Subject: Surges! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dirk Vandenheuvel
Belgium
Winksele
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok played our second game of Descent yesterday and it was quiet fun. I am still a bit upset by all the dice rolls/surges/skills that have to be applied when heroes get high powered items. It slows down the game.

But I was wondering. The rules state that maximum 5 surge dice can be used. That is pretty clear, but would that mean that a player can also use a maximum of 5 surges? and NEVER more? It is very easy to get a lot more than 5 right now (with "free surge" skills/abilities/items).

The problem is that damage goes up almost exponentially (as we play now) once players get silver/gold treasure and 95% of monsters have no chance, so I was just wondering if maybe the max 5 surges would solve this problem a bit (by effectively providing a ceiling for damage) and making the fights a bit quicker (as in computing damage) and more interesting for the OL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Fookes
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't have the rulebook infront of me (at work!), but i thought it was that a max of five power dice could be rolled (as there are only 5 in the box that's pretty obvious!) and that the number of surges rolled with those 5 dice could be any number...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only roll a maximum of 5 power dice, and you can only get one surge per power die. But you can also get surges from the red, blue, or white dice, in addition to surges from the yellow and green dice. The maximum number of surges you can get are limited to the total number of dice that you roll. It's possible that you could get a surge on every die, or no surges at all. When you get to some of the gold treasures, and they provide 4-5 dice, in the hands of a powerful hero, that could mean as many as 10 surges just from dice. Add in 1-3 from skills or other items, and you're looking at maybe as many as 13 surges in a single roll.

And that's all legal. Yes, those gold treasures are very, very powerful. Many groups use various house rules to try and give the Overlord a better chance at the end of the game. The most common is to only give a treasure to the hero that actually opens the chest. The remaining heroes either get nothing, half the coin value, or the full coin value of the appropriate treasure, depending on your groups' preference.

Our group is going to try limiting the use of certain surge abilities based on the type of treasure involved: Once for copper, twice for silver, and thrice for gold. This limitation would only apply to ranked abilities that don't have a "+" in the effect line, such as the Frost Axe's "surge: Pierce 3" ability (limited to 3 activations in a single attack, since it's a gold treasure) or the Rune Crystalize "surge: Pierce 2" (limited to one activation per attack, because it's a copper treasure). arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.