Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Through The Desert and have 2 questions.

1. Is this enclosure legal?

c= camel
L= Leader (rider)
| = edge of board
___ = blank spaces

|c
|_c
|__c
|___c
|____c
|_____c
|______c
|_______c
|_____Lccc <-------Can I have my camels in there if they were already there?
|______c
|_____c
|____c
|___c
|__c
|_c
|c

2. In our second two player game we forgot to remove 10 camels of each color. The game played out just fine and we got to fill up the whole board.

Is it absolutely necessary to remove those extra camels?
Does anyone else play with all the camels in a two player game?

Everyone I've played the game with so far loves it including me. I just want to be clear on these two points.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmite wrote:
1. Is this enclosure legal?

c= camel
L= Leader (rider)
| = edge of board
___ = blank spaces

|c
|_c
|__c
|___c
|____c
|_____c
|______c
|_______c
|_____Lccc <-------Can I have my camels in there if they were already there?
|______c
|_____c
|____c
|___c
|__c
|_c

Those camels are all the same color, yes? Then, yes, you may have your camels there... you just count them as the border of the enclosed area rather than as a space within the enclosed area. In other words, the outermost camels of that line of four (Leader + three camels) don't count as part of the border of the enclosure. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:

2. In our second two player game we forgot to remove 10 camels of each color. The game played out just fine and we got to fill up the whole board.

Is it absolutely necessary to remove those extra camels?
Does anyone else play with all the camels in a two player game?

I think removing the camels is more of a matter of the intended game time than space on the game board (otherwise, why would you remove fewer camels for a three-player game when the board remains the same size as a two-player?). I don't think the designer intended for you to be able to fill up almost the whole board before one of the camel supplies was depleted. You're supposed to have a bit of a race to figure out how to get the most out of the limited supply of camels before that supply starts to run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume you meant to close off the bottom of that picture with:

|c

If so, then yes, it is a valid enclosure.

I also agree with Nate that keeping the extra camels removes the urgency of making sure you don't get too ambitious with a single color before that or another one runs out. It won't totally ruin the game, but it would remove that tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications. This game is pretty fun even after having played tons of newer games. I also fixed the diagram and closed off the bottom.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.