Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Elliott
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you handle ties?

I'm not sure how common it is, but in the last few games we've twice had problems with the same situation.

There are three people left, the Sherrif (werewolf) and two ordinary townspeople. The two townspeople vote for the Sherrif and the Sherrif votes for one of them. Neither of the townspeople want to change their votes. How does this get solved? Who gets lynched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the version we play. The 'Sheriff' or 'Captain' breaks the ties. Being Captain is quite strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play with a Captain devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sherrif has 2 votes? Seems unfair to let him break ties as well!

Anyway, I say toss a coin for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow state that in the event of a tie, no one is lynched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the result is a tie with ALL PLAYERS VOTING, then this should result in a no-lynch. This occurs in situations where evil ahs reached vote equality with good, but the game is not over yet (due to some of the evil being non-killers (evil support roles) or godo hunter abilities, or whatever). These cases, the no-lynch makes sense.

If the result is a tie in an earlier round, without all players in a deadlock, then (in online werewolf), then the first vote cast should have tiebreak power. These leads to more stable and predictable vote results, which is important so that people cant just snipe at the end.

In an in-person game, the tie situaiton should only occur if the group is in a deadlock. If there are non-voters, they should be forced to vote. When this deadlock occus it results in no lynch, and the evil will make a kill and thus break the deadlock in their favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grixnair wrote:
There are three people left, the Sherrif (werewolf) and two ordinary townspeople. The two townspeople vote for the Sherrif and the Sherrif votes for one of them. Neither of the townspeople want to change their votes. How does this get solved? Who gets lynched?

In this case where a player has an extra vote ability, then it is now 2 to 2 and there should be no lynch. The wolf will eat one of the others to gain superiority.

This emphasizes that the village shouldnt allow these extra votes to fall into the wolves hands.

Note that having a character whose ability is to break ties can work well as well, and it can be a powerful endgame ability. (However, its almost cetainly too storng to give extra votes AND tiebreak to one person)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Elliott
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies!

We don't have a tie-breaker card so I guess that means we'll have to go with a result of no-lynching that day.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meitzler
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if 2 players are tied, then everyone should re-vote, but are only allowed to vote for one of those 2 people. If more that 2 people tie, then no one gets lynched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'No-lynch' is usually bad, especially with just the 3 basic roles, because it throws off the numbers that let the game end with a decision at 3 players.

We make everyone vote, then if it's a tie, we make them discuss more, then if that still wouldn't break a tie, we'd flip for it. It's never come to that though in games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grixnair wrote:
How do you handle ties?

I'm not sure how common it is, but in the last few games we've twice had problems with the same situation.

Either I'm misunderstanding your question or you're playing this weird. If the werewolf has two votes, then you already know who the werewolf is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
If the result is a tie in an earlier round, without all players in a deadlock, then (in online werewolf), then the first vote cast should have tiebreak power. These leads to more stable and predictable vote results, which is important so that people cant just snipe at the end.

In online games, my feeling is that the "first vote" tie breaker leads to players casting a quick, uninformed vote as soon as dawn breaks, even with no basis for the vote, just so they have the advantage if a tie breaker comes up. Of course, it's the way we always do it in BGG werewolf (as you obviously know), but I think it's too gamey.

The system I prefer is that the tie breaks in favor of the person who was first to reach the tied amount. That is, if 2 players are tied at 4 votes, then the first one who got to 4 is on the chopping block. This system has the same capacity to resist sniping as the other method, and it has the added advantage that it is harder to manipulate the tie break by voting early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Elliott
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad News [bnw] wrote:
grixnair wrote:
How do you handle ties?

Either I'm misunderstanding your question or you're playing this weird. If the werewolf has two votes, then you already know who the werewolf is?

Well, the one time I had been lynched a few rounds earlier so I knew who the werewolf was from watching the rest of the rounds. And the other time I was the moderator, so yeah I knew who the werewolves were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Russo
Monaco
Monte-Carlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry as the new extension will remove this problem (at least for the first tie), as something special will happen on a tie, with a new role.
I played tonight a preview of the game extension with the new roles at the Cannes Internation Gaming Festival.
Ok, I say it, when there is the first tie, a new peasant-role, the scapegoat, is killed, even if he was not in the tie-process. But he will then be able to decide who will vote at the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that idea. It's powerful for the villagers because they get free knowledge of an innocent ("I'm the scapegoat") since wolves can't really fake it very effectively, but that can be planned for in the set-up of roles for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grixnair wrote:
How do you handle ties?

Am I just totally missing something here? You said two people vote for one person and that person votes for someone else? How is that a tie? Isn't that 2-1? Haven't the townspeople already won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKeck wrote:

Am I just totally missing something here? You said two people vote for one person and that person votes for someone else? How is that a tie? Isn't that 2-1? Haven't the townspeople already won?

Sherriff gets two votes.
And I don't remember any mention of who the wolf is so we don't know who won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
TheKeck wrote:

Sherriff gets two votes.
And I don't remember any mention of who the wolf is so we don't know who won.

Yeah, I was just coming back to this thread to say that I found out what this "sheriff" character is. Now I get it. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hearne
United States
Danville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I moderate this game, I have a bag with white stones (go stones, usually) and one black stone.

If there is a tie, I invite everybody to vote again. If the second vote is a tie, then I say that we'll have another vote but if this third vote is tied then everybody will draw a stone and the person drawing the black stone is strung up in the confusion that the disagreeing mob has created.

It creates an interesting dynamic. People are willing to sell out another player to assure that they'll not be killed. Upon one occasion, we had a 4v4 tie. One person switched for the third vote but another failed to pay attention and, also, switched. Thus, we had a new 4v4 tie and the attentionless player drew the black stone. It seemed fitting.

I've also seen ties "fixed" by having everybody go "back to sleep" after a certain number of consecutive ties and giving the werewolves a free kill. It's scripted as the werewolves killing amidst all the bickering and confusion.

I prefer the stone drawing as it always inspires a little fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.