Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relics of Legend

My group has played twice with the four small deck expansions that were recently released for Runebound. After the 2nd play, I did some house cleaning.

Each of these expansions has a different theme, but the problem is that for this set in particular, the theme is overly complicated.

In this set, we are given a dozen or so "Banner" cards, each of which is associated with a different animal. Each of them cost the same amount, and each of them is insanely specific and complicated. Here's some sample text, which can be read in this image:

Each time you defeat a challenge in a hill or mountain space, place 1 (exhaustion) on this card. Discard one (exhaustion) from this card to move into a hill or mountain space using any movement die. As long as there are at least 2 (exhaustion) on this card, all spaces adjacent to your hero are considered mountain terrain for the purposes of other Heroes' movement.

Wow, I'm amazed they were able to fit all of that on one side. Regardless of how useful the card might be if you can actually buy it, and then get enough exhaustion on it to use it, is it really worth all the time and effort for possibly delaying another player slightly? All of the other Banner cards are just as expensive (6 gold), and just as complicated, most of them involving messing with other players.

Also, there's 2 of each Banner card. My market deck was about to topple.

The other theme that runs through all of the card expansions is the theme of screwing with your opponents. While lots of groups certainly love to attack other players, and cause them as much trouble as possible, my group prefers to keep this game shorter.

I removed almost half of the cards in this expansion. If your group really likes Player vs. Player in Runebound, then these cards are exactly what you're looking for. Otherwise, you might weigh the purchase a bit more heavily. Granted, there are some great allies in this set, and some interesting weapons. Personally, I'll take all the Runebound I can get, so I don't mind it, but for the more frugal Runebound fans, make sure you know what you're getting into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
How much of the set is worth having if you mostly play solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Banner of the Boar is the BEST early card to get. If you play the Market Variant (A Must if you play with all the item/ally expansions) the best thing you can do is try for the Banner of the Boar. Once you get 2 Gems you will level faster then the rest of the players and they don't really stand much of a chance. I have won twice with a major come from behind victory due to this card. We also place the Relics of Legend in the towns that are associated to them (Kind of doesn't make sense to buy a banner of the boar in Forge) which does make getting the Banner rather easy but there are two of them so in a 4 player game (the most we ever play with due to downtime) 50% of the players will get the banner.

I have not really looked at all the other banners but this one is a major game winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Butler
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:

... but this one is a major game winner.

Yeah, too much so for our games.
We pulled them from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.