Can a single meeple be more than one color? - Yes, provided they have a primary color identifying their purpose and ownership as necessary, they can be given detail painting.

* Is a meeple a thick 2D silhouette? - Yes. Any gaming piece realized in full 3D detail is a "token" or "miniature" depending on level of detail. Lathed pieces with some resulting level of rotational symmetry are "tokens", while most other fully-3D pieces are in enough detail to be "miniatures".

* Does a meeple naturally stand vertically? - Yes, but they don't always have to do so. The default family tokens from Agricola are not meeples because they don't easily stand on "edge" and are designed to be laid flat (they also are not iconic silhouettes, but instead simple coin shapes). While meeples can be placed flat on the board (and may have specific meaning in-game based on this position, such as being a "farmer"), they should have other postures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
max_s wrote:
2D and made out of wood. I don't think monocolor is a requirement but details on meeples look weird so publishers, don't make those.

I think it's simply that painting details is very time-consuming and introduces a lot more potential for defects, which are cost drivers. If a manufacturer want to pimp a special edition of the game, they'll typically do so with some sort of miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the originator of the term was making a hybrid of "my" and "people" the logical conclusion if the goal is to stay true to her intentions, that they must be assigned to a specific player, and be human figures.

I like the idea that they're wooden, stand up, 2-D figures. But that doesn't seem to be a prerequisite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hornung
United States
Mission
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* Can meeples represent nonsentient machines? - No, those are simply "tokens", such as the example car tokens. I typically call them by the real-world object they represent and imply that they are tokens.

What if it is a self aware robot. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.