Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
litho chong
Taiwan
Hsinchu city
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I wish to play Age of Steam, railroad tycoon. But, I normally play the games with my wife. Age of steam is not for two players; and I have read that Railroad Tycoon for 2 players is not fun?

So, is there any games about train that is suitable for two and more?

I already have Ticket to ride, and enjoy it a lot.
I have no intention to buy TtR:europe and transamerica/transeuropa.

I am more interested in something that is about the same weight as Age of steam and Railroad Tycoon.

Thank you!

cheers,
litho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Silverton is a nice game that works well with 2, but can also be played with more (I've only tried with 2).

We also play Age of Steam a lot with 2 and it works well, some of the maps are more suitable than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't tried it, but 1860 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12750) apparently works well with 2 players, and BGG weight rating is about the same as AoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, some of the Age of Steam maps are designed for two players. Reunion and Austria were put out by small publishers and will be hard to find until/unless Warfrog reprints them, but you might be able to get ahold of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not exactly like the "train" games you are mentioning, the crayon rail games can be fun with 2 players. I have played Lunar Rails with 2 players and if you like the game in general, it plays well and is fun with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephensons Rocket is fun with 2. It's even better with 3 or 4.

It's out of print right now, but you can find copies around. Rio Grande has a reprint planned for this year sometime. It'll have a map of the US and possibly some changed rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1825 Unit 3 (2004) was also conceived to be 2 player game.
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15999

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mb
You are not limited to playing Age of Steam with your wife, as there is VASSAL (www.vassalengine.org). You can play online against opponents live or by e-mail. Simply go to the site, download the engine and the AoS module and invite someone in the "Players" Section for a game.

When you feel that you like it, go and buy your copy. There are boards for 2 players and there's a 2 player variant here on the Geek, played on the standard board which comes with the game and which works pretty well.

I am currently playing a game by e-mail on the "France" Board (5 players) and I am really enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Freight Train (card game).

You could argue that it's not really 'about' trains per se - except for the shunting aspect. But the cards are nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love 2 player Railroad Tycoon. It's different than 4-6 player, but great none the less. You can play it cut-throat or not and still have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.