Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Collins II
Australia
Sydney
NSW, Australia
flag msg tools
mb
This is my 2nd session report ever and I apologize in advance for any typos. I write this from the memory of a session played almost eight years ago (but those are the best kind anyway).

The Players: WhiteWolf (Me)
Atmosfear rank: Novice

Grim (My brother)

Lex Lucor (My friend)
Atmosfear rank: Newbie

AngelEyes (My mother)

Ulrich (My friend)
Atmosfear rank: Newbie

The Setting:
It's nearing midnight at my residence and all the lights have been turned off. I've called Lex and Ulrich over to my place to play a game we'd recently purchased: Nightmare! Grim, Angel, and I have all played it once and we're eager to play again. The TV is on and the tape is running. The board is set, a few candles are lit, and snack bowls are abundant. Tonights selection features pretzels, M&M's, Mini-Candybars, and a nearly unlimited supply of Pepsi and Mountain Dew. The mood is right...time to play!

The Rules:
Well, it's Nightmare. It's a bit hard to have house rules in this game so we went by the book, not even an occasional pausing of the tape to get more snacks!

Notes:
For those that don't know the game, you pop a tape in the VCR and the Gatekeeper (or Emperor) tells you what, and what not, to do. The object is to collect 6 keystones and 'face your fear' before the tape runs out (60 minutes) or you die and the Emperor wins. The "Black Hole" is punishment for not obeying the Emperor or failing the tasks he sets you to do. You can do NOTHING in the Black Hole but wait until you're bailed out by another player, a card, or the Emperor himself when he's in a good mood (which is like, once during the entire game).

How it Played Out:

Anyone who has played Nightmare a few times knows of those few special moments that really stick out. The naming of the "Old One" (Angel, in this case) and having the Emperor ask if she's dead yet (an emphatic "No!" out of Angel, followed by a "Pity..." by the Emperor).

Admittedly, it's hard to remember much of the game other than those few standout moments. But I do recall being banished...banished to the BLACK HOLE! In fact... I spent more time in the Black Hole that night than any other time we've played Atmosfear. I recall actually doing well for a bit and suddenly...BOOM! The Emperor appears on the TV screen. "You! The player whose turn it is now!" At this point I'm thinking "Oh no". "You're banished to the Black Hole!" the Emperor speaks with a hellish look of glee shining in those nasty yellow eyes. "Curse you Emperor!" I stand up ready to rip the tape out of the VCR and toss it across the room, but Angel warns that I'll be grounded for a week if I break a $50 board game. Point taken, the Emperor is safe...for now.

"Young one!" The Emperor screams with glee... "No not me!" Lex exclaims, being the Young One in this game. "Yes YOU!" the all-knowing Emperor cackles from the TV screen. A look of sheer horror passes over Lex's face. The Emperor knows what he's thinking! He also has a gift for Lex...a trip to the Black Hole!

One of the highlights of any game of Nightmare is the infamous "Staredown" with the Emperor. Basically the Emperor calls upon the current player to stop whatever he or she is doing and have a staring contest with him. This is nearly impossible to win, and if you fail you are banished to the Black Hole for being so weak. I recall Ulrich, about 1 minute and 30 seconds into the Staredown screaming "AAUUURGH MY EYES ARE BLEEDING! GOD HELP ME MAKE HIM (the Emperor) GO AWAY! AUUUUUGHHHHH" It was a true miracle that Ulrich outlasted the Emperor and won the Staredown!

Game Over:

Well, I remember I didn't win, but we did end up beating the Emperor with a mere 8 SECONDS to spare! Who won? Honestly I don't remember. It really doesn't matter who wins in this game, it's all about the experience you have while playing it. We'll pretend Grim won since he was victorious in my last session report (The 1000 Life Magic Game). By the time it was all over we were all laughing and in good spirits, even if it was 1AM in the morning. The game has very little replay value once you've played it several times, but those first few times of playing it are sure to bring about some very memorable moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bailey Crawly
Canada
flag msg tools
Is the host called The Emperor in the game you have? I know in mine (I have Nightmare) he is caled The Gatekeeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.