Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm the only one who equates Cartagena with "Candyland for grownups", but I've been thinking this would make a good children's game. I'd like to try teaching it to my children, say, when they're old enough to start Candyland. I'm thinking of trying it in incremental steps:

1. Each player gets 1 pirate. On your turn, draw a card from the deck and move to the first spot with that symbol (occupied or otherwise). Pretty much just like Candyland.

2. Introduce the "jumping" aspect, and add a second pirate for each player. (This could be done in 2 steps.)

3. Introduce a small hand of 4 cards or so. Draw to refill your hand at the end of your turn.

4. At this point, increase the number of pirates and cards in hand. (Up to 6 for each.)

5. Omit the "draw at turn's end" rule and introduce moving backwards: move back to the first occupied space and draw 1 card -- regardless of the number of pirates. (This phase could be intermixed with Step 4.)

6. Proceed to the normal "Jamaica" (hidden cards) rules for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Chris,

I adopted a daughter this year (she turns 2 this month), and was thinking about ways I can design simpler versions of existing games rather than going out and buying "kids" games. One of the games I was thinking about was Isi, the other was Cartagena! I pretty much thought along the same lines you did.

When you figure out how to do the same with Euphrates & Tigris, let me know! meeple

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was planning to do the same with my kids. I have 2 girls, ages 5 and 2 who would love to play "the pirate game" with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old played it (full version) with no problems (other than she can't grasp that an empty hand is a BAD thing).

And I, too, immediately called it "Candyland meets parchisi meets Barnacle Bill."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orcanthropy
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1 could just as easily be a full game of Candyland. I too love teaching me daughter the intricacies of a good game, but sometimes they just want to play a game with pretty pictures or themes that they like. Is Candyland extremely flawed? You bet! But it's also extremely thematic and colorful; something that is very attractive to young children. There's just no way around that no matter how hard I try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually taught my daughter the real rules when she turned 4 (in 2008), and she's played with them ever since. We went pretty much directly from "Candyland with 6 pawns and jumping", so I don't know how much use my original post is, in reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this game up, and wasn't really sure what I was getting into.

My family and I are EXTREMELY new to designer/euro/modern board gaming, but we needed a common activity to bring us all together.

We started with Carcassonne, which all of us loved, and picked up a few others, the current favorite is Labyrinth.

So anyway, I was in the game shop today trying to find Incan Gold or Pandemic, and they had neither (naturally) so we picked up Cartagena instead, based on a few of the reviews I had read/watched. I guess even after the research I did I wasn't really prepared for what this game was. All four of us (the wife and me, 8 year old daughter and 4 year old son) were all baffled by the lack of getting new cards every turn, or the use a card to get a card aspect. We adapted it while we were playing to you could make the three moves and replenish with one card at the end of your move, but the kids still weren't getting the hang of it. So by the end we went full Candyland and just did away with the hand altogether, flipped a card, made the move, next person's turn. Maybe next time we'll give the real rules another shot, but it wasn't really what we were looking for tonight.

[edit]
After some further reading into the forum and the *ahem* rule book I see that we were playing wrong, I read it as you had to play a card to move backward, doh. Rookie mistake. Hopefully we can give it a shot tomorrow and it'll go smoother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you guys I thought Cartagena would be a good game with my kids (7 and 5). That's what the reviews said after all! But it just doesn't do it for us.

The kids can't quite get the strategy, so they struggle. Like someone said, they keep emptying their hand.

And personally it is too abstract for me. I am really one for themed games.

So we prefer Incan Gold, Pick Picnic, Mamma Mia.

Edit: And Archaeology TCG, Harry Potter TCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Colovini
Italy
Venice
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, naturally you don't have to play any card when you move backward!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.