Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When gameplay is being carried out on the master board, such as Rivendell, or Lothlorian, can players kill foes at this time?

I ask because in the rulebook it says there are no "turn ends" indicating that the game can't end because of foes at this stage if more than 8 are turned up.

But if there's no active player during master board play (which I assume there aren't), does that mean that no one can take out foes at this time?

thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the Ring-Bearer is the active player during times on the master board and, as such, is able to defeat foes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
bard wrote:
I believe that the Ring-Bearer is the active player during times on the master board and, as such, is able to defeat foes.

This is correct. The Ring-Bearer can pay the costs of any Foes showing to eliminate them. This is particularly useful if there are still Foes present pre-Moria or other skippable board.

Note that the only way to eliminate Foes between scenarios is to pay the cost, use Firebrand, call Gandalf's Firestorm, or use Merry's one-shot power.

Also note that you are not restricted to doing this in Lothlorien or Rivendell. The Ring-Bearer can also eliminate Foes in this manner while between scenarios - between Isengard and Helm's Deep, for example.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that during these master board moments, that in addition to the ringbearer paying foe costs, that the other player who may be holding the firebrand card can play it at that time.

And i see what you say about the ring bearer also being able to kill foes between isengard and helm's deep; since technically that moment where you are simply moving the master board cone along the track is "master board play" and the ring bearer who does this would be the "new" ringbearer (the one who just received it from having the most ring tokens).

Just checking.

thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on both counts, Clint.

As a general rule, all yellow cards can be used out of turn and interrupt the game flow to be resolved. This holds true for Firebrand as well. Same is true for Gandalf. These, and Merry's power (which can also be used out of turn)(if Merry is the ring-bearer), are the only way to defeat Foes that require Life Tokens while on the master board.

The Ring-Bearer that can defeat Foes between scenarios is always the new Ring-Bearer.

-MMM

edit - corrected rules error - Merry's ability can only be used during Merry's turn, so would need to be the ring-bearer to use his one-shot between boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Korell
United States
Robbinsdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The way I read the rules, the active player cannot defeat foes between scenarios by paying the costs on the foe cards. In the F&F rules:

The active player may at any time during their turn defeat...

From the main rules End of a Scenario:

The turn of the active player ends immediately.

There for it isn't anyone's turn when on main board movement or between scenarios. So you can't pay to defeat foes or use Merry's ability. Only Gandalf or yellow cards can be played at any time and thus defeat foes.

Is that correct?

On a related note, if the scenario ends with an activity tile, does the active player get to do an action (draw two cards, for example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F&F rules also say:

"When you play on the Master board, the Ring-bearer acts as the active player and may defeat Foes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
fredyarvin wrote:

On a related note, if the scenario ends with an activity tile, does the active player get to do an action (draw two cards, for example)?

No. The board ends immediately whent he Main Activity Track marker reaches the final space.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.