Subject: How is this game for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
As the topic says... I am on the verge of buying this to play regularly with my wife. Does it offer a decent 2-player game? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played once,I really enjoyed it.Almost the same as with more people.Of course it's easier to develop your strategy since there's not much struggle on worker's placement but tension, diffucult choices and fun are still there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Weaver
Greece
Lefkas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its an excellent game with 2 players, in fact Caylus plays differently for each number of players and, although very different strategies need to be developed, for each, they all play excellently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I find it a bit superior with 3 or 4 players, but it definitely works with only 2 (it just needs a bit different tactics).
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Let me be the first to say: not fun. Or rather, depends on whether you like to continuously block the one and the same person---I don't. The game works (although you of course need a few different tactics), but it's not as enjoyable with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Let me be the first to say: not fun. Or rather, depends on whether you like to continuously block the one and the same person---I don't. The game works (although you of course need a few different tactics), but it's not as enjoyable with more players.

There's also the opposite possibility: the game can be laissez faire and essentially become a race. I don't particularly like that kind of game (at least a bit of screwage is good for Caylus), but it might work well for spouses who don't want to incite conflict. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Alexfrog has been WAITING for this thread to come up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
I think Alexfrog has been WAITING for this thread to come up!

lol.

I think its best with 2 players. I've played it a couple dozen times 2er.

I usually think things like this are best with 2 players.

Ask yourself: do you like 2 player games? If the answer is yes, then you will like this game for 2 players.

Its all skill and no player randomness, and the provost movement is extremely tactical, instead of trying to guess what the others will do and whether they will screw you or not, and peoples provost movements being based many times on how they perceive the other players to be doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiance and I love this game when it's just us playing. One of the few games definitely worth all the hype

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played Caylus with every number of players it supports--2 through 5. It's excellent for any of them, and I've probably played it the most with just two--the wife and me. We loved it with two.

The game changes a bit with each added person, which keeps it fresh at every level. With just two, controlling the provost seems essential, but the drawback is that you have to spend one of your precious workers in order to do it. And if you put another in that space that guarantees that everything costs just one denier, well, that's a second worker who won't be helping collect resources, etc. The choices change at each level of the game, but they're tough in all of them!

A special 2-player rule: when one of you passes on placing workers, the other must now spend three deniers to place workers in any building but his own. Racheting up the cost of placing workers like that keeps the passing strategy as important as it is with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Schwartz
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it work just with both players taking a single color each or can 2 players take two alternating colors to give it more of a multi-player feel? (Which is how we love to play our two-player Puerto Rico.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works very well as written, with one color each. I suppose you could come up with some wierder variant with 2 colors each, but I dont think it is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the majority. Caylus has played very well with only 2-players using the rules as written. In fact we haven't played with more than 2 yet and it has already become one of our favorite games (my wife and I), 5 plays since Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ice X wrote:
Does it work just with both players taking a single color each or can 2 players take two alternating colors to give it more of a multi-player feel? (Which is how we love to play our two-player Puerto Rico.)

Fritz, that's how I like to play 2-player Puerto Rico, too, but Caylus plays well with the 2-player rules as written. I'd try them out first, if I were you, before trying to play with 2 colors each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Thanks to all who replied. I'm having a blast with 2 players, though I am still a complete novice and I know it. My wife seems a natural, though, and hasn't lost yet (I won't mention how many games that is!). It is really really making me want to play with 3 or more though. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's excellent with 2 players

Except there seems to be a slight rules tweak needed, as my wife keeps winning ...

Actually, there is one way that we played it wrong, but preferred our way
The rules say that when you play two players, the player order flips every turn, which is fine, BUT it also says that you ignore the stables - the one that lets you set player order
We allowed the stables to be used, and so the player in first place can 'spend' a worker to keep first place if they want

We also found that a LOT more blue buildings get built than in a 4 or 5 player game

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played first two player game and got pounded... strategy really is very different tho the concepts are the same. Played a second 2 player game and ran away with it. Not a large number of games, but that will be it for me. I prefer 3 or more.. and really 4 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.