Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a day off of work and while snooping at my favorite store - found a copy of this in pretty good shape...the outside box was a little banged...but, the counters were unpunched and the map board in excellent condition.

I'll post up some pictures of the board and counters later - but, for $10 I thought it was a steal. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
If it's the 1965 Avalon Hill version, it's fun, but nowhere near realistic as far as what happened in the battle. A good game with light
rules to break someone into the hobby with though. It usually goes for
around $12 to $15 on Ebay, so you got a slight deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, slight bargain. However, I can live with that. It is indeed the 1965 version...the interesting thing is reading the rule book. It's so funny, it refers to the pieces as "chessmen". I got a real kick out of it.

You're right, after looking at the rules, it's very abstracted and not "realistic". Light game.

I also picked up a copy of B-17 Queen of the Skies at the same store. In fact, the owner of the store has a lot of OOP games available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that the AH classics are considered abstract versus games like Memior '44 and Axis and Allies. This is a easy to learn simple wargame. I have enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never said that the classic AH game (in this case, Battle of the Bulge - 1965) was abstract when compared to M44 or Axis and Allies. This particular game abstracts elements for gameplay...later verisons provided more detail.

M44 and A&A are by far VERY abstract.

I think that's a result of this game originally being published in 1965...you're correct - it's a light game. Drive on Metz, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
In fact, many wargamers would argue the M44 and A&A are not even wargames. This game is definitely a wargame by any standard--just not one that is particularly well researched (although it was at the time!) compared with more current BotB offerings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawaiiirish wrote:

I also picked up a copy of B-17 Queen of the Skies at the same store. In fact, the owner of the store has a lot of OOP games available.

Where is this magical store located?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun game and I played a lot of it when I was younger (i.e. back in the 70's). For us (there were three of us who played this back in the day), the only issue was that it seemed like the Germans won 80% of the time. Maybe we didn't understand what we were doing (we were like 12 years old at the time!), but it seemed like the US units were often nothing more than speedbumps. Still, we had a good time with it - have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found it well balanced -- but more difficult for the American than the German to play. The Americans are on the strategic defensive throughout the game, but must play aggressively (at the right moments!) and cannily to win.

Between unequal opponents it's easy to achieve play balance without sacrificing the enjoyment for either side, by (a) adjusting the German supply, or (b) adjusting the air strength. It's a truly great game, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too just picked this up at a yard sale recently for only $3, along with Guadalcanal and a few other old AH games. The box is torn on all 4 corners, but the game looked complete (this is the worst condition game of the bunch all the others look in good condition). Having never played it, I think it could be fun. However, I always look at these games as just what they are... games, never being historically accurate or anything like that. So, I may keep this and play it, as this game is not a collectors item.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.