Popular Tags: [View All]
Franklin Lautert
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules for the Deluxe Edition and two rules for the standard game are different from what the fellows that made the FAQ posted here have said. It is in the FAQ that it was elaborated with the help of Knizia himself.

Here is what the Deluxe Rules say:

1) Orcs attacks Frodo with other guy: if Frodo is picked at random and retreats, the other character is NOT automatically defeated and cards are played;

2) The move provided by Shadowfax CAN be done along the river. The second movement HAS to be done by the same character (what if he was killed by Balrog in the Moria?).

Which rules do you guys use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite possible that those new interpretations were made by FFG and not by Knizia. They are fairly minor, overall. They offer only slightly more to the light side, which was disadvantaged in the base game anyway.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Lautert
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the Shadowfax question is minor, but the Orcs issue can decide a game.
But it makes sense to do the "FF way", since Dark is a bit stronger, as you said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Orcs thing is just common sense. Shadowfax, well we already played that you could make any legal move that wasn't an attack. But not that it had to be the same piece as your 'real' move. I think I prefer it not being the same piece- more flexible etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank

If my memory serves me, FFG originally ruled in their FAQ that, in effect, Frodo's ability negated the orcs ability (their deluxe edition rule). Then someone checked with Knizia on this rule, and he stated that the orcs ability transferred to the 2nd character in the region, because, in effect, Frodo steps out BEFORE combat and hence before the orcs ability is checked. After Frodo steps out, the dark text is checked and then the orcs ability is appied to the only character in the region. Obviously FFG, preferred their ruling, and hence have incorporated it into their new version. (I agree that Knizia's ruling is logical, but I think FFG's provides a little more balance)

All of the above should be in on of the early threads here. Also in that thread is the difference between FFG & Knizia on what happens to Shelob when she returns home from combat and finds a white character there. (FFG ruled that Shelob combats the character and Knizia ruled that shelob is lost)
Which raises the question, how does FFG's deluxe edition address that event?

Marc

BTW: how is deluxe, worth getting? and is ACT going to add a version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm with the bgg tournament in the semi-finals (still) now is an unfortunate time for previously settled rule issues to become unclear.

The orc issue doesn't come up a lot but when it does its usually very significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.