Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Schraml
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what sources you're drawing on for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not pull heavily from a single source, but rather from a variety of sources as I compiled individuals and events that influenced and impacted the Abolitionist Movement and the Underground Railroad in both positive and negative ways.

I worked through a lot of academic library resources online, as well as the Library of Congress, other historical libraries and some documentaries. For example, the game board map is modeled after a period map showing slave holding and non-slave holding states.

As the design progressed, I compiled lists of events and individuals that played a part in the Abolitionist movement and the Underground Railroad. That process was very organic, reading about a topic or individual and then searching for related topics that were mentioned or referenced.

That list was then broken up into the three time periods the game uses. I then tried to represent how the individual or event might have an impact in terms of the mechanisms of the game.

That list was then narrowed down based on what worked for the game and created the balance and tension needed. So there are a handful of cards that didn't make it into the game. But they are not lost. They will be made available during the Kickstarter program to swap out with cards from the base game.

Since this design has been worked on for the last two years, I can't give you sources for all of the cards, but I can share the process based on what I am working on now. I am putting together some additional cards for stretch goals. One is a negative event, based on the burning of Pennsylvania Hall, an abolitionist meeting space that stood for 4 days. The source for the creating the card came from:
http://trilogy.brynmawr.edu/speccoll/quakersandslavery/comme...

I think that went a little beyond what you asked, but I hoped it addressed your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schraml
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it did, thank you! I'm an africana studies major and just finished a long paper on women's role in runaway slavery and absenteeism so I was curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls