United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
A thread to hold conversation about the PLAY of the game.

First topic: When playing two Klingons vs two Feds (using larger ships on both sides) how many turns do your games tend to go?

Background - I played a few games of SFB WAY back but never learned anywhere near all of the current rules. I recently started reading the Captain's edition SFB book while waiting for FC release but quit at page 50 or so. Therefore, I am not all that familiar with the traditional SFB tactics and know that FC varies from them. So, I suspect that I am being far to aggressive with the Klingon ships (not doing well against those pesky photons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Drake
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I have not done a 2 v 2 game yet. I did a Fed CL vs a Klink D6 and it lasted 3 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voderberg
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem to go about 12 turns...which is about an hour...hour and a half...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
12 turns... That's a vote in favor of my being far too direct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fed Hvy Cruiser vs Klingon D7, squadron scale took about 3 hours, but it was the first playthrough. Pretty fun stuff. I had good luck running when he had overloads and coming in when he fired and missed a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dominant Klingon tactic is the 'saber dance' in SFB - and that plays through kinda the same here. You basically want to get as close as possible and sniping without actually getting INTO overload range. Never let him get that overload shot in - you will not win an exchange of overloads.

Remember, you can fire every turn, he cannot. You need to play aggressively - constantly pushing attacks. And if he's in arc - always fire! Since you get the weapon back right away next turn, you lose nothing if it misses.

Basically, you need to keep pushing an attack - but not pushing TOO hard. Playing the Klingong is an art of finding the line of being as aggressive as you possibly can be without being TOO aggressive.

The Federation player is going to be moving in cycles, which is a predictability you can plan with. On turns he is 'hot', he is going to want to get real close and friendly with you. On turns he is not, he is going to want to try and open the range. His narrow arcs and poor turn mode makes his maneuvering predictable then. Keep your speed up, and try to stay off his sides as much as possible.

Pay attention to his turn mode - as it really IS pretty bad compared to yours. You may find pretty often that he has no choice for his next move but to go straight or sideslip. This may present you with the option of turning to face him, but having your #1 shield in his FA arc, or turning aside so your weaker rear shields face him, but you are in his L or R arcs. Generally, of course, it's a bad idea to point weak shields at an enemy...but if you've been paying attention to his turns, and you know you are out of arc of his weapons...it might be something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Palmer
United States
Windsor mill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I have found the sabre dance is less effective due to the reinforcement/volley rules (i.e., you can reinforce fully against the attacks from each ship) and the shield repair rules. I have had success building up a 2 turn drone wave and following it in. Due to the removal of the ADD's squadron and ranged defense, drone defenses against stacks of drones are significantly reduced. A stack of 8 drones will give a Fed CA significant problems in squadron scale. The Feds are also at a disadvantage in that their G-racks can EITHER fire as ADDs or can launch rack drones and they are facing ships with dedicated ADDs. IMO, drone use is key to success in this fight for the Klingons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Burnside
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
One important consideration - the Klingon gained flexibility in arming and speed, the Fed lost some compared to SFB. However, that Photon Torpedo is, after batteries, the most effective way to accumulate power from turn to turn. A Federation ship holding photons effectively has 24 power "stored" from prior turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, drone waves are really scary, especially as defensive fire takes place at range 1...so those Ph-3's are not going to get sure kills when fired singly. I like how the Klingon ships "move" in this game....my recollections are 15 years old, but the Federation seemed to be more forgiving in SFB and it was much more tense with the Klingons.

By the way, if playing the Planet Killer scenario, and you have people who have played SFB flying the ships, dont allow them to have 350 bpv (300 for feds).... The PK has some vulnerabilities that are pretty easily figured out, not the least of which is having to cover 100 hexes and having all their weapons in FA. Once the PK gets in range of the planet, Klingons can fire drone waves + OL distrupters, etc and gut the thing. We did C7 + D7 vs PK and it was pretty easy for the Klingons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Manning
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We played a Fed CA v. Klink D7 in Fleet scale that lasted 2 turns in about an hour. The D7 was virtually gutted at that time while the CA had 1 internal. The outcome was more because the D7 was flown like a Fed. On turn one he flew right up front until about range 3 fire overloaded disruptors and phasers. He go one internal, while my one +4 overloaded photon and 3 P-1's got 13 internals.

On the second turn, the Kling tried to do the same thing. He tried to set it up to come through the CA's minimally repaired front shield. Unfortunately, he lined up wrong and ended up on the hex line so I could chose to take it on either shield 1 or 2. Same thing with him. He fired 2 overloaded disruptors missing with one and 2 phasers. He ended up getting 12 damage which lead to 1 internal for leakage. My response of 2 standard photons (one hitting) and 3 P-1's. I think I ended up with 7 internals.

At the end, the Klingon had 1 disruptor and 1 phaser left. At that point he conceded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Palmer
United States
Windsor mill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
the Klingon gained flexibility in arming and speed, the Fed lost some compared to SFB.

I disagree Ken. The ability of the Fed in FC to dump full OL power with low speed, followed immediately by a speed 24 turn outweighs, IMO any flexibility that the Klingon has. In FC, you still have to do a mental EA and figure out how much power you'll need for disruptors, etc. so both ships will go in with, effectively, 8 power spent already on torps (standards for the Klingon, held photons for the Fed). However, while the Fed can focus his extra power on movement and phasers, the Klingon has to add in potential overloads to that equation and if he does so ends up spending twice as much on the turn of fire on heavy weapons as the Fed. This gets balanced out somewhat on later turns, but for that first (and decisive) pass, the Fed has a definate edge, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Calder
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I addition to getting 2 turns of drones I think the other tactic that makes a big difference is to end the turn in range 6-8 on the rightmost or leftmost edge of the FA arc.

The FED can either fire and have empty tubes next turn enableing the Klink to turn in with overloads. (Thus getting two sets of overload shots to the Feds one) or if the Fed doesn't fire just turn off run at high speed and use erratic manuevering if you have enough power.

Basicly take advantage of the fact that you can fire every turn while the Fed will have reloading turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.