United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what your thinking, can a boardgame really capture the feel and excitement of a college basketball game. Beyond that, can it capture the feel of a college basketball game between to bitter rivals?

Well, the answer is no. Not really. But it can sure be fun sometimes to pretend.

My copy of the game is the University of Kentucky vs. the University of Louisville. I am unsure of whether or not this was sold in other areas of the country with different teams (like UNC/Duke or something).

Back in the days before March Madness Video games on the playstation, Me and my Dad, Grandmother, Uncle, others used to pass the time playing this game.

First off. Describing the game, you get a board with various squares that have text in them with instructions on what to do. You get two decks of cards (one for each team). You get three dice one for each team that contains numbers 1-4 with the colleges logo on the other two faces, you get a notepad to keep statistics on your team. And you get a scoreboard.

To set up the game. You go through your stack of cards and select five cards which will be your team (each card has a player number and some various defensive and offensive stats on it). Then you put your five players in the stack and this is your on the floor team.

After your opponent does the same thing you set a timer for 45 minutes (one half: so the game will last 90 minutes total) and begin play.

Players will take turns being on offense, on each offensive possesion you will turn over one player from the on floor stack and roll the die, after that you will follow the defensive instructions for that player while you move on offense. Continue doing this until you either turn the ball over, miss a shot and don't get an offensive rebound, or make the basket Defensive and Offensive fouls are also possible.

Lather, Rinse, and Repeat for the entire 90 minute game. You're on court team can be changed at any time during dead ball situations, and your strategy consists of trying to keep the best team on the court for the task your wanting to accomplish. Players will suffer from foul trouble and you may lose that player for the rest of the game if you are not careful.

As for how I feel about the game. I have rather fond memories of it being that I grew up playing the game. But unfortunately have not played it in many years. Looking back at the game and mechanics, I think it would be fun to play again for nostalgic reasons. But I don't think you are going to find a beautiful elegant mechanic here that makes this a great game you'll come back to over and over.

I would love to know if others have this game in copies other than UofK vs UofL or if this was a regional release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've recently been looking for a basketball game that I can play with the kids, or solitaire if I couldn't find an opponent. This one really interests me because it has individual players, but is not based on real-life players. Also, from how you've described the game play, it doesn't sound all that complicated.

How about posting the rules so that I can see exactly how it's played?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can do that if you want. It's nearly impossible to find I would imagine.

As far as the players. The cards are actually based on real players from both teams during that time era. The numbers on the uniforms are how you know. (At least I think so). I can't remember for the life of me who they would be. Copyright date on the box is 1981 I think from memory.

It'll take me a week or so to try to put the rules up. They are actually on a page on the inside of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.