New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes yes...too unbalanced. Here's what has lead to the most even and more exciting games of Descent in my group:

Vitality potions - each character can only drink one per turn

Treasure - Treasure cannot be sold immediately for gold equivalent. Otherwise it is the same.

Trading between characters - increased to two movement points per item. This makes it less convenient for one person to go shopping for the party.

There you have it. This resulted in a three-hero game on the first board coming down to the wire - two stunned heroes in pits with little health left and only 4 conquest tokens remaining won because of a fortuitious roll by the third hero to finally off Narthak from long range with the Staff of Knowledge (needing to do 11 damage total to inflict the final 3 wounds to the giant, and succeeding!)

Enjoy.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate on the random item pull per chest? Did you ignore the treasure listed in the quest guide (gold, etc.?) or only one item per hero no matter how many treasures listed (2 copper treasures, etc.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wording was ambiguous - probably because it was too late when I wrote that Basically it is exactly the same as in the published rules except that you can't sell the items back immediately for full value. You keep what you got, whether or not you can use it.

Also forgot to mention that we increase the cost of trading between heroes. Both have been fixed.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Our house rules for bronze, silver and gold treasures are as follows:

All items sold back to the merchant are only worth half as much. This limits the number of times items can be bought and re-sold.

Nobody can purchase silver or gold treasures until a silver or gold chest has been discovered.

We also play that the heroes cannot swap money between themselves.

These three rules really slow down the heroes progression to a managable level. They are all easily applied without too much trouble.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Basically it is exactly the same as in the published rules except that you can't sell the items back immediately for full value.

Sell for full value? The rules specify that treasure cards are to be sold half of what they're worth, you can't sell for full value anyways.
Half of the value is fine I think, especially when houseruling that you must be in town to sell items...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
i.a.m wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Basically it is exactly the same as in the published rules except that you can't sell the items back immediately for full value.

Sell for full value? The rules specify that treasure cards are to be sold half of what they're worth, you can't sell for full value anyways.
Half of the value is fine I think, especially when houseruling that you must be in town to sell items...

Check page 18-19 of the rules regarding treasure. The player can immediately discard the treasure for the money value - not half the money value. My using the word 'sell' above was confusing, perhaps.

Your houserule is the same as mine in that regard, then. You can't immediately turn a drawn treasure in for full money value - rather you must take a town action and the treasure is sold for half value.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says quite specifically in the rules that players cannot trade money.
The one-vitality-potion-per-turn is an official variant, and one which I think is pretty much essential for a good game.
2 mp for trading items is an idea, one which I might consider using. Perhaps 2mp to initiate a trade between two players, which trade can involve transfer of any number of items back and forth (but not money).
Not being able to buy silver and gold treasures early doesn't, IMO, help much. Getting enough money to buy treasures is actually quite difficult, and you might well draw something useless. The main problem with items is the number 3 or 4 heroes get from a single chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
yoacusna wrote:
It says quite specifically in the rules that players cannot trade money.

No one said they can. When I said 'shopping for the rest of the characters' I am speaking specifically of the tactic of using a fast character to load up on vitality potions in town and then hand them off to the other heroes so that they can continue taking battle actions and using fatigue for movement over and over.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.