Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continue from the http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi... geeklist.

Jon Theys (AnakinOU):
Quote:
Posted on: 2006-01-12 13:24:30 CST
Are the cards that gives you an extra action point per turn really useful? We very well may have been playing it wrong, but every time we've played this game, these cards just get chosen every turn (and passed around the table), and have no real impact on the game other than to punish whomever forgets to take one as part of their turn.

Sterling Babcock (sbabcock):
Quote:
Posted on: 2006-01-12 17:41:35 CST
(jumping in) If I recall correctly, the trouble is, it takes an action to steal the card. It is a powerful card if you have it, but to take it away from someone takes an action. So you are investing an action to get more. But if everyone does it, then the one who does not has other things they can do. (If I remember all this correctly.)

Just to set the terminology. We are talking about the Intelligence Ability to play an additional Wildlife card during your turn.

Sterling is right that it's a break even on the turn played. Actually its a bit worse in that you are replacing a valuable ability card with whatever you draw to replace it (e.g. because you are playing intelligence + Mountain w/draw2 instead of just Mountain w/draw). All turns after that its profit (and quite good profit raising your two non-auction actions to three -- or four non-auction actions if you get double intelligence).

Its worth depends on two things: (1) how often the other players in your game are going to steal it back from you and (2) the special case of being in last place on the victory point track.

(1)Stealing.
In a beginners game diving into double intelligence is the most devastating play to make. If the other players don't figure out its worth and let you keep it all game you'll slaughter them. Against players with some experience expect to see lots of swapping, no one auctioning their ability cards because everyone is trying to use their ability cards to do well with intelligence (if they are not experimenting with a non-intelligence strategy like double food) and maybe the last place strategy. With experienced players they will be mostly trying to get their opponent into wasting their action on intelligence swapping. In particular they might auction an ability card to a player hoping that it will only buy intelligence to get stolen before it gets used.

(2)Last Place w/Intelligence.
I call out this special case because its such a strong move. Given there are four intelligence cards and a limit of two per player, whoever is in last place will be 100% safe from having theirs stolen and everyone else will be open once the last place player owns two. They can sit back raking in the profits from lots of cards. So how does a player not in last place counter this? Two ways. They can (1) either overbid in auctions trying to get into last place themselves or (2) race to trigger the scoring round during which the last place player will most often jump ahead in score (due to their greater progress in the game) There are some other tricks, but they get into other strategies that I haven't covered here.

Hope this helps show some of the depth to this awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intelligence is always very popular in our games of WL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Right....it was the Intelligence cards. I was at work when I asked the question, and havent played Wildlife in quite a while, so I forgot the name. Anyway, in my group, it seemed that everyone spent at least one card per turn stealing Intelligence abilities, and since you re-fill your hand up to 10 cards at the end of (your? every? I don't remember) turn, it's not a big deal. It almost always felt like you had more cards than you could use, anyway, so spending one to keep someone else from getting an extra action or four was a no-brainer....until you forget to do so, in which case another player gets to benefit. It just didn't feel right to me (nobody else seemed to ahve a problem with it, though), and I was hoping I was missing something. I guess not. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said above to spend an ability card for intelligence and only keep it for one move is a poor play. You spend one action to buy it and then your new action to play another card. Why not just play the other card and either keep the ability card for something else or even better auction the ability card to a non-winning player who will steal intelligence yet again? If I'm playing in a game where everyone else but me is burning an ability card every time they get it to steal intelligence but I'm auctioning mine to enable them to make yet another swap then I'm profiting by the auction cost. Plus if they are using their ability cards then they are auctioning non-ability cards which I buy more than my fair share of with the food I make of the ability auction I had. Ultimately you need to see how the other players are acting and respond accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.