Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the terrific efforts of Sean Ahern, we now have an enhanced podcast. This means that if you listen to the podcast via iTunes or some iPods, you can see pictures of the games that we talk about - as well as links to the sites, etc.

Check it out and tell us if it's worth continuing or not.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

And thanks to Sean!!

Tom Vasel
"Real men play board games"
www.tomvasel.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very awesome, only it makes me want some games you're talking about even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
Check it out and tell us if it's worth continuing or not.

I didn't listen to the whole show because I had already listened to it, but I skimmed through it. The pictures are interesting, but don't add a whole lot. I don't have a iPod but instead I'm listening to podcasts in the car after burning them on audio CD. So, the pictures would be lost on me anyway. I would rather just have the standard MP3 files and I hope those stay around as the default version. If the enhanced version takes a long time to produce, I don't see the return on investment.

Another thing to think about are rights to the pictures you include. If you don't have redistribution rights to them, you may be breaking copyrights by including them. I hate to bring this up, but I know it's a big topic for many podcasters. Probably more centered around music, but pictures fall in the same bucket. You just don't have some big industry group watching out for picture infringement like you do with the music industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
Another thing to think about are rights to the pictures you include. If you don't have redistribution rights to them, you may be breaking copyrights by including them.

I think merely putting up a pic of something while discussing it falls under fair use. And as a reminder, a company will [usually] only pursue legal action: a) if they can prove loss of revenue, and b) you have sizable assets for them to take. I think Dice Tower is safe. They are not broadcasting the latest Blackeyed Peas single. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
I think merely putting up a pic of something while discussing it falls under fair use. And as a reminder, a company will [usually] only pursue legal action: a) if they can prove loss of revenue, and b) you have sizable assets for them to take. I think Dice Tower is safe. They are not broadcasting the latest Blackeyed Peas single. sauron

Well, I'm not a lawyer (and have never played one on TV), so I won't state one way or another is including pictures as Tom did with this version of the Dice Tower is legal or not. However, it just takes one person or company to not want their pictures used and the Dice Tower gets in trouble.

For example, I noticed that when Greg Schloesser was talking, they inserted a picture of Greg. Well, they used the image that Game Fest used on Greg's blog when he was writing for Game Fest. Now, the Dice Tower, Tom and Greg are all on Boardgamenews. I have no idea how Game Fest feels about this, but if they are a little pissed about the move, they may not want something they (may have) paid an artist to create. Therefore, they may just send Tom a nastygram. (This is pure conjecture and just a hypothetical example.)

If Tom understands the issue and thinks it's OK, that great. If he hasn't thought about it, he might want to review the issue before making another enhanced podcast just to be safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I put this together for Tom and Joe and I thought I'd chime in.

First the technical stuff. It's an ACC file so it's only playable with iTunes or an iPod. I think you can still burn it to a CD if you use iTunes but I'm not 100% on that. However, you can't load it on your Rio or listen to it in WinAmp or RealPlayer. Not only that, but for now, it can only be done on a Mac, which is why I'm doing this for Tom and Joe rather than them doing it themselves.

The first thing Tom and I discussed were the copyright issues, so it's certainly on his mind. However, neither of us are laywers. I made another enhanced podcast for him to show him what it was like that pretty much exclusively used BGG pictures and we weren't sure how Aldie and Derk would feel about that and I couldn't find their permission page in the new site (hint, hint, Aldie). So we agreed that I'd try to use pictures from company websites, with whom they have a pretty good relationship. If they were talking smack about a game, I probably wouldn't have risked a picture. Of course, then they go and do a top 10 list with 85% of the games being out of print.

So, with technical and legal issues discussed, that only leaves practical issues. It does take some time, probably the length of the episode +50%. Of course, that's putting in a lot of pictures, if I simply divide the show into five chapters and add a few simple pictures it wouldn't take long at all. So is it worth it? I don't know. One place it would be really helpful is for game reviews. For example, when Tom and Joe where discussing T&E wouldn't it be helpful to see a picture of the pieces they're talking about? I think it would really add to a review. Of course, I didn't do that because that would involve me taking a lot of pictures in poor lighting. However, I'm seriously considering doing some "enhanced" audio reviews for other games and uploading them as files.

So, I hope you enjoyed checking out the experiment.

EDIT: for grammer and added a sentence about copyright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
One place it would be really helpful is for game reviews. For example, when Tom and Joe where discussing T&E wouldn't it be helpful to see a picture of the pieces they're talking about? I think it would really add to a review.

Neat idea but...

Just do the video podcast already!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.