Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anybody in Melbourne who is interested in playing MR?

To be honest, I don't expect a lot of postive responses; however, I expect even less to the following:

Is there anybody in Melboune who is interested in playing MR, and who knows (or vaguely remembers) how to play?

Come on people let's make this happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Hayden wrote:
Is there anybody in Melbourne who is interested in playing MR?

To be honest, I don't expect a lot of postive responses; however, I expect even less to the following:

Is there anybody in Melboune who is interested in playing MR, and who knows (or vaguely remembers) how to play?

Come on people let's make this happen.

I vaguely remember how to play, then the cold sweats began....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
You mean 6 hours of World of Warcraft was not enough for you?

Is that a "yes, I'm in"? Sure sounds like one.

dougadamsau wrote:
I vaguely remember how to play, then the cold sweats began....

Alright, a little bit of anxiety is good. I'll take that as a "yep, I'm up for it".

Okay people, we now have a quorum; we have 3. Any more takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Canberra close enough? We can even use my copy.

as for remembering the rules ... well ... errrr ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Since Canberra was mentioned, here's a page from the Magic Realm Wiki devoted to Magic Realm player's in Canberra.

http://www.triremis.com.au/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.TCR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kayl
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, if I can't get one going in the greater Los Angeles area with what? 25 million people? ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested? Definitely!

Know how to play? Nope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you had asked me 5 years ago I would have been up for a game but I've since purged my brain of Magic Realm to make room for ASL.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b5mith wrote:
If you had asked me 5 years ago I would have been up for a game but I've since purged my brain of Magic Realm to make room for ASL.

Can't you find it in your heart to give it another go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
b5mith wrote:

Ben

With the completion of the 3rd edition rules project, and the many new player aides and strategy articles now available, Magic Realm is now a MUCH easier game to learn and play than it was five years ago. You can even download the Java version that is under development and use it to get back up to speed... I know several people who, like myself, play both ASL and MR, so it is possible!

Hayden, you might consider adding your name and contact info to the player directory on the Magic Realm Wiki that was mentioned in an earlier post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
With the completion of the 3rd edition rules project, and the many new player aides and strategy articles now available, Magic Realm is now a MUCH easier game to learn and play than it was five years ago. You can even download the Java version that is under development and use it to get back up to speed... I know several people who, like myself, play both ASL and MR, so it is possible!

I've been working through Magic Realm in Plain English and turning to the 3rd edition rules as my reference. I'm getting there, but slowly.

richfam wrote:
Hayden, you might consider adding your name and contact info to the player directory on the Magic Realm Wiki that was mentioned in an earlier post.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Hayden, I'm prepared to attempt to muddle through it all again. I see there is now a 3rd edition rulebook, which I'll have a read through.

I have a mate who knows the game pretty well (in fact, I think he still owns it!), and would probably be up for a game (at Dockers?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanie Kethers
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested...

Cheers,
Stefanie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this is now starting to look very promising.

So much so that I'm going to push on with my reading of the rules and other supporting materials for the next week or so.

Once I'm feeling more comfortable with them, I'll send around a geekmail to everyone who has responded to this thread, and seek to arrange a mutually convenient time to play.

As Doug has suggested (above), Thurday nights with the Gamers@Dockers may be a good place to start. (If you need further details as to venue and times, email Greg on gamersatdockers@gmail.com.)

In the meantime, if anyone else is interested please reply to this thread.

(Note: from my reading of the rules so far, it's quite apparent that we won't get much enjoyment out of our first attempt unless most of us have at least a basic idea of how the game works. And I think it's pretty important that we do come away from the first attempt relatively unscathed, becuase if it gets too bogged down and too frustrating, we're unlikely to get a chance at a second attempt. So I would encourage everyone who's interested to at least skim through the basic structure of the game, even if it's not possible to assimilate most of the detail.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Are the rules available online?

Yep, right here:

http://www.thewinternet.com/magicrealm/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Coutts
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play 1st edition (which I still own), and vaguely remember how to play. I see the 3rd edition rules (and index) is up to 122 pages...gulp. gulp

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dacoutts wrote:
I see the 3rd edition rules (and index) is up to 122 pages...gulp. gulp

True, but also apt to mislead.

For anyone else who's thinking about getting together in Melbourne, don't be put off by the apparent page count of the rules. Here's why:

1. I would suggest that we play our first game in keeping with the suggestions provided for "Learning the Game" at MagicRealmWiki (see http://www.triremis.com.au/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Learning...), which would mean not playing with (a) the hiring of natives; and (b) magic.

2. While the official rules (second edition), for example run to 80 pages, the relevant sections for the first game comprise the first 42 pages. Although, I guess it still isn't easy to get through all of that.

3. Also, rather than starting with the official rules it may be better to start with the following aid: "Magic Realm in Plain English".

(PS: I'm starting to get the hang of the game: detailed; complicated in part; but, ultimately, effecting a surprisingly intuitive simulation.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shone
Australia
Glenroy
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'ld be interested in giving it a go...
as long as there are some nice detailed flowcharts

Cheers,
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.