Catan: Seafarers» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Dread Pirate Roberts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the very beginning of our Seafarers play, we have played that if the pirate ship is placed on a hex containing a harbor (either a harbor tile from the original game or one of the harbor markers from Seafarers), any player with a settlement or a city on that harbor is unable to use the trading benefits of the harbor until the pirate ship is moved. It didn't seem as though the pirate ship would be moved much at all with the original rules (since the robber has such great screwage power), and this seemed more thematically accurate anyway. This way, the pirate has the potential to adversely affect someone almost as much as the robber does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We do that as well, but we also:

1) Allow the person to steal from the owner of the harbour instead of stealing from someone with a ship on the hex.
2) Have the person rolling a seven move the robber if the dice are 2,5 or 3,4 and the pirate if the dice are 1,6.

These changes definitely make the pirate more relevant and also stop the robber staying on one spot too long if one person keeps rolling the sevens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest forcing the roller of a 7 to move BOTH the robber AND the pirate to keep either from staying at one spot for too long. A Soldier card still only moves one or that other, however.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We do that as well, but we also:

1) Allow the person to steal from the owner of the harbour instead of stealing from someone with a ship on the hex.

Yes, we do that... I forgot to mention that, 'cause it seemed so incorporated with the "stopping the harbor" idea.

Quote:
2) Have the person rolling a seven move the robber if the dice are 2,5 or 3,4 and the pirate if the dice are 1,6.

This and ...

Quote:
I suggest forcing the roller of a 7 to move BOTH the robber AND the pirate to keep either from staying at one spot for too long. A Soldier card still only moves one or that other, however.

... this are interesting ideas... I may try them. Even with the advanced pirate abilities regarding the harbors, we still don't move him very often, so one of these might help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Cities, Knights, Boats, etc of Catan today with the "roller of 7 must move both pirate and robber" rule, and it worked pleasantly well (though the pirate kept trading between two harbors because I was the only one building boats, due to the way we started the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.